Windscreen Wiper judder

based on this thread, and the fact my month old S3's wiper blades are P155ing me off..

This happened..

Qty Part# Description Vehicle Reg. Price
1 485776500 Bosch Wiper Blade (Front) Audi S3 2.0 2016 RJ16AZW £34.49
1 485776480 Bosch Wiper Blade (Aerotwin Flat Wiper Blade Rear A332H) (Rear) Audi S3 2.0 2016 RJ16AZW £11.99
1 CLICK AND COLLECT Click and Collect Internet Order £0.00
Subtotal £46.48
Coupon Benefit -£9.30
Total £37.18
Payment Required
Store details for Basingstoke Branch
Basingstoke Branch
Unit 7 & 8, Hamilton Close,
Houndsmill Industrial Estate,
Basingstoke,
Hants,
RG21 6YT,
Tel: 01256 774 444,

BAT's fitted today - so far wipe quality is excellent with just a small amount of fish tailing from the heel of the drivers blade.

Reactions: zippster
i fitted mine last night and can also confirm a nice smooth sweeping motion.. i also bought a new rear one to match for completeness..

#damthisOCD

Reactions: Max-Robbo, WarwickL and Rob2k68
New Bosch wipers just fitted all round.

At last a wiper set that is soooooo easy to change. Back in the day they came with a bag of bits and pieces to try and match up to the cars fitments lol

Reactions: WarwickL, zippster and Rob2k68
While out today it rained so that gave me the chance to try out my new Bosch Aerotwin wpers.

One word, fantastic!

Reactions: Rob2k68
I've had a professional detail recently with Gtechnic including the glass coating, and unfortunately I'm getting terrible judder. The detailer has offered to take it off for me, but I'm not sure whether to try these Bosch Aerotwin blades or not instead because I do like the coating just not the judder. Any advice? And how much are we chatting for a set of these blades?

Dead simple. Whole unit clips on. 60 seconds to do the fronts.

Reactions: Pook and Rob2k68
Final question lol, are they easy to fit, do they just clip off as a whole unit or is it slightly more complex?

Yes very straight forward especially if you have wiper service position enabled in the MMI with VCDS.

Reactions: DJAlix
Isn't service position standard?

Reactions: WarwickL and Pook
Dead simple. Whole unit clips on. 60 seconds to do the fronts.
Thanks v much. Might give it a bash, be gutted if I spend £30 and it makes no diff like lol. Ah well worth a punt

I've had a professional detail recently with Gtechnic including the glass coating, and unfortunately I'm getting terrible judder. The detailer has offered to take it off for me, but I'm not sure whether to try these Bosch Aerotwin blades or not instead because I do like the coating just not the judder. Any advice? And how much are we chatting for a set of these blades?
Bosch advise not to use any glass coating and especially not Rain-X.

Make sure you get the later Aerotwin Plus versions as they are better than the original Aerotwins.

The new ones have a graphite coated blade and multifit clips for various vehicles.

Reactions: Rob2k68

Make sure you get the later Aerotwin Plus versions as they are better than the original Aerotwins.

The new ones have a graphite coated blade and multifit clips for various vehicles.
Ok thanks, do you have the product code for those handy?

I looked for the Plus but drew a blank here in the UK.

Reactions: Pook and WarwickL
I looked for the Plus but drew a blank here in the UK.

Damn Brexit ;)

Edit - they don't show directly on the Bosch AU site either. I complained to Bosch that the AT originals I bought were skipping so they sent me the Plus versions for free.

They sell them, just new and not publicised much

Last edited:
Reactions: Pook, pburv and Rob2k68
Isn't service position standard?

It is over here :)

Edit: The manual method is to switch off the ignition then to move the wiper stalk briefly to single wipe position (one stop down from the off position). Then switch on the ignition and once again move down briefly to return them to the base of the screen.

The VCDS mod adds a wiper service line item onto the servicing page of the MMI. This may also be market specific.

Reactions: Pook and pburv
Had severe juddering when I first picked my approved used car up from the dealership, was about to order new wipers rather than the hassle of claiming them under warranty. Before I did, I gave the screen a wipe down with neat vinegar, then washed with soapy water - hey-presto, beautifully smooth wipers.

Had severe juddering when I first picked my approved used car up from the dealership, was about to order new wipers rather than the hassle of claiming them under warranty. Before I did, I gave the screen a wipe down with neat vinegar, then washed with soapy water - hey-presto, beautifully smooth wipers.

Most of us have done that (with various products incl machine polishing, clay bar, IPA) with the issue returning.

Reactions: Pook and Rob2k68
I fitted some Bosch A864S wipers today (sportback) and they make an irritating noise when they change direction at the top and bottom. Used them for about an hour and a half in constant rain today and it didn't get any better. Anyone experienced this?

I had g -techniq g1 applied, and the juddering was ridiculous. It's taken about 3 weeks to settle down, but it's now fine. Same thing happened to my last car.

Reactions: ac2003
Thanks. Not had any treatment on the windscreen and they just make a noise at the point they change direction. I wonder if it's the rubber contact strip moving from one side to the other. Is there any type of adjustment possible?

I wasn't happy with my front wipers and after several attempt to clean them I decided it was time for a new pair (2 years old and 15k miles)

Got a good price aswell....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201553267147?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Watch the ones on eBay, the last ones I bought came in a Bosch box but were fakes and only lasted about three months before streaking.
When I then bought the proper ones and compared, there was a noticeable difference in the quality.

Thanks. Bought from wiperblades.co.uk so would hope they're not fakes.

All new wipers tend to judder ...... I have Gyeon on my current car and its a case of needing the wipers bedding in if the cars new.

But other than that Gyeon is amazing stuff !

Mmmm, brand new set of blades from Audi - judder. Still judder after 3 months.

Brand new set of blades from Bosch - no judder. Still no judder after 6 months.

Tried all the usual cleaning and prepping processes.

Bosch strongly recommend against any windscreen product treatment (sealant). I'll take their word for it.

Sealants eventually deteriorate which then requires a complete machine polish to remove residuals, re prepping and recoating.

Bosch strongly recommend against any windscreen product treatment (sealant). I'll take their word for it.

Sealants eventually deteriorate which then requires a complete machine polish to remove residuals, re prepping and recoating.

I put G-techniq G1 sealant on my last car, and it was still working 3 years and 20,000 miles later. all it needed for retreatment was a wash, clay and wipedown with IPA.

Bi weekly wash Warwick? A luxury we just don't have here in the U.K., where you're lucky if you get 2 days in any given week with the right weather.

Also, from what I recall of my scant few weeks spent in Queensland over the years, rain there has a very slightly different quality to it than we typically suffer. Not sure if it has any bearing on the topic, but it might. Here, we mainly suffer drizzle, light misting, spray, and the occasional bout of 'that'll do the garden good' persistent moistening. The sort of rain that gives intermittent wipers a hard time as they're never at quite the right speed. In the grand tradition of Goldilocks porridge, they either wait to long so you can't see, or they wipe too early which results in the wipers breakdancing across the glass like they're trying to tap out a message in morse code.

In Queensland I noticed that this type of rain doesn't happen to often, I saw with either nothing but beautiful blue skies, or I was trying to dodge supersonic watery bricks that would plummet from the sky and knock your glasses off of your head. The sort of deluge that would lop small branches from trees, wash away small cars and make you wonder if you'd need a scuba suit and divers air bottle to nip down to the shops. I've never seen rain like it...

Anyway, just wanted to share this, my old car about 6 months after it coated the glass. It was still much the same when I sold it, and it made the wipers completely redundant at anything over 40mph. The wipers used to judder on that too, but it faded after a few weeks. Amazing stuff.

Bi weekly wash in the rain - regarding wipers

Edit - plenty of misty showers and light rain here.

Queensland is a large state with varying climate so maybe you missed most of it.

My windscreen isn't coated with anything and never will be. Absolutely wasted effort and money.

Surprised you guys can even get above 40 mph in the UK

Reactions: pburv
The first time I used the wipers in the rain after I picked up my S3 they were juddering so much they were hitting the metal at the side of the screen on the drivers side. I sprayed the screen with the wash which stopped the judder but then they squeaked when there was not enough rain on the screen. Two weeks on it has improved and the sqeaking has all but stopped. The dealer applied Guardex to the paintwork, but not sure about the glass.

Could be. That's the problem with going on holiday to Australia. It's hard to get your head round the sheer scale of the place. Distances are huge.

My windscreen isn't coated with anything and never will be. Absolutely wasted effort and money.

Ah, I refute your argument thus;

Windscreen coatings are superb, well worth the effort and a snip for the money they cost. :salute:

(In fact, they're so good I used the leftover G1 on my shower enclosure. )

Reactions: pburv
Maybe it will hold NZ together.

Thoughts with my family in NZ tonight

A 6.6 quake triggered a stack of others

Midnight there at the moment :(

f2eb5c95774f1bca51b0a7f6456a65b9.png