1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thumping oh the thumping!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by neversaydie, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    Hmm OK listen up Miltek owners!

    Anybody have any issues with your rear back box thumping the rear valance that say AMD or your fitter cut out?

    Its like a constant thumping everytime I go over bumps - checked the back box and sure enough the pipes have black marks on them where the plastic is melting on every thump.

    Want to take it back to AMD - but the drive is a nightmare from where I live and I dont want to be dragged around Bicester Shopping retail Village anymore by my other half! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
    #1
  2. Ads

    Ads

    [Oct 22, 2014]

  3. RichA3Turbo
    Offline

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,090
    Likes Received:
    4
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    Take a scalpal to the bumper and shave off some more plastic!

    Rich
    #2
  4. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    Oh yeah forgot to ask also...

    What bracket is there on the exhaust that holds it up on the rear back box as AMD say that mine didnt have one but shouldnt be a problem - Obvioulsy is a problem ^^^ as above post states. Audi part number and pics would be welcome. Thx
    #3
  5. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    If I shaved anymore off it would look daft as AMD did it it must be like a standard cut which would allow for this no? Rich did you have to cut more off?
    #4
  6. rickparmar
    Offline

    rickparmar va va voom

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Messages:
    2,268
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    show us som pics
    #5
  7. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    Of my exaust? I will tommorow as me camera is around my otherhalf with me pics of it on. Will post l8r.
    #6
  8. RichA3Turbo
    Offline

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,090
    Likes Received:
    4
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    neversaydie said:
    Rich did you have to cut more off?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    My milltek is unique! they designed it on my car. Mine sits under the valance, not through it which eliminates this problem. Also they didnt stop with adjustments until it was absolutely perfect.

    Rich
    #7
  9. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    Why did you go for a unique Pipe and how much did that set you back - curious? Do you think AMD will take another look then? Will have to give em a tinkle tommorow then I suppose.
    #8
  10. rickparmar
    Offline

    rickparmar va va voom

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Messages:
    2,268
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    sounds stupid but what exactly is a miltek
    #9
  11. imported_Yaseen
    Online

    imported_Yaseen Guest

    [Nov 9, 2004]
    #10
  12. HTC
    Offline

    HTC Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2004
    Messages:
    3,413
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 9, 2004]
    Its the name of a company that make exhausts.
    #11
  13. Ess_Three
    Offline

    Ess_Three Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2001
    Messages:
    5,383
    Likes Received:
    6
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    HTC said:
    Its the name of a company that make exhausts.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Let's be more specific:

    The name of a company that makes exhausts that don't fit very well, always bang and knock, and add no power whatsoever despite outlandish claims.

    Their cats are also none too great fitting either...and cause engine check lights after only a couple of years...oh, and also add no power.

    Great.

    Oh, of course, these are my own findings...everyone tells me how good they are...yeah, right!

    To give them their due, they have replaced the cats under warranty.
    But the ill fitting exhaust has knocked for 3 1/2 years despite many re-hangings at Milltek dealers, and after many conversations with people at Milltek (including the owner) nothing has ever been done to solve the problem

    So there it sits...squint. Knocking and banging like an old Sierra.
    Not impressed.
    #12
  14. HTC
    Offline

    HTC Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2004
    Messages:
    3,413
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    I was speaking to Jon Nicholson from Miltek last week. They have re-designed the A3 downpipe and sports cat. Production started yesterday on the new one.

    I'm getting one of the first. I guess I'll have to see how it goes.
    #13
  15. rickparmar
    Offline

    rickparmar va va voom

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Messages:
    2,268
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    o thanks 4 that, R u people getting the backbox only or the full system
    #14
  16. Ess_Three
    Offline

    Ess_Three Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2001
    Messages:
    5,383
    Likes Received:
    6
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    HTC said:
    I was speaking to Jon Nicholson from Miltek last week. They have re-designed the A3 downpipe and sports cat. Production started yesterday on the new one.


    [/ QUOTE ]

    That's nice of them.
    Nice to see there was a problem wuith the Mk1 design that they are evidently not willing to fix for the people who put their faith in a so called quality producy, and already bought one!

