Vibration after lowering and spacers?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
I know that I need to get the wheels aligned now that I've lowered the car and put spacers on it, but do the wheels need re-balancing too?

I only ask as I seem to be getting a slight vibration coming through my steering wheel and seat while accelerating at around 70-80mph. This was never there before (I dont think).

If they dont need re-balancing, can anyone think of a reason why this is happening?

Cheers :)

Get the wheels aligned then if it's still there tyres balanced or maybe something wrong with the spacers

any imbalance seems to become magnified when spacers are added from what I've read. I'd also make sure that all the faces are clean and smooth etc.

I seem to remember one user saying he stuck the spacers to the wheel with double sided tape and had the wheels balanced with the spacers. Sounded weird to me so maybe I read it wrong.

I seem to remember one user saying he stuck the spacers to the wheel with double sided tape and had the wheels balanced with the spacers. Sounded weird to me so maybe I read it wrong.

That rings a bell now that you mention it.
I'll see what the wheel centre says tomorrow when I take it in.

As has been said above really - procedure in my booklet states:

1) clean the face of the wheel hub with a wire brush / sandpaper / solvent cleaner as a starter. Thehub face MUST be clean and flat before you begin.

2) Fit the spacer, then tap it gently back on to the hub using a medium sized hammer and a piece of wood to make sure it's absolutely 100% flush with the wheel hub.

3) After the wheel has been re-balanced and checked, fit it onto the spacer and start off by putting opposing bolts in (one top and bottom) and gently do the bolts up a couple of turns. Add the other bolts and given them similar bumber of turns. Then going round in a star shape, do them all up using the back of the VAG supplied screwdriver (the plastic handle one my car was supplied with a bolt hole in its plastic shaft), and do all the bolts up finger tight.

4) Once finger tight, use a deep socket to do up the bolts in a start shape formation (top centre, bottom right, left mid, right mid, bottom left). Torque up the bolts to the tolerances specified by the spacer manufacturer.

5) after 20-30 miles check all the bolts again and where possible just re-tighten to approved torque figures if they've settled

Last edited:
i run 10mm spacers all round with lowered setup and i have no issues. Not much help but i though id put that in. :o.k:

As has been said above really - procedure in my booklet states:

1) clean the face of the wheel hub with a wire brush / sandpaper / solvent cleaner as a starter. Thehub face MUST be clean and flat before you begin.

2) Fit the spacer, then tap it gently back on to the hub using a medium sized hammer and a piece of wood to make sure it's absolutely 100% flush with the wheel hub.

3) After the wheel has been re-balanced and checked, fit it onto the spacer and start off by putting opposing bolts in (one top and bottom) and gently do the bolts up a couple of turns. Add the other bolts and given them similar bumber of turns. Then going round in a star shape, do them all up using the back of the VAG supplied screwdriver (the plastic handle one my car was supplied with a bolt hole in its plastic shaft), and do all the bolts up finger tight.

4) Once finger tight, use a deep socket to do up the bolts in a start shape formation (top centre, bottom right, left mid, right mid, bottom left). Torque up the bolts to the tolerances specified by the spacer manufacturer.

5) after 20-30 miles check all the bolts again and where possible just re-tighten to approved torque figures if they've settled

Thanks for this Warren. I'll make sure that the garage follows this procedure tomorrow when I take it in.

It's one of those things where I think I'll only ever know it's been done properly if I just do it myself. I'll get the garage to do the balancing and the above procedure tomorrow and if the problem is still there I'll then do the above procedure myself at least knowing that the wheels are balanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that I need to get the wheels aligned now that I've lowered the car and put spacers on it, but do the wheels need re-balancing too?

I only ask as I seem to be getting a slight vibration coming through my steering wheel and seat while accelerating at around 70-80mph. This was never there before (I dont think).

Cheers :)

Personally as many have already said, I think all your problems are from the 8mm spacers, because they have such a small lip to fit inside the wheel there is a chance the your wheel is running slightly eccentric which will result in an imbalance, that's why as Warren suggested you'd be better with the 10mm hub centric spacers that have a larger lip to keep the wheel concentric.

Just my 2p worth!

Sorted :)

Took the car today to my local wheel centre and asked them to check the balance and make sure all surfaces are clean and smooth. They did this and after a quick blast down the road, no vibrations could be felt :) They said that my balance was slightly out (even though I couldn't feel it prior to having the spacers fitted). Eibach did say though that even the slightest off-balance is greatly exaggerated when spacers are fitted.

Hopefully it will stay like that.

Cheers for all the help guys.