Taking front end off the b5

scr8pdo

Reaction score
As some of you know I recently blew my lump up in my car, anyway Iam going to be fitting another engine in the very near future, I know the front of the car comes right off and makes easy access, but after watching a quick vid on YT (it was acually a V6 but I assume the bodywork to be the same, it was mentioning fitting these special pins in order to remove the front and also mark around the securing bolts with a marker for ease of reinstallation, I just wondered if these pins are critical in removing the front and if so where could I get a set, kind regards Ste :)

Pins aren't needed, but make sure you mark around the bolts to ensure your front panel goes back in the same place, otherwise your bumper can go back on all wonky.

The pins are used to put the front end In the "service position", tbh your better off removing it completely if you swapping the lump out.

Reactions: scr8pdo
Yeh as above. Service position just lets you move the front panel forward a few inches to get access to the timing belt and suchlike.

If your taking it off completely for an engine swap, you just remove the whole thing.

Reactions: scr8pdo
Cheers buddy yeah another mate said you dont really need them, to be honest I thought the pins were for being able to slide the front forward just enough to get to the front ie cambelt etc, but I will mark up the bolts so it goes back in right place, cheers Ste :)