Still got the steering knock, what next???

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello all.

Car is back from Awesome (thanks as always gents!) with new front springs, shocks and top mounts, with a tracking setup to boot.

However, the knocking from the steering is still there :(

What next??? Steeering rack??? One thing to notice, it gets worse when I move the steering column adjustment...? Only noticed this on the way back this morning. It would seem that if I "unhook" the column adjuster and wiggle it I get the knocking sound/feeling through the steering wheel :S

Any ideas??

Tie rods. Unlikely the rack it's self. The tie rods have ball joints on them like the track rod ends that can wear as well. Not expensive. Bit of a pain to change but a strong possibilty.

Yeah, wiggle them haha :) should be able to get at them without removing the wheel too :)

So bored with this issue now, Si. Really don't enjoy driving the car due to the feeling that the steering isn't quite right!!!

So jack the car up and wiggle yeah?

TBH they should have noticed this while tracking it.

I would imagine they checked all joints for play before attempting the tracking, if not it's a poor show IMHO

I'm sure they did Byzan, which is what annoys/worries me. God knows what the issue is.

Another note. When at stand still, if I turn the wheel (engine on) very slightly left, right, left, right, you can feel the knock, almost as if it clonks before joining the wheels/hubs to make them turn...?

In which case, it's almost certainly tie rods. Yes, up on a ramp is much easier but just wiggle them as hard as you can. If they are dead, they will clonk and be loose :(

Thanks chap, I have had a word with the local mechanics and they are going to pop it up on their ramps for me later today.

Ive got slight play too jd,i think ive mentioned it to you before, i think mine is a worn rack, sailed through mot though, let us know how you can on with tie rod movement....

I was just thinking about you Dave... no jokes.

I will report back lad. Basically, if the track rod ends aren't the issue, all signs point to the rack (from previous threads and our discussions).

In which case the car will be back with Awesome in the New Year.

I had the same feeling with the Clio, but never got to the bottom of it. However, I didn't do the steering rack...:huh:

was goin to mention them. the joint that let's the track rod end move up and down is the inner tie rod bar which could have failed, think they are £20 each off eBay.

The up and down movement is interesting. The steering feels off on bumpy roads. Hence my thinking top mounts might sort it.

When on smooth roads, M'ways for example, I barely feel it.

No, Si. Not noticeably anyway.

Just got back in, what a waste of 2 hours in the freeeezing cold walking around town.

He took it out, put it on the ramp, couldn't "see" anything...

Think it will just go back to Awesome in the New Year and I'll just get them to check it over and replace the rack and rod ends.

Please don't replace the steering rack!

So many people jump into changing the steering rack in the belief it's that which is the problem. Unless you have fluid leaking there is absolutely no need to change it!

The only other part that could knock on the rack isn't actually part of the rack and that's the knuckle under the dash, you can see this and tell if it's knocking by just inspecting it.

15152_20264.jpg

As you can see from the above picture there is nothing else on there that can really knock as it's all hydraulic!

People change the rack thinking it will fix their problem, and in most cases it will, WHY?? as they still have the tie rods on them, which are the faulty part so by accident the faulty part is changed. Tie rods are 25 quid each.. Even if you where to buy a second hand steering rack I would suggest you put new tie rods on anyway. A new stealer rack is 1000quid.

Finally check the mountings of the steering rack, By memory 4 bolts that could have come loose.