Alarm problem

Khufu

Reaction score
my alarm has started to go off randomly over the last few nights, much to the annoyance of the neighbours. I have checked it with vagcom and it says it is the luggage compartment switch.

Anybody else managed to successfully cure this common switch problem or :

1. buy new one
2. can the alarm be prevented from coming on when i lock the car using vagcom

Thanks

I guess it's talking about the boot switch, which should be easy enough to replace and fix the problem - same issue as the doors I'm guessing.

Note to all - don't leave the interior light on over night!!! On boxing day when I got home about midnight me or the girlfriend left the main interior light on! it took 7 hours to flatten the battery, then to my enjoyment it decided to set the alarm off (at almost exactly 7am), battery was so flat that remote didn't work, open drivers door with key still doesn't stop, try key in ignition - no luck. try disconnecting main battery - no luck (should have realised). finally after connecting the battery across to another car for a few mins and turning the key a few times the noise stopped. Then left the car running for about 15 mins and all has been well ever sinse.

Then back to sleep and very annoyed.

Does anyone know if there's a quicker way to shut it up if it ever happens again as ALL the neighbours must have been awake by time I shut it off?

Khufu,

Sorry to hear you've got alarm troubles fella; I've got the t-shirt and I know how much of a pain it can be...

If you want to disable your alarm leaving you in a state where you can lock the car without it going off...

Re-code the Central Locking Control Unit (35) with the value: 00000 (for pre-facelift) or 02049 for post-facelift.

Obviously the old one about "remember to write down the original coding for later restoration" applies...

Regards,

Rob.

Cheers FactionOne. I have taken out the fuse for the horn for the time being plus given it a good slam shut. Will recode it tomorrow, thanks.

I think the latch isn't closing properly when I shut the boot as I can still see the lights in the boot staying on through the fake speaker grills, but if I close the latch by hand they go out . . . .

Had this problem last year. I took the lock mech out and gave it a real good cleanup. There is a tiny arm that gets rusty.
After cleaning up and regreasing all was fine for me.

On my lowly 1998 A3, I dont believe I have a separate siren, my actual horn beeps. In my boot I have my bass speaker and central locking interface only. How my neighbours could hear it I'll never know!

My slight problem is the tailgate may be a bastardized mixture of pre and post parts. Only Ingrams could mistake an R-reg for a post facelift model because it had facelift lights and then think it was an S3 I'll never know (the Xenons and alloys must have sold it!). It was supposedly quicker to use the facelift tailgate than wait for the back order correct part. It all went together fine though, but will leave me wondering what parts I would have to order . . . .

I have just had the same problem with the alarm. I pulled the back panel off and could see there had been signs of water. After pulling off the block connector (3 wire) at the latch, It was full of water and starting to corrode. I pulled this off and it has solved my problem for now although I have no latch sensor but do get a full nights sleep while keeping the neighboures happy.

One question, how do you re code the alarm?