Stream music from iPhone into the car

flocam69

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have recently puchased an Audi s3 from 2007.
I managed to pair my iPhone5 with the car using the Bluetooth interface. So basically at the moment I can make calls or receive calls from my car, access the contact list.

I tried to play music from my phone, but it is not played with the car sound system for some reaons. However, when I'm using google maps for direction, the voice sound is played in the car.

I am not really familiar with MMI, Audi navigation System plus, etc.. So I'm totally lost.
I believe this should be a reccurent question on the forum and I appologie for that, but I never managed to find a solution.

Can you please help?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Mike.

Welcome to the site Mike.

Unfortunately the audi BT is just for the phone system, not music.

To get music there are some aftermarket systems, but I don't install these because I need reliability & most clients don't want cables or additional displays anywhere, plus they like full integration.

The option oem system is the AMI with a ami bt dongle, but this requires the newer version of your current head unit rns-e, then the ami is installed on top of this, fair chunk of change, but a great system nonetheless.

If this appeals, then give us a shout as we supply/fit & come to your location if UK that is :)

Welcome to the site Mike.

Unfortunately the audi BT is just for the phone system, not music.

To get music there are some aftermarket systems, but I don't install these because I need reliability & most clients don't want cables or additional displays anywhere, plus they like full integration.

The option oem system is the AMI with a ami bt dongle, but this requires the newer version of your current head unit rns-e, then the ami is installed on top of this, fair chunk of change, but a great system nonetheless.

If this appeals, then give us a shout as we supply/fit & come to your location if UK that is :)

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for your quick answer, much appreciated.
I've got a connection in the central arm rest. I believe I can connect a cradle there such as an iPhone preparation. Doing this, would that let me play my phone musics in the car or is it for a different use?

Cheers,
Mike

Nope, that's just the phone cradle & tbh fairly pointless in this day & age unless you need to charge it & requires the specific adapter cradle for your handset.

FM transmitters are imho mostly shxt, I would never suggest to use one of these to any of my clients.

like I said " but the quality is not the greatest but perfectly usable"

like I said " but the quality is not the greatest but perfectly usable"

I disagree, they're not perfectly usable if you have other stations on the same frequency, they become unusable unless you cut anyother reception than one of these units, but if you go to that extreme, then better to fit a decent system instead of a cheap & imho rubbish fm unit.

Using them in cars of which I've done, will always present an issue as you're constantly moving & stations are added/removed at will, if you were static then yes they would be useful, if no other station was added on the same frequency within your area, so home use yes they would be ok I guess, but in a moving vehicle, waste of time & money.

I ran one for two years issue free in my mx5 where space was limited, I guess you makes your choice and pays your money but for a 2007 vehicle which the original poster owns, if it were me I would be trying the £5 fm transmitter option first before spending £300 notes on a head unit upgrade lol as I stated originally quality is not the best - but im sure as you already know a car is one of the poorest places to achieve good quality sound anyway, each to their own

Guys,

I won't go for the FM transmitters, I tried it in the past and I don't like it.
I've got the BOSE option in my car, so I'm not willing to ruin it using the FM stuff haha!

I think if there's no cheap option to play music from my phone I will just use old CDs or SD cards with Mp3 and that will sort me out I believe.

Do you guys know anything about SD cards? I've heard they have to be not SDHC nor more that 1GB is that right? Is there any restrictions?

Cheers,
Mike

I run a Pioneer head unit that takes SD cards in one of my cars. I use a 32 Gb SDHC card with my entire Itunes library on it and stick it on random.
I think that SD cards only go to 4gb and anything bigger is in the SDHC format. Works fine for me.
Cheers
David

I'm in the process of installing the A3 specific Xtrons unit so I have all the flexibility of GPS, Bluetooth, music etc. might not look quite as good as the rns-e but far cheaper and more versatile, I do like playing with it as it runs winCE 6 so you can adjust it somewhat, upgrade the gps, speedcams etc.

I have been running a different xtrons in my focus for 3 years and it's very good, menus aren't as polished as pioneer etc. but functionality is awesome.

Might do a u-turn and get a RNS-e when funds permit but will try the xtrons first.

what HU do you have ATM? Isn't there an aux in?