The TQS Owners thread

And Paul, if you go for big pOwer and do it right, you shouldnt get any reliability problems if your sub 280bhp, these aren't fords lol the engines are worlds apart quality wise

Any pics of the A3 mate?

I reckon the same, sub 280 and the rods should be fine.. Unless you're really unlucky

its only a 1.6 sport, mines gonna be horrendous on fuel in a few weeks so its gonna be a stripped out weekend beast :)

this is the only pic ive got atm!

got it for a crazy price too!

131461_102764999797636_100001924093090_22774_7548245_o.jpg

You'll have to add it to your sig then! You going to keep the 1.8 legal, or go all out on it?

Just been looking, and insurance is about £1100 on a 1.6, so for around £1700, this could be a viable option for me as well. Although when you add in tax, m.o.t + running maintenance it's probably not worth it for me at the moment. I can't imagine you paid any where near that for the insurance!

yeah its staying legal, just gonna strip it bare ****! stripped plus 300+bhp should be interesting! :)

just gotta get this black one through its mot (sigh) and ill be up and running in it! work this out, i pay 1400 to insure my quattro but for me to insure both a3's on the same policy it drops to 1100?! whats that all about!? lol

1100 for the two is a bargain!! When does work on the track slag start?

well i need to get this black one legal first then the work will start on the quattro! id say in the next 2-3 weeks the turbo will be on :) just looking forward to getting these wheels on first, mine actually repulse me when i look at them lol!

Any idea if anything needs doing apart from the M.O.T? Looks a pretty smart example apart from that..

Might be easier to meet you in Bridgend this time, then head up to Bills in 3/4 weeks for some dyno fun/mapping for your car..

right sorted out what im doing with the car.

new oil catch can
custom dv coldside
forge Dv
Forge tip
black headlights with day lights
6k hid kit
suspension (fk coilovers, forge tie arms, lcr top mounts and bearings)
long life exhaust (2.5 full system with 200cell cat and 3" downpipe with 6x4 oval tip)
remap stage 2 by Rtech
312mm carriers

total cost £2000
i will even give you guys the pleasure of calling me a t**t or a d**k if i decide to do anything like big turbo etc before all this is done.

You don't need a lot to get it to stage 2 really do you. I need to fit a fmic, forge tip and intercooler pipe, and I think I'm then pretty much there as well.

dont like the sound of the daylights at all lol! the rest i sound though!

where are you planning on getting the downpipe?

Not sure about the DRL's either to be honest.

Keep us both in the loop with regards to the downpipe mate, as i'd probably get one done at the same time

Yeah I swear to god I google for downpipes like every night lol!

Chris, don't fancy posting these wheels do you? I so badly need them but what with all that's gone on I'm not sure when I'll be able to meet for them!! If you do, just give me a price and I'll get the cash straight to you!

down pipe will probs be custom made so will either go to long life or mig performance well im saving for suspension at mo so exhaust looking around mid july will let you 2 know about 2 weeks before i book it in will try and sort a bit of discount out.

the drl will come with the lights so its optional if i conect them or not.

yeah stage 2 should be good looking around 230-240bhp if i get 240 i will do back flips at r tech lol

ive got one like that but with a smoked guage, fits in verrry nicely :)

Quattro1, Reesyboy..... Guys..... What pirates are you insured with that are charging you circa £1400 for your insurance. I'm 22, all my mods have been declared to my insurer, and my premium is £800.

?!?!

Alex.

direct line :( they were the only ones i could get insured with! i was 23 when i took my policy with them, 0 years no claims and 3 points lol

I'm with rac insurance, and i was 18 when i took my policy out, with 1 years no claims

I'm with Elephant, they are fine with mods up to stage 1 (remap, exhaust, induction/filter) and brakes and alloys as well. Once you mention intercooler, or upwards, it's a no-go. I'll probably switch to a more "mod-friendly" broker when I renew. If you have been driving claim-free as a named driver for some time, a lot of companies (including Elephant) will convert this to a no-claims bonus if you are a new customer and you ask nicely :)

Reesy, what front mount are you planning on getting? I'll prob get mine in 2-3 months time, could be good to set up a group buy if enough are interested?

What downpipe and sports cat have u got mate?

Weird how they will insure a mod like a full exhaust that actually adds bhp, and not a front mount that adds nothing lol

I know mate, it's so frustrating how narrow minded they are, maybe it's because of the crash-bar issue.. who knows...

My exhaust is completely custom stainless system (MIJ in B'ham), they did a 3" DP to a 2.5" mid section and 2.25" tail. Sports cat is just a generic high-flow 200cell.

You thinking of getting a better dp and cat? The stainless downpipe has made a noticeable difference to my turbo spool up time :)

better not let them know my crash bar is sat in my kitchen then!! LOL :whistle2:

how much did that cost if u dont mind me asking? i need a downpipe made for when i fit this big turbo ive got sat next to me lol! :sob:

Ha, no probably not the best idea :D

The full turbo-back (including downpipe and sports cat) was a smidgen under 600. Downpipe on it's own is about 180 from them, sports cat about 160, but obv the full system is cheaper than individual parts. Quality of the welding could have been better, but they can't be beaten on price.

Mate - you HAVE to let us know the difference with the 28rs in.. What's it rated to? 325? Have you upgraded rods or are you going to go easy on the boost?

im going to be abit conservative on boost for the mean time. i wanted to just get the single most expensive thing bought first then start to collect goodies for bigger power, going to see if i can get it mapped to around 300bhp with low torque just so the rods are safe. then get WMI, rods, inlet mani, exhaust mani and im seriously tempted to start looking into nos purely because it doesnt seem very popular in the vag scene! lol (plus ive always wanted red buttons on my wheel! :) )

600 is a really good price! i was quoted £350 just for a catback at my local place! might have to see if rees is up for a trip to birmingham! :) is your car very loud?

i got quoted 800 from mij hmm will have to speak with them again soon.

if you want an insurance company who are ok with mods adrian flux ftw also the whole thing with the named ncb doesnt work with all companys as i had 5 years named ncb but no where would let me use it only the insurance company i was with which was prudential and they wanted 1800 on my last car with 5 yrs ncb on a 106 gti went with flux decared everything including new engine rebuild and suspension exhaust wheels brakes stripped out interior and they only wanted £1000 and it was exactly the same standard they dont charge for mods.

Sounds like a plan! Where did you get the beastly turbo from? Can't wait to upgrade the turbo - 180 to 230hp was a very noticeable increase, but you get used to the power so quickly :sob: how much are the rods and inlet/exhaust mani? Custom job on both?

Paul - I was quoted £450 for the turboback and £180 for the sports cat, so £630, but I negotiated 40 off. If they are quoting you more than £630 for your TQS, then either go on one of their eBay auctions and put an 'offer' in, or keep calling until they quote you 630 or less lol.

I've heard good things about Adrian Flux, do they know their stuff when it comes to mods? Apparently they can be quite expensive though if you only have 1 or 2 years no claims (I'll have 3 years no claims on renewal in about 6 weeks time, so maybe it'll be ok)..

P.S. Quattro1, no the car isn't loud, they offer three choices for sound; quiet, mid-sport or sport. Quiet is resonated with a silenced mid box and rear box, this is what I have. Mid-sport just has the rear silencer, and sport is non-resonated and is VERY loud.

Mine sounds barely louder than stock when flooring it, and has a nice little burble when letting off at low revs, reversing and pulling away.

:)

wicked info cheers mate! ill be going for sport because i absolutely hate my neighbours :)

i managed to get it for a decent price from ebay! came with everything i need bar injectors! deffo going to be getting in touch with this exhaust company sometime very soon me thinks! cheers again for the info mate, i was expecting to be paying 1k+ for what i wanted!

and lol, tell me about it about getting used to the power! take it for a blast in the rain though and you can pretty much leave anything standing from the lights! thats what i love about these cars :)

I would be up for a trip to brum for a downpipe, especially as that price. Although I'd hope that the welding was half decent! Paul could always meet us there as well, and we could see if we could get a bit off for 3

The welding between sections on the downpipe is fine, it's the welding where the pipe has gone from 2.5" to 2.25" and the welding on the exhaust hangers which isn't great. But to be honest, as long as the weld is intact and the exhaust doesn't blow, it's not likely to be a problem. Besides, they give you a lifetime guarantee, so if it breaks you can take it back and get it fixed for free (plus the fact they are so cheap in the first place).

Ahhh you kept the standard diameter pipework? Can I ask why? Doesn't that defeat the object of upgrading the exhaust on a turbo car? Lol I guess that's how they help keep the sound down though? Hmmm

Chrisssss I want those wheeeellllssss lol :(

I'm off thursday if you can arrange something for then mate?

Will have to look into that downpipe then, you don't have any pics of when you picked it up do you?

No mate, my downpipe is 3", the mid-section is 2.5 and the tails are 2.25. Standard exhaust is 2.25 all through I believe? Maybe 2.5 further up. They didn't put a reducer between midsection and tails so it's just a big fat weld lol

I'd be going 3'' DP to 2.75'' mid section, so I'd be looking at them putting in a restrictor, not a big fat nasty weld

Reesy they put a flange on the end of the downpipe and the start of the midpipe, so that's no a problem, it's where they join the midpipe to the tails, or the backbox to the tails, that's the problem area. Not sure if they fabricate 2.75" piping, but no harm in asking :)

Paul - Btw, how comes you want a new exhaust? Is your powerflow busted?

i aint got a powerflow exhaust yet m8 its in my to-do list me bro got his beemer exhaust done at mij and they did a good job on that so will be going there especially for £640 will probs go mid-sport.

about the insurance flux i found where cheapist an i only have 1 yr ncb so carn't wait till im 25 next yr might go down a fair bit at last lol.

will get suspension sorted then will organise something with reesy boy and quattro 1 on the downpipe groupbuy

230bhp with a stage 2 revo map?

will probs go wayne at chipwizards or r-tech see if they can push 240bhp out of the k03s

Sounds like a plan Paul.

Couple of pics of my latest addition:

5786042760_1cd9c04b80_z.jpg

5786036592_f40d517fc1_z.jpg

What do you reckon?