1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vagcom help

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Customboy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Customboy

Customboy Member

[Feb 16, 2012]
    Hi there all was thinking of investing in a vagcom I'm quite a novice to these things but was told that these system can tell me boost and bhp I'm running and will give me peace of minding just to see if my car is running ok,has anybody bought one before and which is best without breaking the bank I've seen a few on eBay but I'm lost to which one is good and able to show my bhp and boost etc any help would be fantastic and sorry if this has been posted up before

Many thanks all

Customboy
  2. MUSH

MUSH MUSH Developments Ltd.

[Feb 16, 2012]
    If all your wanting to see is your bhp and boost then maybe a race diagnostics liquid gauge will interest you. If you want to see basic settings with the ability to log you could get an ebay cable with 409.1 shareware vagcom. If you really want the full package then it will cost, but its worth it if you are really interested in logging and possibly using some of the advanced features.
  3. Steveo_A3_1.8t

Steveo_A3_1.8t Member

[Feb 17, 2012]
    I bought a cheap eBay cable (£9) and downloaded the shareware versions of Vagcom (VCDS) from the rosstech website. Well worth having mate.

You can log both specified and actual boost but not bhp, to be honest I think the only way of doing that is getting the car on a dyno. (could be wrong)

Like I said well worth having dude
  4. sideways steve

sideways steve Member VCDS Map User

[Feb 17, 2012]
    You can get the BHP by logging your airflow then you divide the figure by 0.8 and it will ROUGHLY give you your bhp.
  5. MUSH

MUSH MUSH Developments Ltd.

[Feb 17, 2012]
    Airflow can be logged and this calculation gives an approximate bhp level.

BHP = Airflow / 0.8
  6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 17, 2012]
  7. Customboy

Customboy Member

[Feb 17, 2012]
    Is there anyway I can use vagcom with having to use my laptop? I know it sounds stupid but I'm just a novice
  8. <tuffty/>

[Feb 17, 2012]
    Do you mean 'without' using your laptop??? its software that installs on a computer so no not really...

You could buy a Liquid Gauge but if you are spending that kinda money then VCDS would be a better investment initially... Liquid Gauge is good (I have one) but if I had the money for just the one thing I would choose VCDS...

<tuffty/>
  9. Customboy

Customboy Member

[Feb 17, 2012]
    Cheers tuffy ! Bloody iPad spelling drives me mad what's the best model to buy or has one one got a link to one would prefer a handheld scanner but could try learning with my laptop
  10. <tuffty/>

[Feb 17, 2012]