Time for a build thread....big turbo

3 miles down the road
Dead
Alternator kaput.

Yeah I don't really fancy spending £1000 plus just to fill the rims and look pretty lol, I can get my hands on a used S3 set for around £400ish based on what I've seen on eBay.

To be honest it is the caliper I don't like, the S3 one looks much meatier...the discs on my car aren't a bad size.

And let's not even discuss the rears lol my gran has saucers bigger than those rear discs!!
Don't no when your be looking for new brakes but I have penciled in around Xmas /early new year for bbk so my s3 brakes will be available

Thx very much indeed.

The AP kits fitted but the alternator is dead.

Nice brakes
No power.

Reactions: COSTA_P, s3_trev, Mario8P and 2 others
They look awesome ! Will look better with clean wheels :) taking it straight back to amd for a new alternator?

They look awesome ! Will look better with clean wheels :) taking it straight back to amd for a new alternator?

Out for delivery.

A great day all round. Lol.

When it arrives in the workshop Steve will have his best car friend back.

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist and Smirky
Hopefully they do the trick turn the horsepower up now? Lol

Reactions: S3Alex
Taking it to gti next year do a couple strip runs ?what u think it would run ??

Don't no when your be looking for new brakes but I have penciled in around Xmas /early new year for bbk so my s3 brakes will be available

Hey..please keep me in mind when you take your S3 brakes of! I will definitely forget to please PM me or something?

Hopefully they do the trick turn the horsepower up now? Lol

Going to keep it under 600 bhp for now.

Exhaust needs doing before that and I've spent enough right now !

Reactions: S. and Smirky
Going to keep it under 600 bhp for now.

Exhaust needs doing before that and I've spent enough right now !

Alex, is the possibility of a DSG gearbox still being investigated/theorised about or is this something that will be happening in the future?

You will kick yourself if you go down the DSG route...for ever buying a manual car :p

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist and S3Alex
Alex, is the possibility of a DSG gearbox still being investigated/theorised about or is this something that will be happening in the future?

You will kick yourself if you go down the DSG route...for ever buying a manual car :p

Yes.
Andy at Storm is pricing things up and deciding which box is the most suitable.

They've already done a TTRS conversion using the Syvecs which already has software to interface with the DSG.

Later in the year perhaps.

Reactions: Compkiler
Fingers crossed that it's "only" the battery or alternator.

There was a slight high pitched whine from the car which neither Steve not I could trace,and he took all of the engine belts off,checked them all out,and even disconnected the fan pack etc to try and track it down......anyhow,when he'd connected them all back up,the noise had gone.

Now it could well have been the alternator....find out soon.

Reactions: Smirky
Hope it's just the alt mate and nothing more sinister

Hope it's just the alt mate and nothing more sinister

If it is,I'm screwed.

The thing has got to the point where it's not easy to fix any more.
If it's ECU related(which I don't think it is)then it needs to be connected to the internet to fix...LOL

It did turn over once last night at AMD with that sort of dying battery effect,so I can hope.....it all seemed too easy getting the brakes done,as the car always fights back in some way,but this was a sneaky one from the car.

Reactions: Compkiler and Smirky
Yeah its had so much love money and time go into it that you have to fix it too,I think your be ok with a new alt (possibly new battery) is your ecu under warranty ?

Yes.
Andy at Storm is pricing things up and deciding which box is the most suitable.

They've already done a TTRS conversion using the Syvecs which already has software to interface with the DSG.

Later in the year perhaps.

Hopefully all goes well Alex, and that it's just an alt or battery issue!

Hopefully all goes well Alex, and that it's just an alt or battery issue!

Turned out to be the starter motor,which explains a lot.

Battery had voltage,but was dropping it sufficiently with a duff starter for everything else to drop out as well.

Hazard lights were OK though.....

Reactions: Sayam
Turned out to be the starter motor,which explains a lot.

Battery had voltage,but was dropping it sufficiently with a duff starter for everything else to drop out as well.

Hazard lights were OK though.....
Good glad it's all sorted and not to expensive ,first time you have replaced it? Mileage?dont the hazards take priority for safety reasons?

