1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed signal wire?

GeneralWest May 29, 2011

1. GeneralWest

GeneralWest Member

I brought a heads up display unit today that projects a speed readout onto the windscreen. It works in KM and I'm off to Le Mans in a couple of weeks so I thought I'd wire it up for the journey. It needs a speed signal input to make it work.

Can anyone suggest an easy place to pick up a speed signal from inside the car? Preferably without having to take lots of interior trim apart.

2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

behind the dash pod, white / blue. Or even from behind the stereo, IIRC there is a gala signal there

3. GeneralWest

GeneralWest Member

Nice one, thank you. I'll check behind the stereo first. What exactly do you mean by the dash pod?

4. 16Klappe

16Klappe I <3 Panda's! Supporter

The dials themselves :icon_thumright:

5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Isn't it more difficult to extract the speed pulse from the wires if the car has canbus wiring?

6. GeneralWest

GeneralWest Member

That's what I was afraid of. I really don't fancy taking the dash apart. I think I remember seeing a gala wire somewhere behind the stereo on my old pre-facelift S3 but I could be wrong. You can use the aircon display to bring up current road speed so maybe I can find something there.

7. GeneralWest

GeneralWest Member

You might be right. I don't really understand how the canbus system works.

8. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Off the top of my head, you need some kind of adaptor/lead that goes inline with the wiring loom. Not sure from what year the canbus was installed into 8L S3's, but I'm sure later models are.

9. S3 Nattie

S3 Nattie Quattro ist für sissies

Ive taken 2 speed signal for my navi, 1 behind the instrument cluster and the other from some wires in the passenger footwell. I cant really remember the pin numbers but thats were I got my 2 speed signals

10. GeneralWest

GeneralWest Member

For anyone who's interested I managed to find out that my car doesn't have canbus. The speed signal wire was in the main power connection block for the stereo. It was a green/white coloured wire that was in line with the permanent live on the opposite side of the plug. The HUD is now installed and working.

11. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

:sign_pics: