Can I remove my Exhaust Heatshield?

Wicked666

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
Hi Guys,

I have a 1999 A3 Quattro and the big heatshield that covers the backbox had corroded around one bolt so has fallen down on one side.

This is causing a rattle and I was looking to go to a garage this weekend for them to remove it. They mentioned that they may not be able to remove it if the heatshield is protecting any important pipes such as brake pipes.

I'm unable to remove the heatshield myself to check as it involves taking off the backbox.

Does anyone know whether the garage would be ok to remove this or not?

Many thanks.

I wouldn't remove it... its there for a reason, don't underestimate how hot stuff gets... there is no heat shield on my 1.3ltr Mk2 Golf but when I got it the previous owner had fitted a Peco back box which then melted through the fuel tank...

The boot floor will get very hot if the heat shield is removed... the quatty exhaust spans most of the width of the car..

<tuffty/>

Undo the bolt were the shield has corroded and fallen through and refit the bolt with a large metal washer. That's what I did.

as above or tigerseal

I've had the same issues with exhaust mounts and heat shield fixings rusting away but I've patched them up anyway I can. I have a rattle from the heat shield now but I'm going to fix it up.

I have a Milltek exhaust and I have removed the heat sheild and have had no problems. Anything surrounding the petrol tank is still there though its just the very rear sheild

I have a Milltek exhaust and I have removed the heat sheild and have had no problems. Anything surrounding the petrol tank is still there though its just the very rear sheild

If moving then things are less of an issue wit airflow etc but heat will and does build up and will make the boot area very hot to touch... what effect this will have is anyones guess but imo removing heatshielding is not an option as I have seen stuff melt from inadequate heatshielding

My advice is fix it...

<tuffty/>

Mine hasn't got one, but I really wish it did!

Boot floor gets hot as **** as a result, I could leave some pasties in the boot and go out for a track session before lunch, and when i got back they'd be ******!

get it fixed, such an easy job.

Thanks guys,

Will get the garage to fix it as best as they can.

I better not remove it - I have an LPG tank in the boot! Would rather that does not get unreasonably warm.

Your running LPG.... ? Any good? would have thought LPG was not turbo friendly..

I had the conversion done at 75k miles and now at 135k and it's been fine.

The acceleration is slower using LPG but I press the button which immediately switches it to petrol if I fancy some fun.

I think it depends on the type of system you get. If you pay less then the system will be less likely to handle 200bhp.

Definately glad I had it done as I get 200 miles for £28 and I believe any scare stories are because of people using inferior equipment/installers.

Acceleration is still quick by the way. It feels like 170 bhp instead of 200bhp. But sometimes you want to make sure you beat the person next to you at the lights