Very high oil consumption

ScotScott

Reaction score
Hi, first post here so hopefully this is the right place.

I've having a bit of a problem with my partners car, a 2000 1.6 A3, AKL engine I believe which is suffering from quite ridiculous oil usage. The problem started after giving the car a service and repairing the breather (taped it up) from the oil filler cap to the intake hose, car ran much better but now goes from max to min on the dipstick in about 100 miles. Ordered a new intake hose including breather etc from Audi,fitted it and ran a compression test giving:

195,200,205,205 (psi)

which seems ok to me, don't know these engines at all though.

Before I repaired the breather there was some oil use but nothing to complain about, the only thing I can think of that would be related is a blocked intake breather somewhere which is creating a vacuum and sucking oil straight from the sump and dumping it into the intake. From what I've read about these engines the crankcase ventilation system doesn't work like that, there's only the one top breather hose. - but how does fresh air get into the crankcase?? There is also a strong air intake sound from around oil filler cap when revved.

One thing that has been mentioned to me; supposedly there is a rubber membrane in the rocker cover that causes my symptoms if ripped - can't find any mention of it with reference to this car.

Car smokes sometimes, sometimes doesn't (white), drives well enough, revs cleanly through the rev-range. Sounds like it has a misfire if you stand by the exhaust, doesn't in the engine bay but the exhaust is due for replacement. Spark plugs were coated in oil when I removed them, swapped for a fresh set. If the car is left to idle on the drive it leaves a big dark patch on the drive, not sure if it is oil or soot though. This doesn't happen if you've been out for a drive and then leave it running on the drive.

Quite a big first post! Any advice or pointers will be much appreciated!