WMI install

S321BAM

I lost the rod lottery
Reaction score
Hi guys,

After purchasing wmi base kit from devils own in October, im finally going to fit it! hopefully before GTI international!

Quick question.......where is the best or common place to tee in the boost control switch? I have a BAM engine

Thanks in advance

Chris

Bit of a hijack here, I've mentioned this in my build thread but @badger5 someone told me that on these 1.8Ts that if you have the nozzle just after the throttle body that it can mix weirdly in the IM and you can end up with the cylinders not getting enough of the mixture. Is this true or hearsay? I was told to do it right you'd want to have four nozzles on the runners to the intake on the head.

Bit of a hijack here, I've mentioned this in my build thread but @badger5 someone told me that on these 1.8Ts that if you have the nozzle just after the throttle body that it can mix weirdly in the IM and you can end up with the cylinders not getting enough of the mixture. Is this true or hearsay? I was told to do it right you'd want to have four nozzles on the runners to the intake on the head.

who told you that?

Dual nozzle one after throttle (smaller nozzle than pre throttle usually)
single large nozzle post throttle is likely to not cool as effectively as its immediately going to be injested by the engine.

Our normal installs for example, single nozzle, with placement close to after intercooler outlet, and if dual nozzle, add a smaller one just after throttle body

who told you that?

Dual nozzle one after throttle (smaller nozzle than pre throttle usually)
single large nozzle post throttle is likely to not cool as effectively as its immediately going to be injested by the engine.

Our normal installs for example, single nozzle, with placement close to after intercooler outlet, and if dual nozzle, add a smaller one just after throttle body

I'd rather keep names out of it as you may know him.

I see, that makes more sense now.

What's your opinions on running ethanol? I hear that at 25% you get a nice octane boost. but at 50% you get the added effect of WMI. Then running a dual map on OE ECU to have standard pump fuel (petrol is worse in Ireland than UK, we don't have the premium stuff here) on one map and the ethonal mix on the other map.

No experience of using ethanol... Methanol is used for a reason... Some googlage may explain why

Ireland.. Joe then..

I can only say what I've done and had work well.

more than one way to approach things often tho... Enjoy playing

Reactions: daithi23
Thanks Bill......

Just been doing a bit of recon in the engine bay......where's the best place to put the relay? Is there enough room to fit the pump behind the bumper by the screen wash bottle where the side mount used to be? Want to be as prepared as possible before I start as I am modding the v1 ah intercooler pipe work to 60mm on the same day

Thanks Bill......

Just been doing a bit of recon in the engine bay......where's the best place to put the relay? Is there enough room to fit the pump behind the bumper by the screen wash bottle where the side mount used to be? Want to be as prepared as possible before I start as I am modding the v1 ah intercooler pipe work to 60mm on the same day

I originally planned to fit my pump in the same place but when I looked closer it just seemed far too exposed to the elements which would have caused unnecessary problems so in the end it went in the boot with a small tank (wish I'd bought a bigger tank though) the relay I fitted behind the glove box (along with the pressure switch) as it seemed like a good place in route of the wiring between the battery and the pump (run internally) but technically this could go anywhere really thats protected from moisture. I also decided to wire an LED from the pressure switch (N/O side) to give a visual indication of when the pump/meth is active.

Have fun with the install And enjoy the results

Steve

Thanks Steve

I am swaying towards putting it in the boot, have been put off buy the car being the family car with a very small boot.

Common sense tells me that the solenoid valve should be fitted close to the nozzle rather than back in the boot near the pump

The kit did not come with a check valve, is it recommended to have 1 as well as the solenoid?

Personally I would, just to offer another safety measure and not relying solely on the solenoid. I thought all the kits now came with check valves (but could be wrong)

Steve

Just a question while we are on the subject, when people install their WMI in the boot, where do you run the hose, in the car behind the trim, or underneath the car?

I'm thinking of following the path the fuel lines take as there is some space near them for a hose to clip into.

