1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whining rear diff 2002 s3

MarcS3 Aug 7, 2013

1. MarcS3

MarcS3 New Member

My rear diff has gone anyone no how much to rebuild it or a second hand one
    please help

2. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro s tronic Platinum Supporter Audi Main Dealer

Have you looked in the classifieds section of the forum? :)

3. MarcS3

MarcS3 New Member

Sorry I'm a newbie and only just noticed that bit

4. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro s tronic Platinum Supporter Audi Main Dealer

Marc, i was just pointing you in the direction of where to look, you may strike it lucky in there. Good luck. :) x

5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Whats the symptoms out of interest? its usually haldex related problems thats all

6. MarcS3

MarcS3 New Member

Go over 30 and it winning like mad

7. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Well-Known Member

Mark if the tread on your front tyres is more than your rear tyres it will whine try swaping them round first

8. MarcS3

MarcS3 New Member

Really I've had it on a ramp with all 4 wheels off ground and put in 6th and let it tick over and it is winning still

9. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

If you need a new diff try looking on ebay for Audi S3's that are breaking could get one for a good price!

10. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

As said, look in the classifieds and also maybe worth posting a wanted ad too...

If anyone has a diff then please contact the OP via PM...

<tuffty/>

11. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

Got my rear diff replaced several months ago now after my old one was knackered- pretty sure it was around the £300 IIRC from a low mileage S3.

I expect you can get them cheaper, but the garage that does all my work sourced the diff and recommended it as a good one.

12. Erf

Erf Member

I managed to buy one for £100 off ebay, but it might be worth replacing the rear diff oil and see if that makes any difference.

13. MarcS3

MarcS3 New Member

Done oil, was a few bits of metal on the bung but not much, oil was very dirt though