Good glad it's all sorted and not to expensive ,first time you have replaced it? Mileage?dont the hazards take priority for safety reasons?

The hazards will work down to 9V,but as it turned out,they weren't the problem anyway.

First replacement.....75 000 miles,so not too bad.

Reactions: Smirky
Hi Alex, did you have to use spacers with the AP kit?

With stock wheels you need a 3mm spacer which I think is in the kit.

With the ones I have there was plenty of room.

Reactions: s3_trev
Happy to hear that as I now have same wheels as you.

Good wheels.

Very light and well made.
The AP kit fitted under them with no trouble at all.

Reactions: s3_trev
Mmmm mine is on 67k due to go soon then
I had a 2008 S3 stage 1 140k miles...replaced gearbox after crunching too many times, but nothing else. Didn't even change clutch. I had it from 60k. Caned it everyday. Track days, Nurburgring twice in one year...I must have been lucky...then some poor b*stard stole it!

Reactions: Smirky and S3Alex
I had a 2008 S3 stage 1 140k miles...replaced gearbox after crunching too many times, but nothing else. Didn't even change clutch. I had it from 60k. Caned it everyday. Track days, Nurburgring twice in one year...I must have been lucky...then some poor b*stard stole it!
Not that lucky if it got pinched :)

The beastie is back where it belongs.

Starter motor replaced and now it stops AND starts. Lol.

More to come after the brakes are bedded in but it already feels better.

Next item is getting the lean trip setting on the ECU adjusted as the car can sometimes trip that under hard acceleration.
The lambdas and fuel pressures all look OK so we think it's just the limits set too narrow.

Reactions: PippinR and Mario8P
I need a scrap metal man,or maybe I should set myself up in the business......

And just look at the state of these....

Single pot rear calipers...

And the fronts aren't much better....

As it's all a bit hot uner the hood,I had a bit of a Reflecta-Gold experiment....

My mistake was buying a single sheet for the middle section,not thinking of the bonnet curvature,so that's got to be replaced.

Compare those horrid old single pot rears with these....

Now I need to get the whole lot bedded in before getting back to normal...

Brakes look decent ! And so they should for the money! On the tape will that not keep the heat inside the engine bay? or does it absorb it?

Brakes look decent ! And so they should for the money! On the tape will that not keep the heat inside the engine bay? or does it absorb it?

Well.....it's a bit of an experiment.
I removed the sound deadening which really was getting properly ******,and thought the bonnet underside would only get more of the same,and the paintwork would suffer.

My old Sierra had a patch on the bonnet where the turbo was cooking the paint from below,and the paint had crazed and gone slightly off-white.

The other mod is to remove the rubber sealing strip at the rear of the bonnet,but only when it's dry...

Reactions: grchmason
Well.....it's a bit of an experiment.
I removed the sound deadening which really was getting properly ******,and thought the bonnet underside would only get more of the same,and the paintwork would suffer.

My old Sierra had a patch on the bonnet where the turbo was cooking the paint from below,and the paint had crazed and gone slightly off-white.

The other mod is to remove the rubber sealing strip at the rear of the bonnet,but only when it's dry...
Is there a way you can re-route something off the air con to feed cold air under the bonnet? Or is that crazy and wouldn't work?

Is there a way you can re-route something off the air con to feed cold air under the bonnet? Or is that crazy and wouldn't work?

I think it wouldn't work well!

The best solution is just better underbonnet ventilation.

Removing the sealing strip would help but does leave a gap for water to get in.

I'll see how we go for a bit while the brakes settle in.

I think it wouldn't work well!

The best solution is just better underbonnet ventilation.

Removing the sealing strip would help but does leave a gap for water to get in.

I'll see how we go for a bit while the brakes settle in.
How many miles do they recommend u bed them in for before giving them a caining ?

How many miles do they recommend u bed them in for before giving them a caining ?

There are as many recommendations as there are brake pads....on all the cars in the world.....LOL

It's like how to run in a new engine almost.

The advice from AP,and from AMD and my previous engine builder(who also raced in rallycross and Historic GpC) is to use progressively more braking effort from higher speeds over around 50-100 miles,and avoid cooking them early on.
Very similar to bedding an organic clutch in.

Reactions: grchmason