Oil consumption

Breezey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering how much oil your S3s are using as mine seems to have used about half a litre if 5w-30 edge in 5000 miles and there arnt any leaks that I see is this normal?

Drop the 5w30 and change to 5w40 or 10w40. Do an oil change every 5-8k and you'll find you'll never need to top up :)

Change my oil every 5-7k and that is the only time I ever need to take the oil cap off, it doesn't seem to use any!

Cheers looks like I shouldn't trust the castrol website that recommends 5-30

Edit: worth using an engine flush or no? Not used them in the passed but I know some of you replace the pickup pipes don't know if this would help, sump off job isn't it to replace the pickup?

Last edited:
1/2 ltr in 5k is fairly normal... 5w30 is specced as a longlife oil grade typically but if you can do it yourself then use 5w40 and drop it every 5/6k...

I did use engine flush when I first got my car after I discovered it was on AVS... I used Wynns stuff... no idea if it did any good tbh but I now just change my oil every 5/6k so its not really an issue any more..

Pickup pipe is a worthwhile investment for just over a tenner... does mean dropping the sump and there is a guide on here somewhere... only use the VAG sealant though when you put it back on as this stuff just doesn't leak..

<tuffty/>

Interestingly, I've been using 10-40 semi synth in mine for yonks, and it tends to get through a fair bit, and needs a top up every 1000-1500 miles.

Switched to Quantum platinum, which I think is 5-30 at the last change, and 1500 miles later it's not moved on the dipstick at all!

what's the problem with driving with it in guys? really?

I tend to drive into town, which warms the car up. Buy the engine flush at camberly auto factors, pour it in at the carpark there, then drive 5 miles home, and leave it ticking over whilst I get all the tools and oil drainer ready

what's the problem with driving with it in guys? really?

I tend to drive into town, which warms the car up. Buy the engine flush at camberly auto factors, pour it in at the carpark there, then drive 5 miles home, and leave it ticking over whilst I get all the tools and oil drainer ready

good point i dont actually know, i just did what the bottle said.
ended up finding tiny hard bits in the oil afterwards mind, thats when the sump came off

When i run the engine flush i put it in the car and drive to my garage, a 5 minute drive, never go above as someone said above 2k RPM not sure what that stuff does to an engine under load so i drive like my nan on a sunday, then leave to idle and that gives you time for a brew and a cig.