wastegate actuator rod rattling

jamie_a4

Reaction score
morning guys.

bought an A4 TFSI 2.0 S Line Special edition on friday, i knew of the BUL engine beforehand, and i'd done my research - its had a new pickup pipe, recent cambelt & pump, ive already done a replacement PCV and DV as the old PCV was causing idling issues.

However something I noticed straight away from looking at it there is a rattle around the turbo area and after some research its pretty common for the rod that links the actuator to the turbo rattles on TSI models from 2008- there is a clip that you can now buy from VAG for around £14 to sort the issue.

However , that is the K04 Turbo, AFAIK the BUL engine uses the K03 turbo, so dont know if the clip would work?

Had the car in for MOT last night - took the under tray off and if you put a screwdriver against the rod you can clearly feel the vibration on deceleration - its quite loud like sound of spoons in a tin, only on deceleration though, its annoying the life out of me! Cars on 137000 and its pretty perfect in every other respect!

Boosts fine, comes in about 2300 rpm & pulls hard up until the redline

just wondering if anyone else has the wastegate rattle on theirs and if they've solved it? Note - i have done my research but its mainly the 2.0TSI units which have suffered, not the BUL with the K03 turbo

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

I'm sure I have this rattle on mine? But it's bwe engine code. I thought it was the cat or the undertray mounts rattling as I don't have an under tray on. Will look in to this. I also don't think I am losing boost pressure.

I'm sure I have this rattle on mine? But it's bwe engine code. I thought it was the cat or the undertray mounts rattling as I don't have an under tray on. Will look in to this. I also don't think I am losing boost pressure.

it more than likley will be mate, the BWE has very simmlar characteristics to the BUL engine from my research.

I tried the above method last night by pinging off the spacer locking clip and adjusting the lock nut but it just wouldnt budge. Space is so damn tight in there its a joke!