Time Travel

Quattro_Lew

All Torque
Reaction score
Do you believe its possible? well at the moment we know its impossible to travel into the past due to laws of physics but the future is less impossible.

"Less impossible"? Surely something's impossible or not; there's no shades of gery here :p

But no, I don't believe it'll ever be possible. Besides, even if you could go back in time would you really want to? What would you hope to achieve? And what about all those paradoxes. :uhm: :faint:

i got reading into the topic lol but i think theres too much glue around here...

i think im just a science nerd pmsl, i find space and things like this really interesting :moa:

Would you want to go forward... mean just think about this one for a bit..

You haven't won the lottery, your broke, lifes against you for the mo, so you think "I'll jump in to the future and see what it holds.." **Poof** SHHHHAAAAZZZZAAMM!!!*** and there you have it... You missed your turn at winning the The National Lottery, You were the only winner, £15 Million.. you blew it, lead the lifestyle of "Olly K" (Only Kiddin' dude!) and now yer back where you started again... missed all the fun at the time, winning, spending, enjoying.. and now you've arrived at a time where your down to your last crust again...

Nahh!! Don't think so...

It would be good having a 'Back to the Future Scenario' and getting a book with all the sports results in. That way you could bet on anything and make a fortune!

God I cannot believe I've just come out with that! I think I need to stay off the pot noodles.

there technically is a way back into the past, but only so far as when the "time machine" was created, ergo you could create the machine, watch the lottery and go back on win it again, pmsl

time travel would destroy the world :)

If you can travel faster than light towards the centre of the universe.... then yeah you can travel back in time (in a fashion). Go away from the centre of the universe faster than the speed on light and yes your can go forward in time (in a fashion)

how can you travel faster than time? when something reaches light speed its mass becomes infinite, your try shifting that any faster :p

Quattro_Lew said:
ok its not impossible to travel forward then :nyah:

i cant see how we will ever travel backwards, but forwards is a possiblity

follow this link and you will get the answers to all your questions

http://www.talktofrank.com/

alternatively call this number 0800 77 66 00

FRANK's here to help

There you go time travel is impossible then. If you can't got faster than the speed of light then you can't time travel ;-)

Nope.

Prof Stephen Hawking nailed it in one of his books when he said something like, "If time travel was possible, we'd be over-run with tourists fom the future".......................just think about that.

Secondly, 'time' doesn't actually exist................just the calibration and measurement OF it ;)

what about the theory of parrallel universes, and all the paradoxes involved in travelling backwards, travelling forward is much more feasbile, you dont neccesarily (sp) have to travel at the speed of light, 10% of light speed you will still be slowing down time

frank said he couldnt help me :(

OK, here it is, in laymans terms.

Technically, as of right now, time travel in either direction is not possible. This is because as has been previously mentioned, travelling at the speed of light or faster is needed.

However. Slowing the speed of light down is not impossible and has been done to a certain extent. The more you slow it down, the easier time travel will be. Once we can slow it down to a level where we can fire particulates at a speed faster than the slowed light then it will be possible, probably in either direction. This can also be seen with a black hole scenario, where light and time are distorted around the edge of the central mass.

It is estimated that the technology to do this is approximately 250 years away. We can currently fire particles at 1/2 light speed, however have only managed to slow light speed down by 0.0032%. This is enough to make a difference and prove that it can be done.

There is a theory which states that ALL religion was introduced by time travellers from hundreds of years from now, to introduce faith and give people something to believe in as the entire planet was at war with itself. This worked for a couple of thousand years, and then fell apart, with the religion itself becoming the cause of the fighting.

i heard you chaps across the pond have managed to slow it to 38mph?

but i cant get my head around it 100%

how can slowing down light enable us to experience slower aging and other time dilation related things

EDIT - i get it now, its just hit me :)

Quattro_Lew said:
i heard you chaps across the pond have managed to slow it to 38mph?

but i cant get my head around it 100%

how can slowing down light enable us to experience slower aging and other time dilation related things

EDIT - i get it now, its just hit me :)

Well to tell you the truth I made it all up, as I have just come back from the pub and it seemed like a good idea... it sounds feasible though HAHA

I'm in London at the moment by the way :)

1) We are travelling through time continuously - simply keep an eye on you wrist watch to see it increasing.

2) I can catorigically say time travel is possible as I travelled back from 2071 to tell everybody to stop thinking of these silly questions because the 12 monkeys told me to do so.

necroeire said:
1) We are travelling through time continuously - simply keep an eye on you wrist watch to see it increasing.

2) I can catorigically say time travel is possible as I travelled back from 2071 to tell everybody to stop thinking of these silly questions because the 12 monkeys told me to do so.

Did they say anything about a plane being able to take off from a conveyor belt?:keule: :ninja:

necroeire said:
1)

2) I can catorigically say time travel is possible as I travelled back from 2071 ....

So, did you bring back any pics of the B19-series A4?

Oh, and did you see Rocky 712 at the cinema?

"The science of Dr Who" is quite a good book on this - looks at all the things on Dr Who and says what is utter b*ll*cks and what could be possible at some point in the future.

Even if you could travel back in time.. it would only be good as an educational experience like seeing the pyramids get built.. etc... You couldn't change anything in the past because of the grandfather paradox.

:wtf: This thread is a little beyond my limited brain power.......

Hi my name is John and I'm back from the future to tell you all about it.

We all live in trees, well those of us with heads that still fit inside the trees, and the women are really ugly.

The best part is Audi have just brought out a new RS4. It has the speed of a turtle, does over 5000000 miles to a pound of salt, comes with splatNav (Did I mention flies are now about the size of elephants) and they have even extended their warranty this year so you now are covered for breakdowns for the first 2 miles............we really are amazed.

Anywayz, I have to go elsewhere now, my mum asked me to check on Blair and Bush to see if they have killed each other yet (there is a big wager on this in the future).

Goodboing all.:salute:

ok, i havent read all the posts, but I reckon it is ! (i believe in UFO's ghosts etc too)

Olly_K said:
ok, i havent read all the posts, but I reckon it is !

Okie dokie then, why do YOU think we haven't had any tourists from the future then? :)

I theory yes traveling back (or is it forward) in time is possible.

Say your standing on Pluto waving in the directing of earth. While someone with a powerful telescope here on earth watches you waving. The light coming from Pluto takes so many years to get to Earth. So if you were to stand and wave then enter a craft that flew faster than the speed of light. You could beat the light that reflected off your and back towards Earth (ie what the telescope watcher can see), back to Earth and then look through the telescope at yourself waving then moving away to get in the craft.

Dan Gliballs said:
Okie dokie then, why do YOU think we haven't had any tourists from the future then? :)

How do you KNOW we havent ?