1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trucks that overtake other trucks on the motorway..

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Rich, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Rich

Rich Rollin on boost mother hubbards

[Jan 23, 2007]
    ... but take like 2 miles to do it! WHY TAKE UP TWO LANES YOU STUPID SLOW BASTARDS STAY IN THE RETARD LANE AND STOP WASTING EVERYONES TIME!!!!!!!!

Thank you.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    arrrghhhhh i hate this too!

They always seem to wait until im coming up behind them to do it too!
  4. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Grr i'll join you on this one. The amount of times i've had to slam the anchors on because a trucks pulled out in front of me to overtake. It would be ok if they were quicker. But overtaking when your going half a mph faster than the truck infront is pointless.
  5. Rich

[Jan 23, 2007]
    And then you get the one where the truck thats being overtaken will speed up ever so slightly so the 2 trucks end up driving side by side to each other for like 10 minutes before one of their shitty vehicles manages to get in front of the other. you'd think the amount of time they spend on the road they'd have a clue. :S
  6. 28v6

28v6 Guest

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Oh Oh.... Run Guys... You'll feel the wrath of Fallmonk any minute, and as the line says ....

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."

:undwech: :undwech: :undwech:

P.S He's one:racer: , and this is his pet subject:o.k:
  7. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Its the guy on the inside lane that particularly pisses me right off, he knows the other truck is moving slightly quicker so why doesnt he knock a couple of mph off so the truck blocking the motorway gets by quicker and every1 is happy
  8. Rich

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Common sense is lacking and probably because he dosnt want to admit his 10 Ton hunk of **** is slightly worse than his mates 10 Ton hunk of ****. This is probably my number 1 rage causer while driving on motorways as it happens so often around my area!
  9. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Mick will come along and explain his view on this which does make sense .if you were driving for say 6 hours no stop that 5 mph makes a difference but does cheese people of behind i suppose
  10. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Jan 23, 2007]
    all he needs to do is press minus on the cruise control tho, and only for a few seconds.
  11. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 23, 2007]
    Arrrrghh! A34 is horrendous for this. Brilliant dual carriageway, but it's all hills. Lorries overtaking lorries going up a hill on a dual carriageway. 10 minutes stuck behind the heap of junk while he works out he's never going to make it so pulls back in. Or worse, the idiot in the car in front lets the lorry out, he eventually overtakes the other lorry and then that lorry gets the hump and pulls out to overtake the guy who's just overtaken him. And the tosser in the car lets him!!!!! If the cars in the outside lane were actually not asleep at the wheel then HGV's would rarely get the opportunity to do this.
  12. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 24, 2007]
    This is worse when it's frikin rainind, and the spray from both trucks makes it a hazard to even overtake in the fast lane.... good thing I have good BHP, so can do it pretty swiftly! :racer:
  13. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Jan 24, 2007]
    The M11 is also notorious for this.
  14. L1 HCS

L1 HCS Active Member

[Jan 24, 2007]

:applaus: :lmfao: :iagree:
  15. FactionOne

FactionOne Well-Known Member

[Jan 24, 2007]
    Yep, this really winds me up too.

I'm fully sympathetic to the point of view that if you're going to be on the road for a long time, you don't want to be stuck behind anything that impacts your progress in even the slightest way, that means that I do understand why, if done correctly and cooperatively, truckers can be forgiven for wishing to overtake each other; and it also means that when they're getting it exactly wrong, they're holding me up and it makes me mad.

It seems to be a trend that I spend ever more time on the M6, and I get to enjoy the poorer examples of overtaking-lorries all too often. If it's busy surely they could wait, or better yet help each other out, and as is said above, roll off a touch of speed to quicken the manouvere a bit and then both pick it up again. As Andy says, overtaking the guy who's just done you to prove your Scania really is better than his Volvo is particularly boring.

There's a nice trait to the junction near my house which makes for extra HGV related fun too; as you come up the M6 towards J32 signs for the split for the M55 start appearing REALLY early, and invariably HGVs immediately wish to prepare, and instead of waiting for the white line to change move right out to the third lane (of four). That's not too bad in itself, apart from the fact that NOBODY wants to under-take them; even though the HGV driver knows he's out there for the junction and isn't coming back inside, the dopey driver behind probably knows it too, and the rest of us in the massive queue forming behind know it too!

Regards,

Rob.
  16. Garry

Garry New Member

[Jan 24, 2007]
    AH,I see all the driving expert's,have joined in,it has nothing to do with
    what make of truck your driving,but more to do with the amount of fuel
    lost ,when sitting behind another truck,and your truck is not running at
    it's most efficient.Then the boss is giving you ear ache about fuel cost's,
    and this is all recorded by an on board computer,that report's everything
    you do back to base.It even record's when the consumption,drop's from
    9mpg to 3mpg,when someone pull's out in front of you in there car,of course
    no one on here would dare do that.
    Rant over.
  17. AndyMac

[Jan 24, 2007]
    "when sitting behind another truck,and your truck is not running at
    it's most efficient" - eh? Did you not cover physics in special-ed?
    Slipstreaming another truck will give you more economy not less!
  18. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[Jan 24, 2007]
    Yeah, it's pretty annoying! Mind you, one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen on the roads was while driving across Sussex one Sunday morning, along a country road. As I approached a village, and to my absolute horror, the articulated lorry in front of me started to overtake the lorry in front of him. After what seemed an eternity he completed the move and pulled back in, well after the 30mph limit in the village.

I do sympathise with lorry drivers though; they have to put up with a lot of dullness as well as other inept drivers day-to-day.
  19. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

[Jan 24, 2007]
    I have sympathy with lorry drivers too, it must be a nightmare of a job - that doesnt stop them pissing me off from time to time, as im sure i do to them on occasion.

Its just particularly annoying in scotland where many of our so called motorways have only 2 lanes. wtf
  20. unkle

unkle Beer God

[Jan 25, 2007]
    Yeah, if its three lanes I normally flash them to come out and then overtake, my old man and grandfather were both truck drivers at one stage or another, the roads are full of dicks so a bit of politeness doesnt hurt especially in Germany! (where they drive like bastards). Also when you enter a motorway its usually only truck drivers that make an effort to let you in...
  21. Rich

[Jan 25, 2007]
    To be fair I have noticed that a few times myself :)
  22. Garry

Garry New Member

[Jan 25, 2007]
    That's right Andymac,slipstreaming does work ,but keep it for the race track,using this tecknique on the road,is very dangerous,as you have to be very close to the vehicle in front to gain any benefit.
  23. AndyMac

[Jan 25, 2007]
    Not a truck driver myself, but seen it done many times. I'm sure the brakes on an "arctic" can deal with it.
    And we're still so surprised when yet another motorway is closed due to a jacknifed or overturned lorry.