JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Squirrelofdoom

Thread: Well.....this was bound to happen eventually

3rd Gear

Status

Well.....this was bound to happen eventually

IMAG1421.jpgIMAG1423.jpg

Well, as you see - fuel pump finally went...at least they brought the right tow truck!

Anyway, so gonna get a new fuel pump. Alright if I get a used one, or should I shell out for new? Also, the part number I see is 8L9919051; but what letter to I want at the end of the number? 8L9919051B? 8L9919051G? does it matter?

Also, thought I may as well change the fuel filter at the same time. Just wanted to confirm the part number for this too (my car is year 1999/2000 APY 210hp S3): is it one of these? 8E0201511K - 1J0201511A - 8E0201511H? Also, I remember reading someone who changed their filter recently and the fitting on the fuel lines snapped off? Worth me buying some spare fittings too?

As far as the repair job itself - I'm a little wary on working with fuel items myself, so will probably hand this over to the garage. But if I were to attempt this myself; I should syphon out all the fuel from the system first?

Cheers guys,
    Aran

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Odd starting. Fuel pump suspected?

This was my thread, it's "G" for Gangsta lol
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

4th Gear

Status
    It was my fuel pipe that broke, hbut that was because the last garage to change it had GLUED it to the filter, the pipe was a non return item, a ****er to change (4wd) but only cost £15 iirc
    ​Wish Rachel would let me have my TDI mk5 back

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Get a new one... second hand ones are a ticking time bomb IMO... they are just as worn out as yours...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Down under

Status
    You can get them cheaper without the level sensor. A bit of hassle with the lines but worth the saving. I've got a VDO/Siemens one to fit when I can be arsed.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

3rd Gear

Status
    thanks guys...I'll have a look around for a new one!

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi guys,

Just a quick question on this. I've been researching the pumps - VDO is the original manufacturer yes?

As such, can I buy this one? AUDI A3 (8L1) Fuel Pump - VDO 993-745-117Z | eBay. The VDO part number seems to match the ones used for mk1 TT's so figured it's the same as my car (Siemens VDO Electric Fuel Pump Audi TT Quattro 1999 TO 2002 | eBay)

Or do I need the one with the sender / level attached and all that gubbins like this? AUDI A3 (8L1) Fuel Pump - PIERBURG 7.02550.25.0 | eBay

Thanks guys!!

1st Gear

Status
    Depends how involved you want the job to be as your old sender can be swapped over to the new pump which will work out cheaper.

I paid £180 for a new S3 pump from EPC without the sender so the one for £110 looks too good a price to be right , although it does say 4 bar so who knows. I'll check the box mine came in and get the part number for you.
    S3 Big Turbo

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Sean, thanks for the help! Appreciate you getting the part number for me mate, legend

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelofdoom View Post
    Hi guys,

Just a quick question on this. I've been researching the pumps - VDO is the original manufacturer yes?

Thanks guys!!
    Yes VDO is the original manufacturer fella....that was the make of the fuel pump I got when I purchased the full unit from TPS last month.

Here's the full details...part number and price inc the VAT from TPS I paid last month and Gops is indeed correct...it's 'G' for gangsta
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

3rd Gear

Status
    thanks mate. Got the actual VDO number at all so that I can compare it to this? AUDI A3 (8L1) Fuel Pump - VDO 993-745-117Z | eBay

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Sorry mate, just checked a picture of the box I took and it doesn't have the sepecific VDO part number on there....must be on the pump or maybe something on the bag it came in that got thrown away as everything got covered in V power when it was being changed! lol

Very sad times seeing litres of sweet nectar being wasted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

3rd Gear

Status
    thanks kwistof, no worries - I believe the number is on the part :S

Sean, any luck on VDO number?

1st Gear

Status
    Yes mate the part number on the box is 993-745-117Z , which matches the first eBay item you linked to. At £110 that's a good price.
    S3 Big Turbo

3rd Gear

Status
    boomtown, sorted. Thanks for all the help guys!!

2nd Gear

Status
    boomtown, sorted. Thanks for all the help guys!!
    Hi Squirrelofdoom (sorry don't know your actual name.. )

Did the pump from eBay fit OK? The £110 one? I'm in the same boat as you was... if you could confirm it fits and works well I'm happy :-)

Thanks!

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi mate,

Yeah, it worked and fitted no problem. I must admit that since fitting, I have had a problem where the car can refuse to start on the first try...but it ALWAYS fires on the second try. This could be a myriad of other things though, so I think the pump is A OK!
    russwuss likes this.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    I have the same problem with the not starting on the first try. I solved this by not being so quick with the key, turn the ignition on, wait a few seconds then fire her up, gives pumps a few seconds to prime and let's the immobiliser be disabled (I think the immobiliser was catching when I was trying to start the car and stop it from firing first time)
    2001 1.8T Quattro Sport 89k covered ARY engine.
    Remapped at Badger 5, 213bhp - 235lb/ft torque.
    HS2K cone, FMDV008, Silicon TIP, 18" RS4 (reps), AP coilovers, Catch can, n249 bypass, Toyosport 3" Downpipe/Decat, S3 Front brakes, Polyflexed Dogbone, S3dave adjustable tie bars

Soon to be done: SAI delete, Install the toyosport FMIC i have kicking about in my living room

1st Gear

Status
    Hi mate,

Yeah, it worked and fitted no problem. I must admit that since fitting, I have had a problem where the car can refuse to start on the first try...but it ALWAYS fires on the second try. This could be a myriad of other things though, so I think the pump is A OK!
    Had this myself recently with the cold weather , changed the coolant temp sensor and it's been ok since.
    S3 Big Turbo

3rd Gear

Status
    hmm, how odd. I have changed the CTS recently, and even if I put the key on first position for a while it can refuse to start still or struggle to start - but it ALWAYS starts second time...bit random really, no fault codes...maybe a vacuum leak somewhere

6th Gear

Status
    hmm, how odd. I have changed the CTS recently, and even if I put the key on first position for a while it can refuse to start still or struggle to start - but it ALWAYS starts second time...bit random really, no fault codes...maybe a vacuum leak somewhere
    If you continued to turn it over on the 1st turn does it not start? but does on the 2nd regardless of time ? If so might be a dodgy cam and crank sensor

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Dan,

Yeah, continuing to crank on first turn "can" sometimes not fire the engine. But 2nd is always, regardless of time. I thought it could be dodgy cam / crank sensor too, but no fault codes came up when I scanned...

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi mate,

Thank you for confirming hope you get the issue with your car sorted, ordered my new pump today! Thanks again!

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    I've always had to pause for no more than a second with mine, kind of annoying at first but its just while the pump primes for a split second.
    always thought it was a trait of these cars/engines.

3rd Gear

Status
    not sure really now for mine....no fault codes or anything. I did replace the fuel filter recently too, but no idea how that could affect anything

Down under

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    I've always had to pause for no more than a second with mine, kind of annoying at first but its just while the pump primes for a split second.
    always thought it was a trait of these cars/engines.
    Yeah same. It's like an old skool diesel.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread