Stacey's Belated Yo Yo Build Thread

Yeah deffo , can't wait to see a BT S3 go , might get me to dip my short arms into my deep pockets :D
Pubes is local too :)
An 8L day out to burnham :D ?
Good shout mate burnham has some lovely twistys on the way to it
In the summer I regularly used to go there and back just for the drive in the afternoons between my night shifts :)

By pubes you mean pubemamel?

Yeah pubes as prawn has renamed him :D
Burnham is great , especially embarrassing the power rangers on their bikes that haven't a hope of keeping up due to how severe the bends are :D :p lol

Reactions: StaceyS3 and Prawn
Yeah pubes as prawn has renamed him :D
Burnham is great , especially embarrassing the power rangers on their bikes that haven't a hope of keeping up due to how severe the bends are :D :p lol
Haha power rangers lol

Its definitely renowned and well known as a biking road but im sure our 8L's will more than hold there own ;)

Coming out of burnham it's almost althorne before they can overtake as their either on the brakes or waiting to straighten up to put some power down , bob hope and no hope spring to mind :D

Reactions: StaceyS3
Got a little more done on the car today although there's not a vast improvement visually :)

I continued stripping back the loom to which most of my time was spent unwrapping loom tape :(

Here's a couple of pics of how it currently sits

It really doesn't look like its moved a lot but it's very time consuming and seems never ending with me putting a good few hours in today

The amount of cable removed is really starting to mound up a bit now though

Don't suppose anyone can tell me what this cable is for as really can't remember and didn't lable it? It comes out of the loom around the sub/pass side rear seat?

Does anyone also know how much the crash sensors shut off or are used for in the even of a shunt? I know they activate airbags but do they also shut off electrics etc?

Thanks

That cable is the remote control locking aerial I believe. Cracking work Stacey!

I have seen this kind of photo somewhere before. Good work it never seems to end doing the wires but it will.

That cable is the remote control locking aerial I believe. Cracking work Stacey!

Doh so really didn't want to be ripping that out although I'm pretty sure my aftermarket alarm one uses its own aerial....I hope

Hopefully will get to the end of all this wiring soon, did you remove any of the alarm or the airbag controller stuff Nick?
Top work on yours as well mate it encourages me to soldier on and that there's light at the end of the tunnel ;)

Reactions: Jay A3
All the alarm and airbag wiring has gone on ours, wasn't a fun job but worth it in the end, we took about 6kg of wire out

All the alarm and airbag wiring has gone on ours, wasn't a fun job but worth it in the end, we took about 6kg of wire out

Nice one mate :)
The weight loss is a plus but the main thing I wanted to do is get rid of the all the plugs and loom that poke out everywhere creating a lot less clutter when working on it

When doing the alarm and airbags did you remove the controllers or just sensors/switches as worried of creating to many faults etc. Plan at the moment is try to recreate most of them by leaving them in theyre normal state (n/c or n/o) and assume may have to do some coding for the immo?

Sorry for all the questions

No worries it's your thread. We have taken all sensors out all the central locking has gone too. So the controllers have gone. We have an airbag light on the dash but nothing about the alarm. Not sure if the s3 has a few more tricks then the a3 on this side. We are planning on coding out the airbag or at least trying and getting rid of any other errors or lights. We haven't had a problem with the immobiliser on ours, but then we are not using the key blip to activate it either due to not having that in any more.

It's nice knowing that the wires going to the back are for the lights on the left and fuel pump on the right. Much easier to track. Once we get rid of the electric mirror wires and Windows the front will be even easier too.

Keep up the good work, nice to see someone else not scared to thin wires.

No worries it's your thread. We have taken all sensors out all the central locking has gone too. So the controllers have gone. We have an airbag light on the dash but nothing about the alarm. Not sure if the s3 has a few more tricks then the a3 on this side. We are planning on coding out the airbag or at least trying and getting rid of any other errors or lights. We haven't had a problem with the immobiliser on ours, but then we are not using the key blip to activate it either due to not having that in any more.

It's nice knowing that the wires going to the back are for the lights on the left and fuel pump on the right. Much easier to track. Once we get rid of the electric mirror wires and Windows the front will be even easier too.

Keep up the good work, nice to see someone else not scared to thin wires.

Thanks Nick :)

Don't think I'll be going as far as removing the central locking at the mo, although have thought about it but think it is a luxury that I like and will suite the current alarm I have

Iirc I read on vortex that the ABS can be fully coded out but they seemed to think you needed it installed and healthy to carry out the coding, not sure how true this is though

Needless to say will keep following your thread closely and thanks for the advice....nothing worse than learning the hard way if someone else already has ;)

Reactions: Nick_sheep
I believe the ABS unit controls the brake bias to the rear brakes hence not having a bias valve at the rear like older cars... if you do plan to remove the ABS unit entirely then you will need to fit something to control bias to the rear brakes..

Not sure how coding ABS affects this though...

<tuffty./>

ABS does indeed control the rear bias.

To be honest, unless you're going to get REALLY serious with it, I don't think an ABS delete is really of any benefit to you.

In the dry, with proper tyres it shouldn't really be kicking in at all, and in the wet it's a nice safety net to have.

I believe the ABS unit controls the brake bias to the rear brakes hence not having a bias valve at the rear like older cars... if you do plan to remove the ABS unit entirely then you will need to fit something to control bias to the rear brakes..

Not sure how coding ABS affects this though...

<tuffty./>

Haha I'm such a numpty I meant "air bag system" but some how translated that in my head and came to ABS....really was half asleep in the train this morning lol

The ABS system is staying for sure at the moment

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Prawn is right in the wet you have to have your wits about you if you don't have abs. Our abs system was not working at all when we got the car. I am going to find or make a splitter block to replace the abs block and then put some bias valves in. We won't use ours in the rain much and it is a toy. Plus the roads over here are so crap that you don't want to drive it over 35 for fear of shattering your spine.

Had a little present show up today :)

Only downside is that it'll be around a week before can get it open and have a good look at it :(

Nope not us yet. Will be popping over soon to get one put in. Just saving up for it.

Will probably go to custom cages and will be getting a fully FIA MSA approved cage like prawns style, as we plan on hillclimbing it and won't be using it as a daily hack. Although it is good fun watching Porsches slide across the road trying to corner as hard as us.

Went for the full multipoint in the end from custom cages for the mk4 golf r32 as the floorpan should match the S3 and will hopefully fit with some minor mods, I did some internal measurements and comparisons between the S3 and my mk4 Tdi....plus prawns OMP one fitted

Was torn between that and the clubman, I was going to get the clubman and add most of the extra braces bar the front turret supports but worked out just as good to get the multi plus they don't list the clubman for the r32

Diagram off of they're website

List of the parts in the kit

I think it's definately going to be a bit of a challenge but am strangely kind of looking forward to it :)

On another bit of a random note got some interesting pics of one of the generators at work with some rather large turbos and Intercooler

Reactions: Sam_ and Nick_sheep
How much did you pay for your cage? Can pm me answer if you want. You going to weld it all in yourself?

How much did you pay for your cage? Can pm me answer if you want. You going to weld it all in yourself?
Tbh can't remember the exact price but know it was just over £800 inc vat, I did try for discount from many angles but wouldn't budge at all so paid the list price on CC's website

Am going to be welding and doing it all myself, may get a little helping hand from my little bro at some point if he fancys joining in?

Iirc the cages for the fwd golf were slightly cheaper and had a different arrangement to the bracing

That's handy to know. Only briefly looked into it a cage. You sending off the sample to get it assessed and then get your certificate? I will be calling in a favour from a friend who is a welder by trade, as much as I would love to learn I don't have time at the moment and a cage is the place where I don't want to test my skills.
Can't wait to see yours fitted.

That's handy to know. Only briefly looked into it a cage. You sending off the sample to get it assessed and then get your certificate? I will be calling in a favour from a friend who is a welder by trade, as much as I would love to learn I don't have time at the moment and a cage is the place where I don't want to test my skills.
Can't wait to see yours fitted.

