1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The A3/S3 LED Bulb "how to" Guide!

tobycruse Nov 21, 2008

1. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

Adding a resistor should get rid of the 'dim issue' problem....i put 1 resistor in the front and that cured the back sawell as there on one circuit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. 330_2_S3

330_2_S3 Member

I read on page 2 that you don't need this if you don't have the front map readers.....Bulbs haven't arrived as yet so will give it a go first then see if it requires the resistor. Cheers mate

3. Kev_M5KPL

Kev_M5KPL Member

I need them in my life i have been looking at some way of getting bright white led's in to all the holders hhhmmmm

4. 330_2_S3

330_2_S3 Member

Look like I need a resistor! :(

Even though I don't have the map reading lights I still get the random "glow" off one of the L.E.D's whilst driving randomly and it will switch on and off randomly too?

Any ideas anyone? Or should I just stick a 150kOhm resistor on the front light circuit?

5. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Yeah stick a resistor on the front. The back runs on the same circuit so will affect that one too.

6. 330_2_S3

330_2_S3 Member

Ok cheers mate will have a go tonight....

7. diu

diu New Member

Hey guys,

Just gone through all the pages in this thread and had a question regarding the number plate LED:

I'm looking at purchasing either:
    Welcome to HIDCONCEPT.COM - The #1 source of HID lighting system, bulbs, and other HID components
    or
    the one that N8 is using

and was wondering as these already have an error canceller, does this mean I do not need to buy two 2W 150R resistors so that I don't get a DIS code?

also, will these overheat like the standard plastic 36mm festoon?

thanks in advance :laugh:

8. J.R.

J.R. "Started From The Bottom" VCDS Map User

What size resistor did you use ?

9. vw754

vw754 vorsprung Durch Technik

10. robp_kent

robp_kent New Member

Just found these 36mm Festoons on ebay with built in resistors and heat sink. Going to give them a try and will report back unless anyone has already tried them?

11. JNP

JNP Member

12. Maxumo

Maxumo Member

Brilliant guide!

All bulbs now ordered!

13. Pauljamescaton

Pauljamescaton Member

14. Pauljamescaton

Pauljamescaton Member

Update, absolutely wounded, I have bought some LED bulbs from Halfrauds as they were just there...

Tried one in with a 150Ω and a 120Ω resistor, worked perfect..... then tried the other one, the bulb is not only a lot brighter but then with the same resistor set up throws the DIS warning up???? stuck what to do now if anybody can help.....????

Please????

Paul

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  15. Maxumo

Maxumo Member

Did my footwell lights, puddle lights and map readers (still waiting on the 42mm bulbs)
    all working great!
    The footwells would flash when the ignition was turned but I fixed this by resoldering the resistors

Can't get the boot light working though!

16. J.R.

I'm having a problem with the footwells also ...sometimes they come on and sometimes not....I've already used the resistors as guided. Can't think what else it can be :think:

17. Maxumo

Maxumo Member

I found that my solder joints weren't the best so I re-did them and they worked!

Also the bulbs weren't making a good contact with the holders and when you pop the footwell light back in it loosens the bulb it was alot of trial and error!

18. J.R.

Do you have to solder ? As it's not stated in the guide. :uhm:

19. Maxumo

Maxumo Member

Its mentions you need a soldering iron in the original post!

Solder the resistors that's what's probably causing the problems!

20. kshah786

kshah786 New Member

hi, sorry for replying on this old thread. but ive just brought some h501 led ulbs of ebay. and yep, im getting the parking light code. to avoid this error code, where would i put the resistors and what ohms would they need to be. thanks.

21. t8ups

t8ups Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

you are better off buying canbus bulbs for the side lights as they come with built in resistors, i can supply you these if you need?

Thanks
    Trups

22. t8ups

23. kshah786

kshah786 New Member

24. kshah786

kshah786 New Member

can this be used for the front 501 side lights for the audi a3. i have bought led lights of ebay. they do work but then turn of when i switch ignition on. would i just place the resistor across the terminals.

thanks,.

25. Gregzy88

Gregzy88 A3 Newbie

Canbus LED bulbs ftw. I have number plate Canbus LEDs and they look amazing without the hassle of soldering resistors and such like.

26. t8ups