AH FabricationsChris Nott
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: g60leigh build thread. it's gonna get messy

5th Gear

Status
    Got my modified switch back from Scott.
    Has to be installed without the new knob on first so that can fit the trim.

And the final result with new knob installed.

Only a little difference. But I like it.
    Dani_B19 and CMcKenzie like this.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Today's delivery.
    More stockpile ready for rebuild.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

It's supposed to do that..

Status

My Social Networking

Add CMcKenzie on Facebook Visit CMcKenzie's Youtube Channel Visit CMcKenzie's Instagram Channel
    Liking the headlight dial
    Any chance of a link for the bolts for the covers?
    -Callum.
    2000 APY S3
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    If you fit a split-r I will ban you from ASN

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcKenzie View Post
    Liking the headlight dial
    Any chance of a link for the bolts for the covers?
    -Callum.
    No problem. Here you go - http://bit.ly/194DcVj
    CMcKenzie and Adam P like this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Opinions / advice time please.
    The hybrid turbo I am fitting has an actuator installed. Which I presume will be uprated in some way to match the turbo. I also have a forge actuator in my pile of parts waiting to be fitted.

Should I stick with the one installed or stick on the forge one?

2001 S3 (AMK)

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    The top hybrids are using a 12or 14psi actuator. So test them. Or speak to Dan and see if he will set one up for you.
    Saying that I think you can open the forge yourself and change springs.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    The top hybrids are using a 12or 14psi actuator. So test them. Or speak to Dan and see if he will set one up for you.
    Saying that I think you can open the forge yourself and change springs.
    Forge one can be opened with a few Alan keys. I have messaged them to ask which spring matches my hybrid.

2001 S3 (AMK)

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Forge or CR? Like either of them will have a jar of glue.
    Look back to all the forums hybrid builds, they have 12psi+ actuators.
    holds power and torque longer in rev range.
    Stiffest you can get away with is what you want.

I'm sure bill or Dan will chime in and tell a similar story
    g60leigh likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Max boost (according to their web advert) is 24-26 psi.
    Hopefully someone will keep me right.

I've found forge to be helpful in the past but wether they can help with the tech info, I don't know.

2001 S3 (AMK)

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    You need to do some fursther reading on that hybrid of yours. Vs what they advertise as marketing spiel

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    You need to do some fursther reading on that hybrid of yours. Vs what they advertise as marketing spiel
    Found a club gti thread on one. Did Bill and Welly do a build with one.

2001 S3 (AMK)

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Yeh and Dane, and Steve.
    They used to be the best you could get till people started fannying with them.
    Bill used to get one built to his own spec tho because of inconsistencies, so it became common for people to order a badger5 CR hybrid.

The description is abit ambiguous but its a 2283/rs6 hybrid isn't it.

5th Gear

Status
    The one I have is a turbo dynamics MD421:

MD421 - Stage 4 Hybrid turbo comprises:

High Flow K06 Billet Aluminium Lightweight Compressor Wheel
    Re-profiled compressor housing
    Turbo Dynamics designed uprated 360 degree thrust kit
    K04 Large trim turbine wheel with lightening modifications for quicker response
    Re-profiled turbine housing to suit new turbine wheel
    Turbocharger fully blueprinted to motorsport standards
    Max recommended boost: 24-26 PSI
    Estimated Power Output: 340-360 bhp with correct supporting modifications

I'm more and more intrigued to see what this will do with the mods I have.

I'm also getting my relentless down pipe ported with massive help from S3Dave.

2001 S3 (AMK)

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Mines 16 psi actuator, max boost we went was 21-22 psi. More was just converting to heat! Good thing was the b5 mani didn't glow like the relentless!
    its either mapped or broken...

YSN
    Neutral

Status
    So what does the Haldex controller do?

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Ahhh I thought it was a CR one.
    Didn't that guy Jimgrim have that hybrid? Guy with the Ming blue s3, think he's sold up now

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by YSN View Post
    So what does the Haldex controller do?
    Best explanation stolen from web

The sophisticated Haldex based all wheel drive system used in the VW R32 and Audi TT Quattro monitors throttle input, ABS wheel speed sensors, steering angle, etc to anticipate and distribute torque transfer from the engine to the driveline.

Specially prepared Haldex control units are able to alter the time in which the system reacts to these dynamic changes and and how it reacts to them; creating more favourable or aggressive handling characteristics.

This upgrade increases torque transmission at acceleration providing consistent performance with increased over-steer. The torque-transmission is influenced by how fast you press the accelerator down. The Haldex system can transmit torque before the engine delivers torque. At greater speeds the torque will decrease enabling less over-steer and safer driving properties.

