Alarm problem

spiker

trying to growl less these days
Reaction score
ok - after putting up with the constant hassle of the alarm tripping for apparently no reason - usually after it sets itself when i walk away I need to take some action

I have had a problem with the interior lights flashing too

I understand this has something to do with the door contacts but until I get chance to get back to my garage I need a way to disable the alarm ( not the immobiliser)

Is this easy to achieve ?

I'm having the same problem with the interior lights flashing, plus I've had to disconnect the alarm siren unit as well (the batteries had given up) - it seems strange that you have alarm problems and the interior lights are flashing.....

I am wondering if this is what my problem is as well i.e. could the car be sensing part of the alarm system is missing and sets off the interior light?

use the plastic "wallet key" that came for use in emergencies, this doesnt arm the alarm. It can only be used to unlock/lock doors and start the engine.

open and close the car with the key ......aha i get ya..

DOH !

[ QUOTE ]
ok - after putting up with the constant hassle of the alarm tripping for apparently no reason - usually after it sets itself when i walk away I need to take some action

I understand this has something to do with the door contacts but until I get chance to get back to my garage I need a way to disable the alarm ( not the immobiliser)

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you just press that little button on the bottom of the B pillar that disables the alarm each time you exit?

Cheers, Ed.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you just press that little button on the bottom of the B pillar that disables the alarm each time you exit?

Cheers, Ed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just disables the ultra sonics from working. If his problem is with the door contacts then this won't help unfortunately.

[ QUOTE ]
open and close the car with the key ......aha i get ya..

DOH !

[/ QUOTE ]

The alarm is linked to the locking mechanism, think that locking with the key activates the alarm anyways, but I'm not sure.

Well i tried just the key - alarm still goes off - any other ideas

You can do it with vagcom. Do you have anyone local to you?

which key are you using, your normal key or the special plastic one that looks like a lolipop stick? The dealer said that this one doesn't set the alarm.

Although he did tell me other stories that proved to be not true...

The lolipop key you refer to is the plastic wallet or valet key, this should do everything your normal key does apart from opening the glove box IIRC.

If you get the 5052 or vagcom thingy, you can code out the alarm. Best bet is to plug the 5052 in and read the fault code and try reading the measured value blocks.
Where are you in Bristol as I might be able to have a bitchers at it when i'm next passing through.
PM me

I only have 2 key fob keys - no plastic wallet key

Looks as though I have a dodgy relay - i heard a *click,click* every few seconds coming from the fuse box area, the intrerior lights are flshing, the car wont lock from the inside without unlocking itself again straight away.
The alarm goes off randomly

I kind of hope these things are all rellated - ill get an opinion from my garage next few days - i am hopeless with electrics

I dont have the vagcom thingy but appreciate the offer a4sline

Anyone have any bright ideas before I start removing trim ?

If its not a problem with the door or boot switches then it sounds like you may need a new central locking pump.

"Central locking pump??", you ask.

The locking, alarm, interior and light delay are all controlled via the same unit. This unit also has the pump attached to it.

For whatever reason, it sound like the unit may be faulty as all your systems seem to be playing up.

VAG-COM may indeed tell you waht the issue is, and it might be worth your while trying to source a person in your area who is willing to help you out. There is a list of people on uk-mkivs.net I believe.

Obviously I would start with the cheap stuff first and try to disconnect the wires to the various doors and then then work onto a possible control unit issue.

Central locking pump ? - really

Well today the car is fine - which drives me nuts about electrical issues but I am sure the issue will return

I will investigate - cheers HTC

everything else is absolutely fine - i have checked all the lights,switches and all ok

Drove her again today - door light on dash but door closed - no ticking from the relays and no alarm problem

Would the central locking pump explain the other symptoms ? - interior lights pulsing , ticking sound ?

My trusty garage is an hour away and he unfortunatley isnt there today - looks like I will have to wait another week to get it checked ( my boss doesnt believe that having my car fixed is a good use of company time for some reason ) just a shame I cant disable the alarm temporarily

hey ho -

Soon as I get it sorted I shall post the response up for others - in the meantime any suggestions appreciated