S3 engine replacement

Goubo1

Reaction score
My s3 has had a suspected cam chain failure.it was ment to get towed to the garage today but its not been possible so hoping it will be tomorrow to get the damage assessed.

ive came across this and was wondering if my engine to far gone I could possible replace it with this

VW 500bhp 1.8 20v turbo engine , Audi s3 , Seat | eBay

I was wondering what else I would need other than downpipe intake pipe and a map??

im just trying to see what options I have then decide what I'm going to do but I'm wanting to keep the car as its just had all new suspension and was feeling great to drive before it went tits up

From the pics its got an ebay turbo (GT3076r my ****!), non drilled rods and the pistons look quite low compression... the underslung manifold may not be suitable for a quattro as its very tight in there... with the size of the compressor housing its looks like a struggle to fit... the turbo orientation is different to the normal setup which looks more suited to LHD setups or early VAGs

You would need more than a DP and map... injectors, larger MAF, big intercooler etc... plus custom water and oil lines as these aren't included by the looks and no doubt if they were then they'd be no good for a quatty...

Personally I'd avoid... not worth the money IMO...

<tuffty/>

I know of a forged engine that will be up for sale shortly ;)

Sorry to hear about yours hopefully its nothing to much and your back on the road shortly, know what its like and its not fun :(

I know of a forged engine that will be up for sale shortly ;)

Sorry to hear about yours hopefully its nothing to much and your back on the road shortly, know what its like and its not fun :(

Stacey pm me about the forged engine please, yeah it's no fun at all mate

Yeh i thought spa was longitudinal. But then i think, what difference would that actually make

Some... mines a longitudal mani... it sits the turbo quite low and more forward towards the cam belt than a transverse mani (collector is between cyl 1 & 2 on inline, 2 & 4 on a transverse)... considering the lack of space it can make things quite interesting fitment wise (I should know)... for what its worth I have spoken to Arnold at pag parts who suggests his v-band mani isn't really suitable for rhd quattros either...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: superkarl
Robert, hope all goes well and you can get your own engune sorted. Be a shame not to see your pride and joy not around and all parked up outside your house? Its looking real good by the way. Speak to you soon. Fingers crossed for you.:) x

Reactions: Goubo1
Some... mines a longitudal mani... it sits the turbo quite low and more forward towards the cam belt than a transverse mani (collector is between cyl 1 & 2 on inline, 2 & 4 on a transverse)... considering the lack of space it can make things quite interesting fitment wise (I should know)... for what its worth I have spoken to Arnold at pag parts who suggests his v-band mani isn't really suitable for rhd quattros either...

<tuffty/>
Which seems a little backward when longitudinal BT projects have trouble with tip fitment and what not.
Everything transverse is so US biased.

This is all so funny... I sense a lot of Jealousy...
I have the exact set up in my audi s3 1999 running 480bhp .. and runs perfectly fine and has done for about 2years...
and regarding fitment not a single problem straight in it went and i even have space for a turbo blanket.....

Audi s3 s3 quattro S546098 5

Jealousy. LOL. Yeah, I'm gagging to get a wing peng fan hung turbo. They're great!

it was ben's old car until i took it to Jon at Stealth Racing... oh yeah who also built the engine so it must be propper ****ly built hey ... JOKERS....

I have the exact set up in my audi s3 1999 running 480bhp .. and runs perfectly fine and has done for about 2years...
and regarding fitment not a single problem straight in it went and i even have space for a turbo blanket.....
Why do you sense a lot of jealousy.....? People are just giving there own personal opinion..... If its that good an engine why are you selling it....?

rhd car yea?
got any install pictures of how the turbo sits relative to he transfer box and prop etc?
thanks