Water on drivers floor

Cheeks

Reaction score
What it says on the tin!

It's not a puddle, but it's soaking wet.
I've lifted the scuttle panel and cleared the leaves that were in there, clipped the scuttle back on. and it still seems to get wet when it rains!

one thing to note...
The scuttle isn't completely flush with the front of the windscreen, not by much, but it's not 'sealed' to the glass, should i seal it up with some silicone or something???

Please help, as it's starting to rain every f-ing day!

Thanks!

My scuttle panel doesn't sit flush either. Ever since my windscreen was done, refuses to clip in. Been like that for over a year now and never had issues with water getting into the cabin.

I did clear all the leaves before windscreen was done so possibly that allowed any water to just drain away? Rather than be absorbed by leaves and leak into cabin

Likely to be leaking at the pollen filter housing, though if it's not that then potentially look at your door seals (though the latter was more an issue on Leons, and very rare on anything with an Audi badge IIRC)

Would pollen filter not mean it would be on the passenger side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logic has always said yes, but problems with cars don't always seem to follow logic! It's a quick and easy one to check and no harm in doing so, which means worst case is you've ruled it out :)

Reactions: Cheeks
Don't these scuttles have drains? - common on older BMWs for the drains to block (with silt over the years) and for water to poor in via the internal ventilation/heater fan mechanism during heavy rain.

Yeah I've cleared the whole scuttle out and on the driver side it drains no issue straight out the wheel well. What do I look for/do with the pollen filter housing?

Finally found out where the leak is coming from! Sort of...

Noticed a bead of water on a bit of metal near the accelerator pedal...
zoom into the red bit.

1c9b9d18316960ecd8afaf503122a8d8.jpg

The grey carpet stuff a little further up looks darker/wet too.

Any ideas where that’s coming from?

Is it def water? Could it be coming from the scuttle panel. Mine doesn't sit right at the bottom of the Windscreen and was told i should take it of and clean it out or it could start leaking water into the floor wells.

Is it def water?

I think so, it’s absolutely chucking it down tonight and it’s soaking now, only seems to get worse when it rains

If you haven't checked that panel check it when you can and might just need a bit of cleaning out and fit it tight back in.

Do you mean that plastic to the right of the accelerator?

No the scuttle panel at the bottom of the Windscreen outside where ur window washers are attached to. It needs to sit tight against the Windscreen. Hope that explains it better for you.

No the scuttle panel at the bottom of the Windscreen outside where ur window washers are attached to. It needs to sit tight against the Windscreen. Hope that explains it better for you.

Oh I get you, it definitely isn’t tight, has a very slight gap but that’s as much as I can get it down.

Becareful you dont push down to hard or you could shatter ur windscreen. When you can just take it of and clean it out you wont believe the crap that comes out.

Reactions: Silva bullet
292f72ec70fcfd8507d658e7f0e251b5.jpg

Would you say that’s flush?
Hard to tell, I can’t get a nail under it?

Becareful you dont push down to hard or you could shatter ur windscreen. When you can just take it of and clean it out you wont believe the **** that comes out.

Check out the pic, also I’ve cleaned it and it was gross haha

Thas not flush mate yours is like how it is on my s3 8l but mines not leaking very strange..I'm gonna silicone glue it when it stays dry for longer than a day lol.
Don't worry matey no bigger hope u sort it tho lol

Thas not flush mate yours is like how it is on my s3 8l but mines not leaking very strange..I'm gonna silicone glue it when it stays dry for longer than a day lol.
Don't worry matey no bigger hope u sort it tho lol

Brilliant! Yeah it’s soaking off yesterday’s rain haha

What silicone should I seal it with?

Brilliant! Yeah it’s soaking off yesterday’s rain haha

What silicone should I seal it with?

Also where do I seal?

Also check the grommet that the bonnet catch cable goes through that could also be perished.

Any cheap eurocarparts 1 will do got mine about 6 quid..this is gonna sound daft but you need to apply the sealant behind the plastic scuttle which is coming off already.
Apply glue into the gap and make sure you put sow weight on so it bonds well in place.
Weight it down a few hours or whatever your sealant drying times may be..

Any cheap eurocarparts 1 will do got mine about 6 quid..this is gonna sound daft but you need to apply the sealant behind the plastic scuttle which is coming off already.
Apply glue into the gap and make sure you put sow weight on so it bonds well in place.
Weight it down a few hours or whatever your sealant drying times may be..

Sound, so you mean pretty much along the very bottom of the windscreen almost?

Sound, so you mean pretty much along the very bottom of the windscreen almost?

Yes all along where there is a gap..but before you use sealant make sure I he gap doesn't have any just or grime and make sure it dry to begin with...good luck.silva bullet

Yes all along where there is a gap..but before you use sealant make sure I he gap doesn't have any just or grime and make sure it dry to begin with...good luck.silva bullet

Thanks man!

Is there anything I should be sealing under the scuttle panel? Or do you think it’s coming in from the window?

Im not sure pitting sealant along it is the best option.
Why not fix it properly and have you checked the grommet that Josea3t said about?
If its cleaned out good i dont see why it wont click into place.

Im not sure pitting sealant along it is the best option.
Why not fix it properly and have you checked the grommet that Josea3t said about?
If its cleaned out good i dont see why it wont click into place.

I think I remember a layer of black something came off the grommet maybe sealant?

But the liquid isn’t coming down the handle at all, just where it is in the pic.

I’ll grab some silicone and redo the bonnet pull grommet

What handle?
The grommet is for the cable for the bonnet catch. U could put a bit of sealant on that just to rule that out.

I meant he handle to pop the bonnet inside
I’ll try it this weekend if it’s dry!

O right now i get what you meant.
Im not sure it would run down the handle i think if its leaking threw the grommet that it would just run down and onto the carpet. Hope u get it sorted soon. Good luck.

O right now i get what you meant.
Im not sure it would run down the handle i think if its leaking threw the grommet that it would just run down and onto the carpet. Hope u get it sorted soon. Good luck.

I’ll drop an update on here once I seal it up again. I’ll do a hose test too.

my windscreen trim is smashed / cracked and in the wrong place not flush with my ham fists to get out the ecu - and it doesn't leak.
why cant you use a watering can and try it. maybe it is getting in somewhere else - did you check the pollen filter (even though it is the passenger side) ?

does the loom enter the car through a rubber grommit (where people sometimes put the boost gauge silicon hose) is that leaking?

my windscreen trim is smashed / cracked and in the wrong place not flush with my ham fists to get out the ecu - and it doesn't leak.
why cant you use a watering can and try it. maybe it is getting in somewhere else - did you check the pollen filter (even though it is the passenger side) ?

does the loom enter the car through a rubber grommit (where people sometimes put the boost gauge silicon hose) is that leaking?

Not sure where the loom goes in mate?
And pollen filter is dry

if you take off the wipers and the top scuttle panel you should be able to see if it is leaking down the tray where the ECU is and wiring loom which goes in above the accelerator pedal. this sort of area - is all this dry or wet?

5991032430_902e4f17ae.jpg

if you take off the wipers and the top scuttle panel you should be able to see if it is leaking down the tray where the ECU is and wiring loom which goes in above the accelerator pedal. this sort of area - is all this dry or wet?

5991032430_902e4f17ae.jpg

Last time I checked it was all dry minus the drain hole but that was draining as expected!

I have the same problem buts its on the passenger side, I am going to take the scuttle panel off to see if the drainage holes are blocked but where will I find the drainage hole is it on the drivers or passenger side ? Also do I actually need to get the scuttle panel to unblock the drainage holes or can I access them from under side ?