Turbo Chatter?

H

HansfishS3

Hey guys, recently noticed when I lift off the throttle on low boost I can hear what sounds like turbo chatter, you have to listen to hear it. This doesn't seem to happen at higher boost levels, is this normal?

My car is complete stock apart from Stage 1 remap an S2000 filter

I get it with a forge 007, panel filter and drilled airbox. My DV is old so could be leaking as could yours if it's a standard one. Also check the vacuum line coming from the inlet manifold to the nipple on the DV for leaks.

Reactions: HansfishS3
Too stiff a spring most likely... use a green spring...

when was it last serviced? ideally they need regular servicing (12 months or so) and worth buying the service kit with fresh grease, new o-rings and latest version piston

<tuffty/>

No idea when it was last serviced! Bought the car with it fitted....is it an easy job to do?

Yeah... remove valve (2 x jubilee clips), unscrew the top, strip (the valve not yourself), remove old o-rings, clean with brake cleaner, fit new o-rings, grease, rebuild, refit...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Essexman and HansfishS3
Right guys, the noise is pretty loud so I'm worried for the health of my turbo. Would it be worth ditching the forge and just putting the standard recirculator valve in? ... rather than buying the servicing kit (btw does anyone have a link to where I can buy the kit from?)

Well...think I found the problem :D All fixed!

Attachments

• media-20150708.jpg
    media-20150708.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
Reactions: Richie-XR2
Nice one mate, glad you got to the bottom of it but if I was you I'd get some nice soft silicone vac line as that looks like pretty stiff aquarium tubing that will be more likely to come off again.

I got mine from Ram Air on ebay for around a tenner for 5 meters. Pretty sure I got 4mm stuff.

Yeah replaced it with brand new stuff! Definitely wasn't going to put it back on....out of interest, after a spirited drive I noticed that my Forge 007p was ridiculously hot...couldn't keep my finger on it for more than a second, I assume this is normal?

Reactions: Richie-XR2
Yeah haven't felt mine in the Audi really but my old LCR one used to get very hot. Guy at the rolling road struggled to take the vac line off cos of the heat.

It's all very hot under there... Nature of the beast... Typically more than 900 degrees emanating from the turbo...

<tuffty/>

Well...think I found the problem :D All fixed!
I have a grinding noise when in mild revs but still boosts and goes hard but sounds like grinding gears and loud as! Where was that hose off? Can u show me what it actually came off? Hope it's as small as that for me?? I'm worried bout my turbo too!

Not sure how a faulty Recirc would cause a grinding noise?... anyways the hose went from the bottom of the manifold to the top of the forge 007p :)

Turbo chatter sounds like this
Mine chatters quite a bit at low rpm and is noticeable when parking and stuff like that, I've got a second hand 007p so probably needs rebuilt.

Can you get a video of the grinding noise?

Turbo chatter sounds like this
Mine chatters quite a bit at low rpm and is noticeable when parking and stuff like that, I've got a second hand 007p so probably needs rebuilt.

Can you get a video of the grinding noise?

Mine kinda sounds like that but only when revving at certain revs and driving at certain revs but never when it's boosting I tried to upload a video but it's not working??

What's not opening? The turbo is boosting with no problems and no noise it's only when cruising the noise happens?

What's not opening? The turbo is boosting with no problems and no noise it's only when cruising the noise happens?

The dump valve isn't opening.. thats what causes the 'chatter'... its called compressor stall

<tuffty/>

your DUMP Valve!

hence the flutter noise.
Clearly TOO STIFF a spring AND/OR TOO WEAK a Vacuum signal to it
Not enough vacuum generated on idle to open your dv

Reactions: SamHendry
I took off the main cooler pipe on left and you know how these turbos have a longer inlet pipe with a bend? Mine has a hole punctured through it towards the main inlet hole, I recorded it but can't seem to upload it on here? You can see the metal peeled back I'm sure it's not meant to be there?? Do u have a Facebook account I could send it too? Or proper email? It could explain the flutter noise on vacuum and not anytime else?
your DUMP Valve!

hence the flutter noise.
Clearly TOO STIFF a spring AND/OR TOO WEAK a Vacuum signal to it
Not enough vacuum generated on idle to open your dv
took off