Badger5Sky Insurance
    6th Gear

Status

Ferodo ds or ebc ???stuff?

Silly question.....I know what most responses will be but the problem lies with price as i'm running cayenne calipers (got them very cheap but not looking so cheap now) the pads have got to be able to take a bit of a hammering as doing some track days in the near future and does get abused a bit lol, im currently running plain ebc r32 discs as these where much cheaper than gsf and oem.
    I have had experiance with redstuff before and found them ok but seemed to destroy my discs (now on the r32's this is now considerably more expensive) and did manage to cook them but this was on the standard caliper
    There doesn't seem to be many options for this caliper but this is what i have found as follows

Ebc redstuff £150

Ebc yellowstuff £170

Ferodo Ds2500 £280

Pagid RS 29 £460+ ooouuuch

Im happy to spend (i'll rephrase that willing to spend) the extra for the ds's as loved them in the past and hopefully will save me on discs but am after yourguys opinions as not tried yellows and someone may know of other options?
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    My money is on the Ferodo's, I'm more than happy with them fitted onto my Brembo's, though they are more abrasive than your standard Brembo/Galfer pads, you can hear them scrap during light braking, but they are good, especially warmed up!
    You say you have Cayenne caliper right? As in the 6 pots?? Overkill in an S3, how have you managed to cook them? extended track sessions?... The problem with 8L S3's is the lack of brake ducting, they generate so much heat during braking with very little airflow to cool them down! If you could modify the front bumper to direct air to your brakes, you may have solved half your problem!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

5th Gear

Status
    I run red stuff and ebc G&D discs and love them! Standard s3 callipers though.

Haven't noticed and excess disc wear either. Gone through two sets of pads and discs are still ok ish
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    DS2500's all day long

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Does nobody use the greenstuff pads on their Audi?

I have them on the Mazda and they are brilliant I find, I realise it's a different car, but I noticed they are never mentioned much for the Audis..
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

6th Gear

Status
    Tarox Strada 112`s are pretty much the same as the DS2500`s and usually cheaper so have a look for those. List them for 190 on europerformance but not sure if they`re for the 6 pots?

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

6th Gear

Status
    They are a bit overkill but really didn't cost me a lot and after falling into the trap of getting boxster rears which i sold and think only cost me another £20 to get this set up with new discs and oem porsche pads, although i expect i probably will change again at some point

Didnt manage to cook the 6 pots although i think that would certinally be a challange

It was on standard calipers with redstuff which i cooked them but also went through a new set of discs in the life of them pads
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Tarox Strada 112`s are pretty much the same as the DS2500`s and usually cheaper so have a look for those. List them for 190 on europerformance but not sure if they`re for the 6 pots?
    Cheers jase definately worth considering not heard anything in particular about tarox strada 112's but never heard any bad press about tarox as a whole and a lot of people think quite hghly of them
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS3 View Post
    They are a bit overkill but really didn't cost me a lot and after falling into the trap of getting boxster rears which i sold and think only cost me another £20 to get this set up with new discs and oem porsche pads, although i expect i probably will change again at some point

Didnt manage to cook the 6 pots although i think that would certinally be a challange

It was on standard calipers with redstuff which i cooked them but also went through a new set of discs in the life of them pads
    I doubt you need to worry, R32 disks 334mm? with 6 pot calipers are going to take some cooking then. So long as you do a no braking inlap, it should be enough to cool things down for anything to warp, unlike my drilled OEM Brembo disks which lasted 500 miles and warped after one session @Rockingham circuit!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post

I have them on the Mazda and they are brilliant I find, I realise it's a different car, but I noticed they are never mentioned much for the Audis..
    I had a lot of friends in the past rate the greenstuff pads quite highly on light hatch's but was under the conception that they were designed for light cars and probably not hold up as well with heavier cars

Probably am completely wrong but pretty sure read it somewhere a while back
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I doubt you need to worry, R32 disks 334mm? with 6 pot calipers are going to take some cooking then. So long as you do a no braking inlap, it should be enough to cool things down for anything to warp, unlike my drilled OEM Brembo disks which lasted 500 miles and warped after one session @Rockingham circuit!
    Gotta admit the disks are in a different world to the standard ones but that also includes weight

As much as i really wanted drilled or grooved disks have to keep it looking standard as possible (well within reason lol)

Bet that was an expensive track day
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Stacey mate, get ferrodo you will not be dissapointed, especially with a track day coming up in 3 weeks
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Stacey mate, get ferrodo you will not be dissapointed, especially with a track day coming up in 3 weeks
    Am definately swaying towards them just was a bit of a shock when got the price

3 weeks getting tight now gonna be doing lots of meaningless cruising and driving to run in in that time, will prob come to a few late night mechanics to rack em up if theres room for one more
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS3 View Post
    Am definately swaying towards them just was a bit of a shock when got the price

3 weeks getting tight now gonna be doing lots of meaningless cruising and driving to run in in that time, will prob come to a few late night mechanics to rack em up if theres room for one more
    Mate they are worth the price and my last set on my old S3 calipers lasted well over a year including a Ring trip and they still had half of the meat left on them when I sold them on.

If you're car is on the road next week you can pop up to mine mate. Got to do the heater matrix and will take about 3 nights I think.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Mate they are worth the price and my last set on my old S3 calipers lasted well over a year including a Ring trip and they still had half of the meat left on them when I sold them on.

If you're car is on the road next week you can pop up to mine mate. Got to do the heater matrix and will take about 3 nights I think.
    Gotta admit i suppose its poportional to the amount of material there so with the size of them pads should hopefully last for ages

Cars at hayward and scotts at the mo should be getting it back at the end of the week just got to put inlet mani on and tip then fill it with fluids and give it a go again and providing it doesn't leak again which i cant see why it would then will be definately set fo next week

Am working sun,mon,tues nights so will be about wed and thurs if your still attacking your car?

Certinally not a job i'd fancy doing on mine but hats off to ya for doing it
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Another vote for DS2500s. They really are amazing pads. I managed to boil Motul 600 fluid at Bedford with Red Stuff pads so I'm now using Castrol SRF with DS2500s which last better. Sadly I haven't had a chance to really put them through their paces but it's definitely stopping better with the DS2500s. I really ought to consider a FMIC and then use the side ducts for braking but the money puts me off. Especially when I'm considering selling up
    2001 (Y) Audi S3 AMK | Forge 007p | H&R ARBs | Powerflex Bushes All Round | Badger5 3" TIP & Jetex JR Filter | R-Tech Stage 1 Map | Brembo 4-Pot Callipers (Monoblock from Clio 197) with Ferodo DS2500 & EBC Ultimax Discs | N249 Bypass | Milltek Cat Back Non-Res Special Tips

Brum brum

Status
    Go for the Ferodos, anything made by EBC is (in my experience) c**p.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post

I've been running them on my A3 (with S3 discs and carriers) for some time now and they're OK to be honest!. never had an issue and they get a mullering and seem to be lasting forever too
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

5th Gear

Status
    Try mintex m1155's I swear buy them and trust me I eat brakes
    Tried all the ebc,ferrodo, and a few others but these have given me the best brake set up that suits my driving i haven't cooked my discs yet and I'm on my second set of theses pads

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl