Knock - through steering wheel.

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Today whilst driving over some cobbled roads, I noticed a knock through my steering wheel.

Not sure weather its suspension related, or possibly something on the steering itself (uj??) However i Jacked it up to see if i could find any play having a pull around...But couldnt.

Any ideas?.. Common problems?

Thought possibly subframe mounts, as the rack bolts to the subframe... I think. But not sure how to test/check them.

Any help appreciated.

Callum

Sounds suspension related. I would say its a bush of some sort. I changed my lower arm ball joint which used to knock quite bad but was fine when I jacked it up and checked for play.

Some bushes wont show any signs of play unless they have a load placed on them so jacking up sometimes doesnt help. I would have a look at your lower arm ball joint.

I didnt know we had subframe mounts.

Yeah, apparently its advised to change them for TT subframe mounts as there more solid.
How did you diagnose your balljoint Nattie?.. Was it just the balljoint or complete arm?.
Cheers

Mine used to knock pretty bad when going up into my drive, turned out to be the front wishbone bushes. Got them changed and all is good :)

Well I kinda new what it was when I first heard it. If I when over a pot hole or rubbish tarmac I could hear a knocking sound around the wheel area and if a hit a nasty pot hole I could feel it through the steering wheel.

The knocking used to be in sequence with the up and down movement of the wheel if you get me so I new it was something that was connected to the wheel / hub and thats the only thing.

Ball joint is really easy to change and can be bought seperately. I only changed the ball joint and the knocking has gone, paid £22 something from Euro parts.

You're lucky Nattie, my knocking had the same symptoms as yours and turned out to be a shock absorber! Was a tad more then £22 lol. (and you have to replace in pairs!)