Alright the smarter option, I'll do the same thanks

Another stupid question, looking at the devils own kit, it seems that they don't include a map sensor. I can't even see a map sensor that they sell. Since my car wont be running the factory map sensor, I wont have a map sensor to tap into.

Due to this I was looking at another brand that has a built in map sensor and supports a solenoid. Just wondering if anyone had heard of the following brand

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=102

'alcoholinjectionsystems' for those that take their Alcoholism seriously

Another stupid question, looking at the devils own kit, it seems that they don't include a map sensor. I can't even see a map sensor that they sell. Since my car wont be running the factory map sensor, I wont have a map sensor to tap into.

Due to this I was looking at another brand that has a built in map sensor and supports a solenoid. Just wondering if anyone had heard of the following brand

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=102
It comes with a pressure switch that you just hook a vacuum line upto.

I literally just found that on their website. At first I didn't know what it did. Thank you!

How easy is that!!

Just about there with the install, doing an hour here and there in the evenings, ah v1fmic now with 60mm pipework.

Car has stage 2 revo map on it until I go custom......

What pressure is a good starting to point to set the pressure switch at.....was thinking 15psI, but that's just a guess if honest

Got the wmi fitted and up and running this weekend, can definitely tell when I kicks in.

Would it need to be set up properly on on a rolling road, or can this be achieved by logging on a quiet road, if so what do I need to be looking for? Clueless about logging but have a friend who can.

Best results will come from a rolling road but it's not required. Meth will be changing your AFR, is your car wideband?

I don't think I'll get my car tuned for meth, so that if it does fail it doesn't blow my engine. The car will adapt for lower AITs and if it fails the AITs will rise and then the car will adjust accordingly. I only plan on using it on hot summer days.

Hey guys, I'm also looking at getting devils own wmi for my agu k04-001, just wanted to confirm a few things

1. Is the "base kit" referred to in this post a Universal Stage 1 on/off kit?
(just getting confused because Bill is saying they start them at 12psi, which to me sounds a bit like the progressive controller "start" setting?)

2. Is there much of an advantage running the progressive kit over the stage 1 on/off kit?
(it seems like the controllers fail a fair bit and I'm not sure what real world gains would be running wmi below 8-10psi on a k04-001, it's not like things will be getting that hot at this point)

3. I've read that installing the nozzle post tb will provide the best detonation suppression but the cooling effect won't be as good as installing them pre tb and visa versa, is there any truth to this?

cheers

Yes the base kit is the universal stage 1. There's no real benefit setting the activation point at low boost, I learned that when Bill did my map and he adjusted it up to 12-13psi iirc. (It was wust wasting fluid)

I lost all confidence in the D/O progressive controller and stuck with the base switch.
The progressive kit should make it more a efficient setup with more control but tbh I hadn't really noticed much difference between the two. Although I can't fault Devils Own for their customer service I would recommend looking at the AEM kit which seems to have much better quality parts

Steve

Hey guys, I'm also looking at getting devils own wmi for my agu k04-001, just wanted to confirm a few things

1. Is the "base kit" referred to in this post a Universal Stage 1 on/off kit?
(just getting confused because Bill is saying they start them at 12psi, which to me sounds a bit like the progressive controller "start" setting?)

2. Is there much of an advantage running the progressive kit over the stage 1 on/off kit?
(it seems like the controllers fail a fair bit and I'm not sure what real world gains would be running wmi below 8-10psi on a k04-001, it's not like things will be getting that hot at this point)

3. I've read that installing the nozzle post tb will provide the best detonation suppression but the cooling effect won't be as good as installing them pre tb and visa versa, is there any truth to this?

cheers
I start the spray ~12psi... be it progressive or pressure switch type

spray too low, no benefit of cooling when its not got much airflow nor heatload
wasting fluid for no good reason imho

FYI pressure switch means a switch that turns on and off at a particular boost.

Only pointing that out as it had me confused initially when it is a real simple concept