1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which is best? 3dr or 5dr S3?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by _Zerocool_, Aug 10, 2013.

1. _Zerocool_

_Zerocool_ Member

All valid points. I've always had 3drs but I've now got the sportback. my main reasons for going for the 5dr were I prefer the rear lights and the mrs would be less likely to make me get rid if we had kids!
  2. Wicked666

Wicked666 Active Member

Prior to my SB, i've only had 3dr but would not go back now.

Imo, 5dr makes the S3 one of the most practical cars around (Easier with passengers, can drop seats and load up car, its still fast etc).

The missus expecting combined with my A3 finally giving up was my primary reason for getting it was. I'm glad I did because I think the stance of the car looks better and more in proportion. The rear lights make it seem wider than it is and I love catching a reflection of the side of the car when driving about. PLus not sure how I would have been able to get my son in and out of his seat in a 3 door without twisting him in some unnatural way!
  3. Ads

Ads License to drive

You should have gone for the 3 door and got rid of the Mrs if she had kids.
    crunchie and S. like this.
  4. S.

S. Well-Known Member

hahaha :D
  5. slick

slick Member

well the 5dr's are all facelift, so if the 3dr is prefacelift, then no thanks :)

3dr or 5dr no preference really, but facelift ftw :) :) :)
  6. _Zerocool_

_Zerocool_ Member

:lmfao:
  7. mylo911

mylo911 New Member

Personal preference I suppose, but there are a few differences!

Despite having the same wheelbase, a Sportback is 5.4cm longer, which is actually down to the rear bumper being a bit bigger. This means you get a little more boot space in a 5 door, 20 litres to be precise, but for passengers there is absolutely no difference in legroom compared to the 3dr, just ease of entry (pardon!)

Also, a Sportback has slightly less structural rigidity, so there is a wee bit of difference in the way the two cars drive/handle (although this is more noticeable on cooking model fwd' A3's), and it also carries an additional 40kg's over a 3dr.

Hope this helps
  8. S.

S. Well-Known Member

you couldn't put it better.