Tyre advice again - is XL essential ????

Amchlolor

Reaction score
I know (think) it means Extra-load,but is it essential ????

The tyre fitters we use have Dunlops and F1's in stock,but neither are Extra load.

They were mumbling to each other about why my car would need them,and their consensus was they couldn't see why it would.

I don't want them fitting 'dodgy' tyres,so if it essential I have extra load,I will insist.

I have the F1's fitted to mine with no probs, had them fitted to my r32 with no probs and my mate runs them on his s4 and another on his 330 coupe all the GSD3's so I can only assume no.

J.

mine are Xls, don't think you can get the right fitment in anything other than Xls...

Have a look at the Goodyear website again from that link I sent and that'll tell you.

[ QUOTE ]

I have the F1's fitted to mine with no probs, had them fitted to my r32 with no probs and my mate runs them on his s4 and another on his 330 coupe all the GSD3's so I can only assume no.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it say 'XL' anywhere on the sidewall of yours ??

Cheers
I dunno what to do really.
Trust the tyre fitters or,in their eyes,act like a bit of a twit and insist they order extra load ones ?

I've been looking around on the web and the only F1's (GSD3's) I can find are the XL ones. Have you asked them to look on the side wall of the Tyre to see if they have Extra Load written on them? (Ok so that sounds a bit like trying to teach my granny to suck eggs! as I'm sure you have!)

J.

On the Goodyear website they label the Extra Loads as Xl. My tyres are the same as J's, have Extra Load written on them.

Just gone through the Goodyear site again and 225 40 18 is ONLY available as an XL i.e. Extra Load.

Ach,I bit the bullet and got them to fit Dunlop SP9000's.

Tread pattern is very like the F1's.

Can't see extra load written on them,but they couldn't see it being a problem.

I'll consult the Dunlop website and see what it says.

Can't comment on their performance yet,as I've only done 3 miles on them.

Daft quesion but does XL only apply to 18" Goodyear/Dunlop tyres? Or should be Rosso's be XL too?

I'm currently waiting for National Tyres to get back to me after Audi Customer services was closed at 12:30 on Saturday when I went to get my replacements tyres (Shocking). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif I want to make sure they put the right type back on.

[ QUOTE ]
Daft quesion but does XL only apply to 18" Goodyear/Dunlop tyres? Or should be Rosso's be XL too?

I'm currently waiting for National Tyres to get back to me after Audi Customer services was closed at 12:30 on Saturday when I went to get my replacements tyres (Shocking). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif I want to make sure they put the right type back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rossos that came fitted to my A3 are XL too. I think they fit XL tyres due to the smaller sidewall on the 18" tyres(probably stronger on XLs).

Grrrreat...

Dunlop's website says 225/40 18's come in an XL spec as well.

Their car configurator is no good,as it doesn't list my car ( well,it does list a 1968cc diesel S-line,but they think it has 16 inch wheels).

I've e-mailed them.

Trouble is,what do I do if they come back and say "oh yeah,you must have the XL tyres"...

[ QUOTE ]

Trouble is,what do I do if they come back and say "oh yeah,you must have the XL tyres"...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you go back and tell the manager the fitters are crap, gave you crap advice, and can you have the correct tyres for the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you go back and tell the manager the fitters are crap, gave you crap advice, and can you have the correct tyres for the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I would try if thats the case. You have been missold the goods must be something in trading standards about that somewhere.

It's a weird one for sure.

Their books didn't show exact fitments for my car,but it did say the tyres they've fitted are okay to go on a 3 series,which is a heavier car.

I've put a call into Dunlop/Goodyear's tech people,and they're getting back to me.

Sometimes,this forum can be TOO good you know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If it weren't for this forum,I wouldn't have a clue about the XL thing and would driving around in ignorant bliss,assuming the tyres were correct..

Instead,I'm facing a potential argument,which I can do without. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Instead,I'm facing a potential argument,which I can do without. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm sure you'll manage though

No argument,thankfully.

The tyres are incorrect ( load rating 88-560 kgs,when they should be load rating 92-630 kgs) so they've ordered replacements and asked me to keep the mileage down on the incorrect ones (not a problem,as I only do 7 miles a day).

I tell you something though,Audi need to look at their manual.

In about 5 pages of waffling tyre 'info' there is NOTHING in there about sizes,load ratings or even pressures.

Nothing on the fuel flap of any assistance about load ratings either.

Some interesting info from the tyre place ( just been to get the correct 92 load rating F1's put on )

The back tyres (Conti Sport 2's) that came with the car are mismatched.

The passenger side rear is a 92 load rating,but the driver's side rear is an 88.

So,someone has made a mistake along the line.

Either the wrong tyre was put on the driver's side rear at the factory,or something happened to the original tyre between the factory and delivery to me,so they replaced it with an outwardly identical tyre,but with the wrong load rating.

Needless to say,I'll be onto the dealer about it soon.

What a carry on.

You certainly seem to be having a right load of probs Bowfer, you auditioning for 'Carry on Audi', staring Jim Dale, Barbara Windsor and all our other faves!

I always come back to the Audi brochure that says along the lines of 'your dealings with all representatives of the brand wil be consistent and a stress and hassle free experience'. Consistency is always an interesting one, especially where what one dealer says is normal another says is a problem and where they all charge different prices and different times for the same service. As for the stress and hassle free experience, it's been the most stressful and hassleful (!) ownership expereince I've ever had and not one at this point that i would recommend!

Well,that's me got the correct 92Y load rating on three wheels.

I'm waiting for the dealer to advise on replacement of the incorrect-from-new 88Y tyre.

Overnight,I'm a tyre expert...

[ QUOTE ]
....and asked me to keep the mileage down on the incorrect ones....

[/ QUOTE ]

if i was you, i'd be flipping that DSG to manual, testing my TDI launch control and bouncing it off the limiter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oh, hang on....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....and asked me to keep the mileage down on the incorrect ones....

[/ QUOTE ]

if i was you, i'd be flipping that DSG to manual, testing my TDI launch control and bouncing it off the limiter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oh, hang on....

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I did wonder what they intend to do with the tyres they fitted wrongly.

They've only done around 9 miles,but the stickers had worn off them.

The coloured lines you see on new tyres were still perfectly visible though.

Tenner says a customer who isn't there to witness the fitting will get them and be none the wiser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Tell you what,going by the fact my car has been fitted with one wrongly load rated tyre from new,I'd recommend any 2.0Tdi S-line owners on here check their tyres.

This is what your tyre SHOULD say.

Photo-0015.jpg

This is the wrong tyre,which I've done 12000 miles on...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif
Photo-0016.jpg

How many people check the tyres on a brand new car ?

You just assume they're right...

"How many people check the tyres on a brand new car ?

You just assume they're right... "

Bowfer, I think more of us are now realising that if it is an Audi you need to check everything LOL! Like that the fuel filler cap will open to let u put fuel in, the door handle stays intact when you close the door and the mirrors unfold when you ask them to, to name a few!

[ QUOTE ]
"How many people check the tyres on a brand new car ?

You just assume they're right... "

Bowfer, I think more of us are now realising that if it is an Audi you need to check everything LOL! Like that the fuel filler cap will open to let u put fuel in, the door handle stays intact when you close the door and the mirrors unfold when you ask them to, to name a few!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right,but fitting the wrong load rated tyre is,potentially,a far more serious error by Audi.

I'm still assuming,in the absence of evidence otherwise,that the error was made at the factory.

Makes me question the PDI at the dealer though.