    I wonder if this is also the case for the ill fitting S3 stuff?
    #15
  17. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    Is that your experience with an S3 pipe?

    You have a diffrent version pipe than the normal A3 as you have a few more things, such as 4wd. The pipe is shaped diffrent to go around these issues.

    As an update, AMD have agreed to take it in again on Saturday the 20th November to refit and fix the bracket. They pretty much guarnteed that it would not bang or knock anymore once they look at it. So until then I guess.
    #16
  18. RichA3Turbo
    Offline

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,090
    Likes Received:
    4
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    neversaydie said:
    Is that your experience with an S3 pipe?

    You have a diffrent version pipe than the normal A3 as you have a few more things, such as 4wd. The pipe is shaped diffrent to go around these issues.

    As an update, AMD have agreed to take it in again on Saturday the 20th November to refit and fix the bracket. They pretty much guarnteed that it would not bang or knock anymore once they look at it. So until then I guess.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    No 4wd for me! its just an A3 1.8T Sport FWD.

    Rich
    #17
  19. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    Sorry Rich was refering to Ess Three. I know about your car m8 - I want it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif
    #18
  20. RichA3Turbo
    Offline

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,090
    Likes Received:
    4
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    neversaydie said:
    Sorry Rich was refering to Ess Three. I know about your car m8 - I want it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

    [/ QUOTE ]

    my bad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
    #19
  21. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    Nope my fault should use that quote button but I have this habbit of being lazzy and using the blank down below rather than hitting one more button /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
    #20
  22. Just Plain Old
    Offline

    Just Plain Old Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2004
    Messages:
    1,265
    Likes Received:
    6
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    HTC said:
    Its the name of a company that make exhausts.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Let's be more specific:

    The name of a company that makes exhausts that don't fit very well, always bang and knock, and add no power whatsoever despite outlandish claims.

    Their cats are also none too great fitting either...and cause engine check lights after only a couple of years...oh, and also add no power.

    Great.

    Oh, of course, these are my own findings...everyone tells me how good they are...yeah, right!

    To give them their due, they have replaced the cats under warranty.
    But the ill fitting exhaust has knocked for 3 1/2 years despite many re-hangings at Milltek dealers, and after many conversations with people at Milltek (including the owner) nothing has ever been done to solve the problem

    So there it sits...squint. Knocking and banging like an old Sierra.
    Not impressed.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Hummmm. Is this just an S3 Problem?

    I don't 'appear' to have any issues with my S4, should I expect to?
    #21
  23. richy
    Offline

    richy Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2004
    Messages:
    892
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    im sure ive bored everyone with my problem from day one..

    awesome have solved the prob for a temp solution

    and miltek are designing a new one to fit as it should sometime soon hopefully.
    #22
  24. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    <font color="green"> My pictures - a little dark but hey..If you want a close up I can get one
    </font>
    #23
  25. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    Cat!!
    #24
  26. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 10, 2004]
    And the close up...
    #25
  27. HTC
    Offline

    HTC Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2004
    Messages:
    3,413
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 11, 2004]
    I got my milltek downpipe and sports cat today, looks like a very good quality bit of kit at the mo. the cat is really small on it.

    Time to bust out the spanners!
    #26
  28. RAPS3
    Offline

    RAPS3 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2003
    Messages:
    1,128
    Likes Received:
    100
    [Nov 14, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So there it sits...squint. Knocking and banging

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Miltek's are not the only ones that bang away Glen, my Magnex does exactly the same. It actually knocks the floor near the gear selector. Especially at full throttle around right handers - sometimes puts the sh#ts up me mid corner which is not good.
    #27
  29. neversaydie
    Offline

    neversaydie Post Whore

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
    Messages:
    1,755
    Likes Received:
    0
    [Nov 14, 2004]
    Seems this post has been bumped...

    So should I not expect to drive away this saturday with a knock free car?

    If this is the case I will prob put my stock exhast back on as I cant stand horible noises!
    #28

Share This Page