Sorry mate only just seen this reply :(

Thanks :) I really need to get my **** in gear and crack on, I think I will be sending the sample off as although I probably won't need it, I may do one day

Little update although not much

Eventually got the GTX up for sale after sitting rotting in my garage for a year, when I got it out it didn't feel to brilliant, so kindly passed it onto a friend at Essex turbos and he's pumped oil through it as well as a thorough health check and balance

Am chuffed it came back like a new turbo and the bearings are so free that if you rotate the whole turbo side to side in your hands the shaft stays near the same place with everything else rotating around it :)

He also gave the HTA a simular treatment and cleaned the comp wheel right up whilst he was there as had some debris previously chip it

Besides that not much S3 related has been happening :(
I've got the loom nearly as far as I want it and have started stripping some of the alarm loom back to this control unit

I've got to do more research and find out how tied in my aftermarket alarm is to the OEM one before I go much further

Spent lots of time on the dervs at the moment! With the Mrs A4 being the main culprit

I had spent a long time hunting down a smoking and juddering issue which included replacing the injector loom and swapping various combos of injectors about but to my supprise it all came down to the EGR valve

She had the EGR cooler pipe split to which I removed the whole unit and the juddering has never occurred since

All the crap that was binned, used some 19mm silicone to link out the cooler on the coolant system

My dirty derv I also deleted the EGR valve and got round to eventually getting the blacksmoke map I bought months ago on the ecu
It has completely transformed the car with so much toque everywhere and is also smoother to drive, also whilst I was at it I dropped the oil and gave it a new filter

Am hoping that now have got the dervs pretty much sorted bar a map for the A4 I can concentrate on the S some more

Got a few hours on the car today and actually for once feel like have made some progress (although doesn't look like much)

Managed to get all the loom tidied up and tucked out of the way for now to make the next bit of work easier

Off the top of my head the stuff that was removed from the loom and car is as follows

Airbag system including crash sensors
Bose loom and amps (only left the basic cables to the HU and speaker cables to the doors for an aftermarket system)
Seat and seat belt wiring
Some of the alarm wiring
Most of the interior lighting loom
Rear wiper feed and pipework

I then attacked a lot of studs with the angle grinder to make it smooth and get rid of any unwanted bits and burrs. I had gone to far with the spot drill on a few occasions to which these holes I will be filling in at a later date

The car as it currently stands

In my head I've now got to remove the rest of the tar, any other remains of sound deadening, fill and repair any holes in the shell and then eventually onto the cage :)

Have been thinking about various ways to protect bits in the car during welding and am after advice and opinions, have thought about wrapping the loom in bacofoil to protect it by deflecting spatter but not sure about the windows?

Reactions: driftymcgee, <tuffty/> and g60leigh
remove the windows
Yeah that is my favoured approach with a car tent being purchased, which will be a win win as would allow work to continue throughout the winter any weather whilst work is slow

Thing is I've got the usual obstacle with car related tasks.....the Mrs digging her heals in lol

Yeah that is my favoured approach with a car tent being purchased, which will be a win win as would allow work to continue throughout the winter any weather whilst work is slow

Thing is I've got the usual obstacle with car related tasks.....the Mrs digging her heals in lol
Don't most people have this issue, I go with what they don't know won't hurt them kinda approach. That's why I keep my Audi at work

Don't most people have this issue, I go with what they don't know won't hurt them kinda approach. That's why I keep my Audi at work
That is a very good approach to which I usually follow but the car tent down the side of the house will be a hard one to disguise.....might be able to get away with a camo one lol

Reactions: Alex C
Yeah or just get one that is the other halfs favourite colour usually makes things more accepted

Haha did offer it in pink (as much as it hurt) and the other suggestion she said was I can only have one if I live in there to which I immediately said YES I will be able to get it done quicker that way (she didn't like that)

None the less some flowers and chocs later she has said I can get one but the tents needs to be down by mid Jan!

Looks like I need to get cracking :)

Can anyone recommend anything shelter wise and advice on removing the screen?

Can anyone recommend anything shelter wise and advice on removing the screen?

2dca70460ac833c62b37c6ea45d2c6a9.jpg

6a454cc8c53b5fa31af003b3e680cbcc.jpg

Reactions: Alex C and StaceyS3