Spacers fitted

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Finally after 2 months I've been able to fit the spacers (just got the tie-bars done yesterday). Right so my hands are brused and I just wish I bought that power wrench sooner, anyway. I've fitted 20mm to the rears and 15mm front, all in all I think it looks good. for some weird reason alllll my suspension noises have gone away (I think due to the tie-bars) but it drives great now, and I've tried it around my area with the worst speed bumps the roads could throw and it took it like a beaut lol. Anyhow enjoy the pics. I bet with 18's I might have a bit more problems but that's for next month to worry about :eyebrows: :

Front before spacers:
Fbefore.jpg

Front after spacers:
FAfter.jpg

Rear before spacers:
Rbefore.jpg

Rear after spacers:
Rafter.jpg

Before:
Before.jpg

After:
After.jpg

Looking good!! :icon_thumright:

What brand spacers have you gone for?

looks allright man, I thought 20mm on the rear would be too much, how wide are your wheels/tyres 8" 225?

it makes it look a lot better, notice any difference in handling ?

Olly_K said:
it makes it look a lot better, notice any difference in handling ?

Yeah I agree, car doesn't look like it's eating the wheels anymore. As for handling the biggest difference has been from the tie-bars, they've made the car feel really solid around the back, kinda feels more raised or just sitting proper for once. I'll drive the car more tonight with spacers and see if there's a difference. (half the time it's just me "thinking" that everything feels different as opposed to it actually feeling different) :shrug:

The S3 Rims are 7.5J, that's why they sit ok with 20mm spacers. 8.5J is gonna sit outside the line of the arch, not sure you'd really need spacers if they didn't foul the suspension. I've got it in my head that this in an MOT fail, certainly worth checking if it's legal.

I defo read a story about the police issuing a vehicle defect notice to somebody that had alloys that didn't fit properly.

I doubt it's an mot fail, why would it be? as for the police I don't think they've got that good a vision to see it a few mm out, even in the pics it doesn't look too far out. Doubt it'll fail or get hassled over, I might be wrong though

Defratos said:
I doubt it's an mot fail, why would it be? as for the police I don't think they've got that good a vision to see it a few mm out, even in the pics it doesn't look too far out. Doubt it'll fail or get hassled over, I might be wrong though

I meant 20mm spacers AND 8.5J rims, would be a fail (i think:think: ) because the wheel would protrude from outside the line of the wheel arch... I don't think the police would hassle you, just that was the story where i'd heard this was an issue.

Righto, this is the criteria a fussy MOT tester might fail an over spaced wheel on:

The tyres are examined to ensure that there is no fouling with any part of the vehicle.

Simply that the rims are more likely to foul the body if they aren't inside the the lip of the arch. Not a defo fail but worth considering IMO.

i think you are right in saying it would be an mot fail, i think it is because of the risk of fouling the bodywork. whether or not all testers are wise to this is another story.

Tallpaul said:
I meant 20mm spacers AND 8.5J rims, would be a fail (i think:think: ) because the wheel would protrude from outside the line of the wheel arch... I don't think the police would hassle you, just that was the story where i'd heard this was an issue.

right with 18s and 8.5 u may have a point, I've got a very friendly mot tester thank god :beerchug:

I would say tie-bars are a must (or at least for me they were). Haven't pushed the car much lately but the back wheels feel more planted or better planted onto the ground. I dunno it's just sitting right and an added bonus for me is that it sorted out my squeaking noises (which I guess were down to the old bars) so I'm very very happy :icon_thumright: