Whirring noise, increases with speed

kelk11

Reaction score
sounds like a wheel bearing going on the front passenger side but got that changed last week which hasn't cured the problem. Noise kicks in around 40mph and increases with road speed. noise will stop when taking sharp lefts or varying road camber.

Any ideas what is causing this? as im not enjoying my car sounding like a washer machine

Thanks

What tyres do you have on the car??

I had this on my car and it turned out to be the tyres - Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3s, have a read on the net, theres loads of info on it.

Also, there is a user on here called Sanj, he was having a similar issue and it turned out that his tyres had water in them, which was causing similar noise.

yokohama 2306 fitted on the front, been on there about a year and the inside edge is quite badly worn compared with the rest of the tyre didnt think a tyre would cause such a loud noise though. ill swap the tyres around see what happens.

The going away on steering suggests bearing to me.

I'd have replaced both of them, the noise always travels and makes it hard to work out where its from, and typically all the bearings have done similar mileage so will all be on deaths door anyway.

If its bad, you can usually hear it by jacking the car up and spinning the wheel. Failing bearings will sound grumbly/rough compared to a good one.

front right was changed about 12 months ago and front left last week, all 4 wheels were spun and there were no obvious noises but because the noise faided when turning we put it down to the bearing that had not been changed last year and the noise seemed to be coming from that side as well.

I had this kind of issue which turned our to be a ****** rear tyre. Try moving the tyres from front to back (or vice versa :) ) and seeing if the noise moves, I found my problem by doing that.

bit of an update i've swapped my tyres around and the noise is still there. both front wheel bearings have been replaced the noise is still there. the whirring noise gets worse when i turn right and can be erradicted when turning left. I dont really know where to go from here a mechanic mentioned it could be the gearbox bearing but i don't want to be replacing parts for the sake of it.

Its not a gearbox bearing.

Its a wheel bearing.

Thats the only spinning component whose load changes when you steer.

the fact it goes when turning left would this mean its the front left as there is less load on this wheel? if it was a rear bearing would the noise change with steering?

yes, rear bearings would also change, as your transferring weight of the car from one side to the other.

As for working out which it is from which way your steering, its not always that simple. Often if you turn right and it gets worse, it'll be the left hand side bearing thats knackered, as by steering right your car transfers more weight onto the left hand side.

Hi Ive had a bearing go after 8k, thought it was from the rear but turned out to be front nearside. Using an old trick I found the correct one. Take the car out and heat up the bearings. Jack the wheel/s up and using a short stick as a stethoscope, (make a fist and put the end of the stick through bottom fingers and cup the top of hand against ear and place stick on bearing surface and spin wheel. Any odd rumblings should be apparent. I use wooden spoon. Dont tell to many people because I'm having it patented . This method was used all the time pre VAG COM.!!!

Also good for engine noises. I believe some tuners are still using this method for mapping.!:scared2:

how random i also have this problem thought it was front left wheel bearing and changed both this morning and noise is still there starts about 40mph and gets worse