Wheels in for refurb & new rubber

Its all good, I’m sure it’s not the tyres......i think
For me it was very close between the Michelin PS3 and the Goodyear Eagle F1

Its a bit of a ballache, but I’m happy to keep badgering the dealers to get thing resolved to my satisfaction.
Bedsides they love me down there (wife thinks they actually dread me pulling up outside)

Plus, still glad I choose 19”s :racer:

Reactions: scotty76
Its a bit of a ballache, but I’m happy to keep badgering the dealers to get thing resolved to my satisfaction.
Bedsides they love me down there (wife thinks they actually dread me pulling up outside)

Glad I'm not alone @Keef . I think my dealer probably have me on file some where as "the fussy one". :)

Reactions: Keef
Just a bit more info on the PS3s, done about 1200 miles on them now, so should hopefully be worn in
Had torrential rain yesterday, driving home, my journey involves roads that are prone to flooding. Iveit standing water a few times and it was always twicthy bum time on the contis as the car would aquaplan like mad. Not that I hit water at speed intentially but please to say, no such worries on the PS3s!
Noise is still evident so will be booking the car is asap.

Also my paranoia is in overdrive as I've noticed the front gap from top of tyre to arch on the drivers side is significantly smaller than on the near side, and yes I'm parked on the level and have checked in a few parking locations. I've scientifically measured it using 2 fingers

That all sounds a bit odd Keef. The dealer should definitely be able to shed light on whats concerning you re the gap thing.

G'dayKeef. Just touching base to see how your PS3s have settled in. Road noise still there? Handling etc in your opinion? I'm building up to new rubber. (Will also see if I can get a sign at my local chippy. I have my doubts! Haha..

Hello Chucky

Sorry been meaning to update on this, covered over 2.5k on the PS3s now and the noise is still evident!

Dealer has had the car back twice now and is adamant it’s just tyre noise (I’m still not convinced)

I can only liken it to when you are on motorways and the carriage construction changes from asphalt to concrete and there’s that awful hum (just not quite as loud as that)

Its a real shame as otherwise the tyre performance in all conditions is excellent, tramlining is none existent and generally the car feels safer as it doesn’t now dart across the roads, following ever little contour.

When I googled reviews prior to deciding on PS3s over Goodyear’s, generally there was no mention of excessive road noise, but as soon as you google and add the words ’noise’ then that pulls up similar complaints and issues with road hum or ring/sing.

I’ve drafted an email to Michelin customer service, having a good old rant and quoting there dB rating for the tyre – haven’t got round to sending it yet, don’t think much will come of it – but I do love a good moan

Mmmm that's a bit of a surprise Keef. I had no problems with the Pilot Super Sports and thought that the PS3s would have performed in the same way. Tell Michelen that. Here is something else though. We should have the 12mm Eibach spacers late next week. As your car is the same as mine I will post before and afters so you can see a conservatively widened track. I'm hoping for a slightly more aggressive stance for not a massive outlay.

More news - after my last update I decided to actually get in touch with Michelin customer services.
After my review didn't appear on there website, I was ready for a fight (just like when you call Audi CS)
To my surprise, the women I spoke to was brilliant! Basically said that, if I wanted to, I could return the tyres for testing - now this would normally be a pain as they need the tyres for 21 days. However as I've recently secured a set of genuine 18" S4 wheels (thanks @xpoweruk - top man) and my winter tyres are been fitted on Saturday, this has all worked out quite well. Even if they say the tyres are ok at least it will put my mind at rest.

Reactions: scotty76, chucky1 and xpoweruk
Michelin in UK? or do they send them to France. 21 days? they could send them here. I am really curious whether the tread pattern or compound is any different to the Pilot Super Sports. There seem to be mixed opinions on this. When you speak to them could you perhaps clarify that? The PSSs are still at the top of my list for the next change when the Contis have had it due to my previous experience with them. Did they say what they might do if they found they did not live up to the noise level issue?

Keef. I've just looked at the Michelin site here. The PS3s did not exist here that long ago but do now. They are a different tyre to the PSS.

Update - had a letter back from Michelin customer services today, confirming that following examination, they would pass an allowance of %100 of the replacement cost of all four tyres. They are also keen to point out that this does not constitute admission of liability. So they haven't told me the results of the test, so I'm assuming there was a problem....but I'll never know!

Now my problem is, that after getting my 18s and winters on, I can still here the noise!
So either there is a problem with the car or I need to stop listening and tune out.

Ah well at least I got 3k miles free

Money back and keep tyres as a test pilot to see when the noise disappears?

Some winter tyres can be a bit noisy, Alpin A4 were noisy on one car but Alpin Pilot not too bad, the A4 were directional tyres, the Alpin Pilots not.

I had a droning noise evident in the car last summer. Dealer changed a wheel bearing and noise was gone. I guess the mileage would have been around 10k and just under a year old so it does happen.

When I took it in the tech had a look at the tyres and said he'd normally attribute 'that' noise to the tyres wearing on the inside but there was no sign of that so agreed to change the wheel bearing.

Ok a bit more info on this - If any of you S4 owners are about to purchase Michelin Pilot sport 3s, its worth noting that Michelin
have just told me they do not recommend this tyre for the S4 or S5!? I'm waiting for there technical manager to call me back and explain!

Reactions: ub7rm and scotty76
@Keef thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see what they say. At the moment I'm thinking when this set wear out I'm just going to buy more Pirelli P7s. I've had no issues from them and I've driven through some pretty bad weather recently. I am sure there are better tyres out there but having played the tyre lottery before I'm happy to stick with these.

Keef. That'll be an interesting conversation. I'm switching to Super Sports all round on Tuesday.

Ok a bit more info on this - If any of you S4 owners are about to purchase Michelin Pilot sport 3s, its worth noting that Michelin
have just told me they do not recommend this tyre for the S4 or S5!? I'm waiting for there technical manager to call me back and explain!

Very interesting - they would have been my tyre of choice once the infernal Conti's have worn enough. In fact at one point last summer I was just going to buy a set and write off the Conti's - glad I didn't now.

I wonder if thats just to 'sell' the super sports over the PS3's since its a car thats in the SS's target audience. :Cynic:

Ok had a chat with Michelins UK technical manager, this is what he's saying:-

Although not clarified on the website (or published anywhere externally he admitted), PS3s should not be fitted to S or RS cars.
Even though the PS3 is AO (Audi original) rated, Michelin recommend only Super sports for S cars, although they state RO rating is for the RS & R8 range. I cannot find any info to confirm Super sports are actually RO rated!?

Anyways it looks like they might be sorting me out with a set of Super sports.
However this could be significant when its time to replace tyres and have insurance implications maybe.

I'm off to check the manual to see if it states AO or RO for replacements.
I think the conti SC3s that came as standard are RO1 rated

Ah the joys of motoring

Hey Keef. The Michelin site here recommends the Super Sports for the S4. I'm not sure if our rating system is the same but these are a 96Y tyre. 96 being 710 kg per tyre, Xs 4 = 2840 kg. S4 avant weighs in at curb 1750ish kg. Y is our speed rating of 300 km/hr. I'm not sure if this relates to the UK RO rating. As a summer tyre, (the bulk of the year here) I am really looking forward to having these on my car again.

Same here, the 96 rating is extra load for Audi as oppose to 91 I think. Speed ratings are the same.
The AO or RO is something different, this relates to tyres for specific brands, Mercedes is MO for example etc..

The Tech guy said that the width is slightly diferent when tyres are developed for specifics car brands and that's why they don't recomend th PS3 for S cars. So even though the size is 255mm it can vary. To be honest I wasn't convinced as it sounds boll#x, but not going to complain.

Well I'm definitely getting a free set of Super Sports,only slight downside is I have to pay for fitting but I don't mind that.

Now that tyres are sorted I can focus on getting the rear bump repair sorted!

Reactions: golfather1, chucky1 and scotty76