wheel studs seized.... not A4

jbh

TDi lover
Reaction score
Website
www.retrobmw.co.uk
yea I know this is an A4 section but I like all you guys so im after ideas on how the feck to sort this problem..

so here it is. the wife's seat 7 seater thing im doing the work on im trying to get the rear wheels off it to renew the brakes and stick the alloy wheels on it.
so it has 19mm studs so so far ive tried standard socket and breaker bar which then broke the socket..
so I moved on to impact socket and breaker bar which then broke the breaker bar.
I then tried heat with impact socket and breaker bar with the same result as above ( the boy in Halfords has got to know me pretty well over the last day or so )
so now ive just tried 3/4 breaker bar with 3/4 impact reducer and 1/2" impact socket.. the result was I broke the reducer.. so next option is buying a 19mm 3/4" socket and trying that. any one else got any ideas?

Right almost gauranteeed to work this one, I worked at ATS for years and had this problem, it never failed also on scrap cars:

Get a six sided impact socket, place onto offending nut/stud then hit it HARD with a lump hammer as if tryin to bang it on further, dont be scared to hit it hard, after this you will be able to undo the thing with a 1/2" rachet lol, hit it a good 3 times with a HEAVY hammer its never failed for me, I can explain the science of it but it takes a while :) let us know buddy, remember BIG hammer, HARD hits and dont hit sideways that will bugga it.

PS check its not a foreign import jobbie with left hand threads mate.

As above tends to be the case on vw/audi's

big hammer is the key here and a steady hand !!!

Yeah try the hammer, even a ****** sledge hammer, its never failed for me, I have broke 5ft breaker bars then used a hammer and undone the same nut with th manufacturers standad wrench without much leverage alloy and steel both just watch you dont spank the alloy wheel itself! :)

Once sheared a wheel stud... that's when the fun starts!

Get a decent length of scaffold tube over the 1/2 high impact socket and ratchet. Try the lump hammer approach first.

well ive got 1 wheel done and one to go.. hoping the next one wont be as bad..
the end result has been loads of heat and I don't mean blow torch..
I got my dads gas and oxy with a 3/4 drive 19mm, 3/4 breaker bar and a 6 foot pole....
I would have liked to have watched someone try and get these off at the side of the motorway