top speed!!

smudgy57

Reaction score
Just out of intrest, what is the actual top speed you can get out of an S3? Although it has 170 mph/280 kph on the clock is it limited to 150mph? Also mine is an import, so because there is no real speed limit in germany does this mean my s3 is not limited to 150 mph, not that im going to try and get 150 out of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif cheers lads

My understanding is that there is a "gentlemans agreement" between the german manufacturers to electronically limit the top speed of their vehicles to 200kph(i think)/155mph. this applies to all their vehicles no matter where they are sent.

Not sure about the top speed of the S3 but thought it was about 140mph.

So if s3's are limited to say 155mph, what german cars are not limited then? just porsche's i guess and maybe the odd merc amd bmw

Sure even M5's and that really powerful AMG Merc CL600 is limited to 155. Top Gears review of that was where my info is coming from.

Mclaren Merc SLR and poss SL55 might be unlimited tho. And almost definitely some of the top end porsches.

i know the m3 is limited...but the limiter kicks in at an indicated 180+ mph!!..remember idicated and not true mph!

so i wonder how fast say an s3 would go if it was not limited. probaly not much more than 155 anyway........ talking of the slr, im working at mclaren's head office at moment (im a plasterer) doing ron dennis's office etc.(met him too, moody sod) they have the factory floor on show. check out these pic's i took, place is unreal

[ QUOTE ]
neil.c said:
I would think that the chip tuners can remove the speed limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
They can.

sorry i've gone off the main subject!.................i think it would be pointless to get the limiter off anyway, how often would any of us go over 155mph, not me anyway lol:

no prob's lads.... how often does anyone get to see inside mclarens head office....must admit did'nt like the slr at first but now i have seen it in the flesh ....i have kinda changed my mind haha

155 is more or less the max .... it comes down to gearing at the end of the day.
that said it gets there easily and still feels safe.
not that i would ever do it in the UK, trip to Nurburg last year enabled the legs of mine to be streched.

The 225 TT wasn't limited as the published top speed was 151mph.

I had my chipped one up to 265kmph (displayed on climate control) which I believe is something like an indicated 165mph.

WRT displaying on the climate control, I can't get it to work!

1999 S3.

[ QUOTE ]
Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the manual flow control up arrow. You should see a 1c. Press the temperature up ("+") or down ("-") buttons to select a code number. Then press the recirculation button again. The value should display. Press the temperature up or down button again to display another code.

[/ QUOTE ]

just doesn't work.

Can anyone with the same car as mine get it to work?

Is this a 'hidden' feature of the climate control? As I can't see anything about this in the manual???

Can somebody enlighten me?

Cheers

Thanks gilbo, but the page cannot be found /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any other idea's where to find out more about this feature?

Cheers

noodle your gonna have copy and paste all of address some reason wont work unless you do!

cheers tony

This should cover it...

Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the manual flow control up arrow. You should see a 1c. Press the temperature up ("+") or down ("-") buttons to select a code number. Then press the recirculation button again. The value should display. Press the temperature up or down button again to display another code.

NOTE: Air Flow Motor (V 71) and Potentiometer (G 113) are not installed in USA/Canada vehicles. Disregard values displayed for these components.

Code Displayed Value

1 System malfunction - displayed as a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), see chart below
2 Digital value of Interior Temperature Sensor, in Headliner (G 86)
3 Digital value of Interior Temperature Sensor, in Instrument Panel (G 56)
4 Digital value of Fresh Air Intake Duct Temperature Sensor (G 89)
5 Digital value of Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor (G 17), front
6 Digital value of Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor
7 Digital value of Ambient Temperature Sensor At Fresh Air Blower (G 109)
8 Digital value of Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 92)
9 Delta value of Temperature Regulator Flap
10 Non-corrected specified value of Temperature Regulator Flap
11 Digital value of Central Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 112)
12 Specified value of Central Flap
13 Digital value of Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 114)
14 Specified value of Footwell/Defroster Flap
15 Digital value of Air Flow Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 113)
16 Specified value of Air Flow Flap
17 Vehicle Speed (km/h)
18 Actual Air Blower voltage (Volts)
19 Specified Fresh Air Blower voltage (Volts)
20 A/C Compressor (A/C Clutch) voltage (Volts)
21 Number of low voltage occurrences, non-transient
22 Cycle condition of A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch (F 118)
23 Cyclings of the A/C Refrigerant High Pressure Switch (F 118)
24 Cyclings of the switches, absolute non-fluctuating
25 Analog/Digital value, Kick-Down Switch
26 Analog/Digital value, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Warning Light
27 Coding value
28 Engine Speed (RPM)
29 A/C Compressor speed in rpm (Equals Engine Speed x 1.28)
30 Software version
31 Display check (all segments of A/C Control Head display light up)
32 Potentiometer malfunction counter, Temperature Regulator Flap
33 Potentiometer malfunction counter, Central Flap
34 Potentiometer malfunction counter, Footwell/Defroster Flap
35 Potentiometer malfunction counter, Air Flow Map
36 Feedback value, cold end-stop, Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 92)
37 Feedback value, hot end-stop, Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 92), max. stop
38 Feedback value, cold end-stop, Central Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 112)
39 Feedback value, hot end-stop, Central Flap Motor Potentiometer (G 112)
40 Feedback value, cold end-stop, Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor Potentiometer (G114)
41 Feedback value, hot end-stop, Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor Potentiometer (G114)
42 Feedback value, cold end-stop, Air Flow Map Motor Potentiometer (G 113)
43 Feedback value, hot end-stop, Air Flow Map Motor Potentiometer (G 113)
44 Vehicle operation cycle counter
45 Calculated interior temperature (internal software, in digits)
46 Outside (ambient) temperature, filtered, for regulation (internal software)
47 Outside (ambient) temperature, unfiltered, (internal software, in deg C)
48 Outside (ambient) temperature, unfiltered, (in digits)
49 Malfunction counter for speedometer (vehicle speed) signal
50 Standing time (in minutes)
51 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) in deg C
52 Graphics channel 1 - A/C compressor switch-off conditions are identified by illuminated segments of the “88.8” display. See chart below.
53 Graphics channel 2 - Climate system electrical outputs are identified by illuminated segments of the “88.8” display. See chart below.
54 Control characteristics
55 Outside (ambient) temperature, in deg C or deg F depending on setting on A/C control head
56 Temperature in deg C, from Interior Temperature Sensor, in Headliner (G 86)
57 Temperature in deg C, from Interior Temperature Sensor, in Instrument Panel (G 56)
58 Temperature in deg C, from Fresh Air Intake Duct Temperature Sensor (G 89)
59 Temperature in deg C, from Outside Air (Ambient) Temperature Sensor (G 17), front
60 Temperature in deg C, from Ambient Temperature Sensor At Fresh Air Blower (G 109)
61 Software version (latest)

does that work with the new A3 as well or only S3's?

As already stated it is German regulations that say all cars will be limited to 155mph if they would normally exceed this, but this does not apply to the S3 as the top quoted speed is 151 and therefore electronic limiting ios not required. As far as I know the limiting factor on the S3 is the gearing/power.

Whether you car is an import or a UK Audi if it is capable of reaching 155 mph it will be limited as it was built in Germany.

Chip tuners take off the limiter on the powerful cars such as the S4, RS4 etc... but have no need to on cars such as the S3.

Max speed in my A3T is 155mph, it will not and could not go any faster.

have you tried then gambba? getting to 155mph. or are you just saying what you know as a fact?

[ QUOTE ]
S3tony said:
stephv6 should work with all audi's with cc.

cheers tony

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry mate that's not correct.

It's doesn't work on my B6 S4 and it doesn't work on the new A3's. I think it was a feature on the last generation of cars but not the current A3/A4s.

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
[ QUOTE ]
S3tony said:
stephv6 should work with all audi's with cc.

cheers tony

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry mate that's not correct.

It's doesn't work on my B6 S4 and it doesn't work on the new A3's. I think it was a feature on the last generation of cars but not the current A3/A4s.

[/ QUOTE ]

i stand corrected! thanx for letting me know scoTTy.....

cheers tony

[ QUOTE ]
rallydaz said:
have you tried then gambba? getting to 155mph. or are you just saying what you know as a fact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the facts are my car has shown 255km/h (158 mph), so I miss quoted myself before, according to the climate control. I quite regularly have my car up to 148 mph on the clock (which is around 145 mph on the CC), but it would take a long stretch of road to get anywhere near 158 again.
The Autobahn was very straight and long and the air was cool and humid giving perfect conditions for a max speed run, which took me past my turn off by about 4 miles!!

I think Drill's had his A3TQ up around the 255 figure as well, and has probably done it a few more times than me, living in the land of the unlimited speed limit.

Which Climate control does the hidden display feature work on? I have an 03 S3 with the fully automatic CC mounted under the double din radio/cd thing, should it work on this?

Does it have to be done when the car is stationary or on the go?

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
Which Climate control does the hidden display feature work on? I have an 03 S3 with the fully automatic CC mounted under the double din radio/cd thing, should it work on this?

Does it have to be done when the car is stationary or on the go?

[/ QUOTE ]

It works on all 8L A3/S3's with climate control, so will work on your car.

It can be done when stationary or whilst on the move, it doesn't matter.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ok thanks ScoTTy
just out of curiosity how do you get out of this "special display" mode?
or is the car normally on number 55 or 59 and you just have to get back to that number?