Stripped oil drain sump bolt - repair options?

Scullies

Reaction score
So I have been battling along with a stripped oil drain bolt and been thinking about repair options.

Option 1 - weld a npt fitting into the sump then use a Allen head npt plug to seal it off.
Option 2 - weld a AN O-ring fitting into the sump and use a AN O-ring bolt to seal it off.

Anyone tried one of these ideas with a positive result?

Reactions: Beany113
But it's only going to suffer the same fate at the hands of ritard mechanics that change oil. Looking for a ritard proof system :)

The problem with are sumps is the drain plug is 17mm or is it 19mm and as you said retarded mechanics get giddy with the air ratchets when doing them up

Weld in a bung and re-tap it for a smaller thread and bolt size?

The idea was to drill out the damaged thread, fit a flanged bung into the hole and weld the flange on the outside of the sump.
Not sure if NPT is the way to go or if O-ring is better

Well if you are letting ****** mechanics fix your car find another garage.

as far as I am concerned they are all ******* that don't care about your car. I only let them do the oil changes, the rest I do myself.

Could repair it with a heli coil? Would of thought they done them that size. Heli coils are basically springs, you tap the thread bigger for the outside of the coil and the inside coil becomes the new thread for your plug

Just worried a male AN fitting with a cap on the end will stick out too far and get damaged or knocked off by a speed hump.

In Dubai the garages hire cheap labour to do the dirty work, now these people couldn't give a f#*k, they just do their time for their money.
You will never find a garage here where the owner actually works on cars, they all think they are fat cats and sit in the office shouting orders, while they charge you premium rates and pay minimum wage.
Even the dealers are a joke, when I go looking for parts,I have to show the sales guy how to use the parts catalogue! I refer to them as new parts fitters, they just fit new parts till the problem is solved.

As someone said above fill the hole up with weld and rethread with a tap the same size as the sump plug .

Change the oil yourself you lazy git :)

I had similar (ECS magnetic sump plugs are ****e) and fitted a new sump and stuck to OEM sump plugs. Alternatively ECS sell the little "taps". I had one but it stuck out a bit...