The advantages of this HPP upgrade are it’s ability to predict the onset of torque. This upgrade takes into account the TPS signal more so than the OEM software and therefore can proactively begin applying power to the RWD clutch packs before wheel spin begins. As power is increased, more power lock occurs in the RWD unit until full lock is achieved. To summarize, the new HPP is more aggressive with how it transfers power and does so much more proactively than the OEM system. This is ideal for autocross, road racing, and street driving as well as enhancements to poor weather driving.
    YSN likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    Mines 16 psi actuator, max boost we went was 21-22 psi. More was just converting to heat! Good thing was the b5 mani didn't glow like the relentless!
    Is yours a TD too Gops?

2001 S3 (AMK)

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    BBT mate
    its either mapped or broken...

5th Gear

Status
    Does anyone happen to have a list of gaskets I'm best to change while changing the turbo, is also worthwhile getting new oil lines for the turbo or am I fine to reuse mine?

2001 S3 (AMK)

2nd Gear

Status
    Are you fitting a new manifold?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vroomtshh View Post
    Are you fitting a new manifold?
    I already have a V2 relentless manifold fitted along with V3 3" downpipe and sport cat and Milltek exhaust.
    The inlet is standard small port but with a phenolic gasket.

2001 S3 (AMK)

2nd Gear

Status

You need items 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9
    g60leigh likes this.

5th Gear

Status

Thank you. Trip to tps is in order. Pick up a couple of oil filters and some oil too for the rods running in.

2001 S3 (AMK)

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g60leigh View Post
    The one I have is a turbo dynamics MD421:

MD421 - Stage 4 Hybrid turbo comprises:

High Flow K06 Billet Aluminium Lightweight Compressor Wheel
    Re-profiled compressor housing
    Turbo Dynamics designed uprated 360 degree thrust kit
    K04 Large trim turbine wheel with lightening modifications for quicker response
    Re-profiled turbine housing to suit new turbine wheel
    Turbocharger fully blueprinted to motorsport standards
    Max recommended boost: 24-26 PSI
    Estimated Power Output: 340-360 bhp with correct supporting modifications

I'm more and more intrigued to see what this will do with the mods I have.

I'm also getting my relentless down pipe ported with massive help from S3Dave.
    I have this turbo fitted on my car...
    I think what it will do is very much down to who map's it,
    I think 360 is well over what you will see though,
    I need a manifold and possibly WMI to see the best of mine though.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    I have this turbo fitted on my car...
    I think what it will do is very much down to who map's it,
    I think 360 is well over what you will see though,
    I need a manifold and possibly WMI to see the best of mine though.
    Not expecting 360 (but it would be nice) already have the manifold and WMI so on the right path

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status

Vroomtshh can you send me a higher res pic please mate. I cannot make out the part no's

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Latest news is car is off the road with clutch problems. Less than a month after changing it all.
    Gear selection is fine with engine off. With engine on I cannot get reverse at all and the others are very difficult to engage. If I get it in first and sit with clutch fully depressed it creeps forward still.
    So obviously it's not fully disengaging.

Hopefully it will be something like needing bleeding. But knowing my luck it will be something more expensive.

My IE rods have landed in the UK just waiting for them to be delivered or the tax bill to arrive.

2001 S3 (AMK)

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Was the release bearing changed?

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah that's part of the slave cylinder in these isn't it? That was done with a genuine LUK part.

2001 S3 (AMK)

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Yeh
    Maybe it just needs bleeding. Or you have a leak

5th Gear

Status
    Really hope its something as simple as that. Is it just bled from the front of the master cylinder?

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Would an air leak cause this? Found a split in pipe near master cylinder.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Bottom hose (90 degree bend) in pic was hissing air.

Done a Sunday no parts available fix with black silicone.

Is this a possible cause for the clutch problem? Anyone able to identify the part for me to get a replacement?

Cheers.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Few more pieces finally arrived

Hopefully get clutch sorted at weekend and can then get started putting all of these in.

Also got this as it was cheap and hopefully make it easier moving around my garage.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    Clutch fault turned out to be.
    The mechanic hadn't tightened the bolts on the pressure plate. This coming loose has meant that pressing pedal has bust seals in the slave cylinder.

Anyway I have finally got it back today. Only had time for a very quick blast but big grins again.
    Plan on getting my haldex blue fitted end of the week or next weekend.
    Will then have a few weeks enjoying the car again and then...

It will be off for its open heart surgery.
    Scullies likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

5th Gear

Status
    My general rule, weld or loctite any important bolts

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    My general rule, weld or loctite any important bolts
    I'm sure my clutch kit came with a little sachet of something similar to loctite for the pressure plate bolts
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Not sure if it did or didn't. I don't remember seeing one but it could of been in there.

I actually think that he hadn't even tightened them though.

All working now anyway. Onward and upward.
    Westy likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g60leigh View Post
    No problem. Here you go - http://bit.ly/194DcVj
    Cheers for this will be ordering them to finish off my engine bay tidy up.

Nice thread, will be keeping an eye on this one for sure!
    Hopefully, you received the bits i sent by now....
    2001 Audi S3 8L Ming Blue - Rebuild Complete

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast