Sunday Drivers

I

imported_migzy

What a day, bloddy monkey decides t do a u turn and ram my car.

Whole passenger side has been ripped to shreds. Only good thing i wrote out the details and got him to admit fault and sign it.

got pics but duuno how to post them, ****** nasty.

Audi's well safe though, got rammed quite heavily and the motor didn't even budge. Luckily didn't have a passenger as the passenger window smashe dto smitherines.

The joys of having a heavy 3.2 ltr aye.

unhappy Migzy :-(

Sorry to hear this fella, at least they have admitted blame, and this should get resolved quite quickly.

Getting them to admit liability (and to get it in writing) is a great move, migzy. It's bad enough to be involved in an accident, but your life should be easier as a result of this.

I work for one of the UK's largest insurers and believe me that piece of paper is worth it's weight in gold ten times over. Guard it like a lotto ticket. If you have to send it copy it 1st and send it 'signed for'.

Unlucky though.

Really bad luck fella. Must be every motorists worst nightmare. Fortunately as you say you're in a car that can take it on the chin!

Good luck getting it sorted

cheers

shame insurers don't offer you a hire car that's like for like.

asked for an SL55 but they would'nt give me one.

I agree about the signing. Someone ran into our mini in September, completely her fault, she turned into a junction in the wrong lane without looking while I was at the junction waiting to go left! She admitted responsibility but we did not get her to sign anything. Big mistake.

2 months later and it's still not sorted. I have two witness statements in my favour but these have to be sent back and fourth and her insurance company hasn't yet confirmed she is liable which is why it's taking so long.

I think it's always wise to carry a pen and paper with you in your car, aswell as a camera/video phone.

Our insurance company offered us a car but it was a Polo. It was actually the garage that offered us a like-for-like car, only on the basis that the accident was non fault.

ok - correct me if I am wrong, but I believe almost all policies now include instructions about admitting blame - as in, if you admit blame, your insurance is null and void, as the company wish to retain the right to determine blame themselves..

The risk then being that if you manage to persuade another driver that it is their fault and get them to admit blame, particularly in writing, you may have just nullified their insurance and you, at the end, become the loser who has to fight for your money in small claims, as they are then treated as 'uninsured'.. Im sure i remember reading an article a year or so back about exactly this happening to someone..

Dont think I would risk it personally! I do however always have a camera with me, and that becomes invaluable in recording pics of an 'after' scene..

That's sounds like rubbish to me mate. I can't see how admitting blame could invalidate your insurance. It's evidence, like a witness statement. It's there to build up a picture of what happened, why is that a bad thing ?

If the insurance company don't believe it, they'll just ignore it.

Insurance policies just advise that under NO circumstances should you admit liability. I don't think this invalidates the policy, it's just to save them money because even if an accident was your fault, they might be able to argue otherwise in court.

At least, that's what happened to my fiancée when she was turning right and a middle-aged woman overtook and ploughed into the side of her Polo. At the time, she admitted it was her fault but of course, changed her story. It went to court months later and because my fiancée was younger, the judge believed the older woman and we lost. The police officer handling the case was utterly useless - even when at the scene he said he could clearly tell the other woman was at fault, but he never showed when the insurance company summoned him.

[ QUOTE ]
The risk then being that if you manage to persuade another driver that it is their fault and get them to admit blame, particularly in writing, you may have just nullified their insurance and you, at the end, become the loser who has to fight for your money in small claims, as they are then treated as 'uninsured'

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard of this in drunk driving cases too. A colleague at work got hit by someone who smelled of alcohol and rang his sister who worked in the insurance biz to check whether he should get the cops. Apparently she told him that would be very risky as it could render said drunk bloke's insurance null and void.

I'm not stating this as fact but it sounds like the kind of excuse some companies would field.

Anyone know definitively what the score is?

You would be insured, becuase his company would pay out and then sue him for loss.

Then send him off to prison for a good bumming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif