Engine Replacement Cost

TheButtonz

Reaction score
I just dropped my car off for more work to try and identify the idle issue.

While there I saw a Y reg 1.8t A3 8L - I casually asked about it and they were having done, and I was told it was a full engine replacement. This was due to an oil pressure light coming on, then driving through the EML warning and losing oil pressure.

The cost of this work - £3500.

Would you guys pay that for a new engine on a 2000 8L A3? Or would you consider it a writeoff?

Sorry to start a new thread but I felt I just had to tell someone!

That was my only conclusion. The garage owner had told them, but a3 owner obviously likes their a3!

I'd just go and buy another 1.8t and spend the rest on lapdances and beer, personally...

Each to their own!

meanwhile, back at the ranch.

I picked up my A3 folling the diagnostics (lambda sensor maybe) and the fupping windscreen fell out on the way back. THE WINDSCREEN!

It's slipped by about 1 inch down so no I've got epic wind noise. Thats another #150 I wasn't expecting to pay.

:keule::banghead:

So I was driving back from the garage, and there was loads of wind noise. I pulled over and spent 5 minutes trimykg to discover the fault, only to find that the screen had popped out of all the channels and is now lying loose.

How? Dunno. But it may be the speakers, a jolt, overuse of cleaning chemicals? I really can't think of how. I'll post pics later...

Never heard of that happening, normally it's a b1tch of a job to get the front windscreen out! Maybe it's a replacement that wasn't bonded in correctly? Also, the screen is part of the structure of the body (due to it being bonded).

Reminds me of when I removed my windscreen on my old Golf GTI MKII to work at some minor rust patches near the edge of the screen. Filled and prepped the car and then drove 0.5 miles to the bodyshop without a windscreen. By the time I got there, tears were streaming down an my eyes looked sore and bloodshot - lesson learnt!

****** hell that could have been scarey, it needs bonding mate , never seen that happen ....ever

something else to put in your letter to the previous owner "why put the windscreen in with blutack":ohmy:

Last edited:
****** hell that could have been scarey, it needs bonding mate , never seen that happen ....ever

something else to put in your letter to the previous owner "why put the windscreen in with blutack":ohmy:

Ha ha yeah. It's been refitted and all seems well. The fitter suggested that the bonding had come loose - I suppose it could have been much worse.