Engine replacement

turbobreath

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone can remember a while back, but I posted a thread related to my slipped cambelt and how I was going to go about getting it repaired. I sucessfully repaired it myself and it was running perfectly for a few months until some or one of the piston rings failed and the car was burning serious oil. The piston ring failure was diagnosed by a garage despite me being certain what it was with the clouds and clouds of smoke in the rear view mirror. The car is a 2001 1.8T Quattro, I am having the engine replaced and my question is... the engine code of the engine that is broken is ARY and i am having rouble finding one of these and was wondering if the more readily avaliable AGU engine was a direct and simple replacement? If not, what are the differences?

Thanks for your time.

Yes, agu is fine they just have a large port head. Why not just replace the piston rings, easier than replacing the engine, rings cost about £50. They all you need is a new HG and rods.

What about the gearbox and anything to do wih the 4X4... will this all just bolt on? Apparently the head that i put on was a higher compression one than the one i should have put on probably leading to the damamge, so it would mean buying another head and doing everything again. I think it would be cheaper just to do it this way.

Who's telling you all this? if it's the garage I would suggest you get the car off them and take it to someone with a little more knowledge!

The ARY cylinderhead is off a TT, and with be almost identical to the original and nearly the same as the AGU except the AGU has large ports. There is no way it would have caused the damage as suggested even if the compression was higher, which it isn't, it wouldn't cause the rings to blow!

If your piston rings have failed then honestly just get them changed..

Are you 100% sure it's not just a turbo seal that's gone? That would lead to plumes of smoke.

Not sure what you're asking about the 4x4, will what just bolt on?

I don't think it was an AGU head but one from the a4 equivalent, and if the rings got pinchedd or anything when the valvess hit they may have already been weak. The gearbox won't be replaced, just the bottom end and head... so will the 4x4 gearbox just bolt on identically to the AGU engine?