Thinking of selling the s3!

edward_harris said:
...it only gets used weekends and thats mostly around town!...

So what's the point in trying to build a car that runs 400bhp+? As you certainly couldn't use it to its potential 'around town'? It's unbelievable that you have so much money to waste.

Why Jap? keep it Audi and buy an RS2 or even better a short wheel based S1 quattro (mind you these are silly money if you can find one for sale)

You guys are so harsh! Get what you want edward,life is too short.
Evo is a cracking car there is not much that can touch it on the twisties.Ask yourself what you want and the decision will make itself.

Ryanc said:
You guys are so harsh! Get what you want edward,life is too short.
Evo is a cracking car there is not much that can touch it on the twisties.Ask yourself what you want and the decision will make itself.

Thanks mate you and a few others are the only decent people i have met on this site, i dont understand why you lot are harsh to everyone?! Have you nothing better to do than bitch?! i only said i was thinking of selling it!

It's an internet forum, it's what happens. This forum is miles better behaved than others. It is also spam-free: well done moderators.

If you didn't want peoples opinions then why the **** ask in the first place?
Ryan you are right..life is short but Eds would be shorter in a truly fast car

P.S.get a clio V6

why would i want a clio v6? there no faster than my s3! I dont mind peoples opinions, but you guys dont have to be such dicks about it! a simple, you have spent loads keep it for now, or get rid of it and get......??

can you quote the 'dicks' threads as I have had a look and to be honest I haven't seen any insulting ones which need the poster being labelled a '****' Ed

I looked at various 4wd cars before I bought the S4, and NONE compare for the money. Most of my mates are into the jap stuff for all out speed and cornering like the car's on rails, depends what you're into. An old sparring partber of mine had a stripped out Evo 7 and it was blisteringly quick, but the MPG was that shocking he was scared to drive it, and remove it from its garage for the fear of twoc'ers.
An Audi is a thinking man's performance car, and are very comfortable, especially for those who spent years training martial arts, and taking beatings for breakfast.
S3 will be like going from an old pair of slippers to a pair of stillettos, good but not as comfy.
*Evo's do look and sound the ******, and deserve a straight through pipe for flame throwing and popping*

dont get a v6 clio , they are slow , a bitch to work on , and go wrong like every french car , get a evo 6 / 7 , a lot more fun to drive than the s3 and a lot quicker ,

get a uk spec RX7 (gen 3) not as quick as standard as the import but better spec'd and cheaper to insure. Id also consider looking at celica gt4 or if you can live with a left hooker lancia delta intergrale evo 3.

You can pick up the celica's and rx7 for a lot less money than the evo, and have money spare to spend on it although most are tuned up anyway these days

nissan 350z:hubbahubba:,drove one at bedford autodrome on a drifting course it was unreal.

nick-barnes07 said:
dont get a v6 clio , they are slow , a bitch to work on , and go wrong like every french car , get a evo 6 / 7 , a lot more fun to drive than the s3 and a lot quicker ,

LOL give over they are far from slow. I have a friend with one and he is very into his and knows a few others with them from the owners club. They rarely if at all have any trouble. Thats a pretty sweeping statement just because its a french.

Jesus christ lay off him LOL. I am sure he is fully aware he will lose money if he isnt he will soon. No need to be so brutal about it. Seems like the place is full of old men who cant remember what it is like to be young.

I did the same thing with an MR2 Turbo, granted not as much as you have spent but it top close to 5K, then 3 months later I sold it. I got what I paid for the car, only because of the rebuild but I lost probs 90% of the value I spent on the rebuild etc. Which is why now I could never be bothered I would simply sell what I have and buy something different/faster whatever I fancied.

I can understand why he wants to sell even with monster power the S3 is still a ****** boring numb car IMO and I own one. I am hankering after a scooby after just 4 months of ownership. I drove a bug eye Sti and I havent smiled so much since my MR2 Turbo :)

Do whatever you want ed and ignore the moaning minnys in this thread

All IMO of course ;)

I had a mr2 turbo 5/6 years back,rev3 with 300bhp...great fun!!

lol thanks twist, i think I'm going to put as much of it back to standard and sell the bits on there own, ie brakes, suspension maybe even turbo! I'm looking at spending £15000 max on the next car so if anyone else has any ideas what to get for that let me no!

is a fq 330 gonna be that much quicker than mine tho? seeing as I'm running about 360bhp? i no they weigh less but wouldn't it take say a fq400 to really feel the difference?!

Ed I thought you where putting your S3 on a weight watchers diet! ;)

i cant see a evo being much quicker unless it's running 360bhp +. Did take all the boot install out and rear seats, which did make it quicker! but dont want to keep doing that when i want some fun! only way to get that car quick would be strip everything out!

ha ha

Something like this Ed!

r3gen26.jpg

Or maybe you just need to save for this!! Golf GTI W12...

gtiw12_1.jpg

i would love that golf! i want something quick but not that i have to strip it out of all it's seats etc!

Ok :(

Did you ever get that external / non atmospheric DV fitted? Giving you that authentic dump valve sound?

A fq330/fq340 won't be much quicker than the s3 but it will easily outhandle the s3 in whatever form
Depends on budget but for £15k including mods,i'd go for.
Evo 5/6 running full standalone/decent turbo set-up brakes suspension 420-550bhp
evo 7 with standalone ,better turbo etc 380-420bhp
evo 8 remapped 380bhp.

james0808 said:
FQ 330 will **** on your S3.

Weird that, cos a guy I know round here has an fq340 and my BT s3 is easily as quick, and far more refined!

Now if he messed with his 340, it would be maybe a little different, but as stock, a 350hp s3 on a nice low lag roller bearing turbo takes some beating.....ask the 996 owner who tried it on when I was taking a fellow forum member out for a demonstration.......poor guy looked kinda embarrased.....and I only had 1.4bar of the 1.6 possible dialled in! !!

Ed, I think you will get something different for your money, but quicker.....I am not so sure. People will harp on about cars being quicker on track etc, but that comes down to hwo good and brave you want to be......I think for you Ed you will be as quick or a slow on track in your s3 as pretty much anything you drive!!

So change if you want to change, but for outright speed I am not sure you will get something noticeably quicker unless you compromise a lot on somethings or spend enormous sums of cash!

funny that my 340bhp evo (1350kg) feels alot more controllable and smooth than my old s3 ihi set-up, remember the evo is a 2 litre with a twin scroll(mines also titanium shaft) turbo and it spools up quicker than the ihi ever did even though it's a bigger turbo. In a roll-on from 30+ there wouldn't be alot in it,obviously from a standing start the evo has the edge.The chassis is a miles better and the handling is in a different league.Comfort/build quality/cruising the s3 wins hands down ,dynamically the evo is (especially e5/e6) as near a competition car for the road as you can get.

Its all moved on a little since you had yours Ryan! Mine pulls like a train from 3k revs now, its all down to new injectors and reworked inlet manifold.

Hey, the fq340 is a fine car perfomance wise, but the comment that an FQ 330 will "****" on a BT s3 is nonesense....the same as my s3 wont "****" on an M3 or 996, it may be marginally quicker, but marginally quicker aint "*******" on anything!

Anyway, I think we leave Ed to make his decisions. My earlier point is that without spending some serious serious money, you will not be finding anything substantially quicker than his car that should be capable fo 1-100 in the 11s, low 13 quarters and 60-100 in 4th around 6 seconds.......! You have to spend some fair wedge on a stock car to beat those figures by a noticeable margin.

Ed if you do sell up, I may have your uprated haldex controller! :)

I can't see a set of injectors and a inlet manifold improving spool .
I agree with your comment about cars with 330-350 roughly weighing the same not whipping each other in a straightline race thats pretty obvious,but on the twisties is a different matter.I could easily put together a e6+ that is capable of 30-130mph in 13.9 seconds a mid 11 second 1/4 for less than what edward has paid,approx 430bhp 420lb/t and that would be noticably quicker.