To spray, or not to spray.....

smudge_don

Reaction score
Managed to get a nice bargain on an S3 front bumper with all the washer jet hosing, S3 skirts and S3 rear bumper the other day

My bodyshop guy is top notch, and recommended that i get other parts done to get the colour match right with the lava grey i have

For the front bumper, he's saying to get bonnet and wings done to match, the skirts will need the doors doing also to match and the rear bumper can just be done on it's own

This leave the roof, boot and rear quarter panels to be done

So should i just get a full respray?

What do people think? :think:

Crumbs! you may as well, practically there! Does it really need all that done??? Bonnet is a good idea if its heavily stone chipped as it will show up more against the clean bumper. Ive never done that when having bumpers and side skirts done. Its not like your car is old etc.

No but the lava grey will show up quite different apparently due it being a pearlescent colour

And me being a perfectionist, it would drive me nuts if there was any colour difference lol

Also, NHN is helping me fit all the washer jets and auto levelling stuff for the bi xenons i have, so do i get that work done 1st then spray the car? Or spray the bumper up then the rest of the car?

So many choices :(

Can't offer any advice Smudge but sounds like things are coming along nicely :icon_thumright:

Can't offer any advice Smudge but sounds like things are coming along nicely :icon_thumright:

lol cheers Phillip

Another thing popped into my mind, go all out and get a different colour? Like Audi's velvet purple :hubbahubba:

i had me car sprayed a few times now ie bumper ,rear bumper, skirts, spolier, and mine is the same colour as yours
for the front bumper the bodyshop did blend the front to wings (flick the paint in) so that it blends, and they sprayed the whole bonnet too,
for the rear bumper they "flicked" it in slightly with the rear quaters,
for the skirts (votex ones) they just did the skirts on its own ,
the whole car looks perfect,you cant tell where its been sprayed
hope it helps,

Another thing popped into my mind, go all out and get a different colour? Like Audi's velvet purple :hubbahubba:

Any pictures of this color? Don't think I've seen it before.

If anyone was to challenge the 'norm' it's you!

In my opinion I would say no, I had an old astra with a really nice bodykit added in a nice blue and you couldn't tell by the paint that it was an addition to the vehicle only by the fact that it wasn't standard.

I know this is a different paint and colour but surely the colour should be the same? I mean if another car of the same colour was in a crash their not going to do a full respray are they? How good are our eyes?? lol

Any pictures of this color? Don't think I've seen it before.

If anyone was to challenge the 'norm' it's you!

velvet_purple_r8.jpg

In my opinion I would say no, I had an old astra with a really nice bodykit added in a nice blue and you couldn't tell by the paint that it was an addition to the vehicle only by the fact that it wasn't standard.

I know this is a different paint and colour but surely the colour should be the same? I mean if another car of the same colour was in a crash their not going to do a full respray are they? How good are our eyes?? lol

You got lucky

Should always try to blend colours in when spraying new parts like bumpers and skirts

Maybe the bodyshops did it without saying anything but it was never a full respray. Ive had two cars with colour added afterwards by two different bodyshops, can't be lucky twice can I?

Chavvy Green :lmfao:

Actuallly I quite like that purple. Smudge if you're going to fork out for a full respray then purple would definately be worth thinking about (we all know you love your purple).

did you get the kit from nottingham for 900+ vat by any chance? I'd take the chance to change the colour, Ibis it?

Although yes I agree paint shops will say if you want the bestest colour match across panels, to blend it in.

In your circumstance Jordan, its just a waste of money, honestly I had my new parts done of the car so as to get the whole part painted not just the front facing areas & no problems whatsoever with colour matching.

I suggest you also do your parts of the car, not on, as you'll have areas missed & being you're so pedantic about things, that would bother you overall.

Last edited:
Although yes I agree paint shops will say if you want the bestest colour match across panels to blend it in, in your circumstance its just a waste of money Jord, honestly I had my new parts done without rest of car & no problems whatsoever & do your parts of the car not on as you'll have parts missed, had mine done all of the car so done fully & matches fine.

What? :think:

He said get the parts painted when they are off the car and then fit them . That way, no bits will get missed by paint :)

I totally agree with NHN on this one, I had side skirts , front and rear bumpers, spoiler and mirror caps all sprayed up at different times and There is no difference what so ever in the panels. Perfect match , day or night.

And I am the one usually picking up on peoples cars when there is a slight difference!

A lot of it is down to the bodyshop's skill level. The ones I use are top notch, they even know my paint code of the top of their head now lol

Oh and my paint is pearlescent I believe aswell :)

I wouldn't bother - you are always going to have a subtle shade difference between a metal wing and a plastic bumper. As nice as your coach works chap is, i think he's sniffing for a bit of business.

my two pennies worth

Well said as there is no way any coachworks will ever get factory paint condition or colour, 99.99999% close but never the same for sure, they probably have clean rooms etc that have no dust particules, enviroments are controlled to extreme's to get the paint they come out with.

Also its worth noting that even factory cars are never exactly the same colour because it is impossible to mix different batches of paint exactly the same. Thats why when you look in the colour chart books there are 5 or 6 versions of what you would think is a standard red.

I would also point out that after a few years all paintwork suffers from sun damage, laquer damage, chips and general wear an tear no matter how well you have looked after it so any new paint will never match 100%

I also agree with NHN, I've always got my parts painted off the car and fitted them after. Better coverage and we prefer fitting ourselves, keeps costs down too!

i have a genuine s3 grill going spare if you need one..

I just picked up my car at the bodyshop to get rid of those awfull stonechips, took them 3 days to paint the front bumper and hood. They didn't blend in or paint any other parts of the car, and even though my car is 4 years old and phantomblack (not the easiest colour they say), you can't see any difference between the freshly painted panels and the surrounding ones. It does help that my car is properly polished though...

If they can't get it right without messing about on the other panels, you might want to consider another bodyshop...

Ps. Wash your car before you hand it over, tell them not to wash it afterwards, and check your car in sunlight for any damage at pickup.

Agreed on the scouting for business comment above. I had parts sprayed on my old Clio (electric blue so a nightmare to colour match).

As long as he is a decent sprayer, the colour will be fine. As someone else said, it's not as if the car is 10 years old with paint fade.

I would get just the parts sprayed.