1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wet Weather Tyre Recommendations

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by A3-ALF, Oct 31, 2010.

1. A3-ALF

A3-ALF Member

[Oct 31, 2010]
    Going to need a couple of tyres soon on my 1.9tdi, I do a lot of motorway miles every year (20k) I'm looking for recommendations for a good wet weather tyre. Currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE040's fitted and they are ok but I do notice a fair bit of road noise off them, last car had Goodyear excellence fitted and again thought they were a bit noisy at times and totally useless in snow and ice.
    Wheels/Tyres are 205/55/R16 Speedlines.

Thanks in advance

Alan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. will-i-a-m

will-i-a-m Member

[Oct 31, 2010]
    BF Goodrich - GForce Profiler 2's are good, as well as Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's
    i will be going with one of these next. At the moment i have factory fitted potenza's and i think the road noise/hum is awful! cant wait to get rid of them.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  4. fforeggub

fforeggub Member

[Oct 31, 2010]
    Interesting comment will. I don't reckon Michelins are much cop in the wet. Goodyears F1 were great.

Interesting to see will's signature 'Model and Capacity Badge Removed' Does this improve performance? ;-)
  5. will-i-a-m

will-i-a-m Member

[Oct 31, 2010]
    Not seeing how that has any relevance but either way, i was just giving my opinion on tyre's i have used and tyres i have heard a lot about, if you think you goodyear F1's are good then thats your opinion. No need for the sarcy comment.
  6. piotrtdi

piotrtdi 2.0 TDi CR 170 Sportback BE

[Oct 31, 2010]
    This tire for summer

I would recommend these tires that now have Hokian H
    Very good on the water
    Data according to the manufacturer of the tire pump 40 lits of water per second
    Riding in a big rain and high speed is no problem a little rustle in the dry

[​IMG]

Nokian H <- :racer::thumbsup:

even the best in the summer tire in winter is good for nothing
    If you want to winter tires set of search companies, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin, Nokian, Continental

mytyres.co.uk - Search Results: 205/55 R16 H Winter / cold weather tyres
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  7. Yagy

Yagy 007

[Nov 8, 2010]
    I am a big fan of Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres - they hold the car down like glue around corners but I think the tyre compound makes them wear away quicker than others.
  8. beanoir

beanoir Sharpest Tongue in the West

[Nov 8, 2010]
    Check last months EVO magazine for a pretty comprehensive tyre test.

Evo Tyre Test 2010

The Contis came out top for wet and overall.

I'm on the hunt for some new tyres, but still not sure if I want the Contis or the Michelin PS3
  9. Iain 750

Iain 750 Member

[Nov 8, 2010]
    Ive just fitted conti sport contact 3s and they are great in the wet but as mentioned not a hard compound so mite not last as long as others but im not bothered as long as they grip well!
  10. steveg9

steveg9 Member

[Nov 8, 2010]
    I have PS3's rear January, 15k miles and ContiSport3 front December 14k miles. Last time I looked the rears appeared to be disappearing faster than the fronts! AutoExpress rated the Contis top a little while ago
  11. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

[Nov 8, 2010]
    ive got michelin pilot sport..........wet and dry,the best tyre ! (imho)
  12. Yagy

Yagy 007

[Nov 8, 2010]
    Once you have driven with Contis you wont be able to go back... :) I had contis and then made the mistake of going with Pirellis, it was a completely different driving experience. I went back after 2 days and got them to replace with Contis - cornering, braking, accelerating and just overall handling are improved... You just have so much grip on the road.

I do like my Contis :)
  13. beanoir

beanoir Sharpest Tongue in the West

[Nov 8, 2010]
    I had Contis on the porker and had to get rid of them for Michelins as I was so unimpressed. I guess it depends on the car they are fitted to, but it makes me reluctant still to spend out on them again even though they seem to be rated.
  14. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

[Nov 8, 2010]
    I would get some winter tyres, these are suppose to be very very good Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme , but dam near impossible to get, I have just got some Hankook W300 not got them on yet but read some pretty good reports at £430-00 for 4, at your mileage you be near needing a new set by time summer comes.
  15. piotrtdi

piotrtdi 2.0 TDi CR 170 Sportback BE

[Nov 8, 2010]