Siezed Nipples

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
yes winter is approaching chaps, all the more risk of the above.....

Anyway, given the fantastic response to my changing the Master cylinder thread...does anyone have any tips on freeing up the siezed nipples on the master cylinder of our A3, ultimate aim is for bleeding purposes as the brakes are utter gash

Soak the area in oil as much as is posible anyway.
And last resort is warm them up with a blow lamp. Making sure you have a dam good fitting spanner

hmm my brakes are a bit crap at the moment i wonder if i need to do this. newish discs and pads front and rear and i just dont get much response from them.

cheers Paul.....ive checked for people who have fitted a new cylinder but the costs are silly, £150 for a new unit from GSF then fitment and im struggling to find anyone who has done one, so assume people fix rather than replace....

animal what are the symptoms mate?

mine have no real bite if that make sense. sorta braking like im getting heat fade but all the time. sound similar?

as said penetrating oil. And a bit of heat. Dont over do it because they do like to snap. Make sure you used a socket instead of a spanner.

Cheers Sports.......

Dave, a bit spongy mate, too much travel when compared to the S3....although better than what they were when we bought the car after being pressure bled

hmm ok ill ask my garage to have a look for me. i may have a tiny leak or something

Just re read the first post,
Why do you want to undo the nipples on the master cylinder?
I had all my brakes ( granted S3 ) bled though with the ATE super racing blue fluid . Non of the fitting on the master cylinder got touched.
My problem was boiled/ old fluid.
Once i changed it ... completely diffrent car.

from what i had read Paul the master cylinder seems to be something that requires bleeding....is this not the case?

even the ex Audi doood who did the last bleed says you need to do it......

I've not heard of bleeding the master cylinder before Tim. Normally just bleed the brakes through the good old fashioned method??

ive read it a few times mate and had the Audi guy confirm it..... thats why i was hoping to be able to have it done

I couldn't get a spanner on mine, so got a 7mm box spanner off ebay and stuck the appropriate size allen key in the other end and pack around with rags to collect the majority of the old fluid. Kinda have to guess as can't see if any bubbles are coming out, but let a decent amount through and should be fine!

Im confused now. My master cylinder has only ever been bled as part of a standard bleed.
The lad who did mine worked for JBS for 4 years and has over 10 years working with brakes on other cars before that,
If there is a diffrent way to do it... im confused.
Hope either way. you get it sorted soon

Yeah pressure bleed mate and also DO bleed the master cylinder. There is absolutley no point at all bleeding your brake lines carefully and then leaving air in the MC.
Hydraulic systems do NOT like air in them and will not work efficiently with air in.
As someone above said, I didn't want to take the charge air pipe off *again* so just used sockets on a UJ and rags spread below, the MC is a very small volume inside so I just opened them up and pressure bled through some liquid.

Tim when I first bled the brakes on my a3 quattro we didnt do the master cylinder and the pedal went straight to the floor, we bled them again and again and nothing changed, read a quick thread from here, bled the master cylinder and bobs your uncle much better brake pedal response, but it still felt lack luster. My thinking there after was - give a car as much engine power as an s3 and you probably need to give the car as much braking power as a S3.

Ps Seized nipples hahaha

Yeah pressure bleed mate and also DO bleed the master cylinder. There is absolutley no point at all bleeding your brake lines carefully and then leaving air in the MC.
Hydraulic systems do NOT like air in them and will not work efficiently with air in.
As someone above said, I didn't want to take the charge air pipe off *again* so just used sockets on a UJ and rags spread below, the MC is a very small volume inside so I just opened them up and pressure bled through some liquid.

There is NO sure fire way of knowing if in aparently needed to bleed the master cylinder.
However, i would have though if air was in there... gravity bleeding followed by preasure bleeding forcing fresh blue fluid through all the pipes would meen it was free from air or old fluid?

After speaking to the lad who did mine... he said a socket would be a better way of trying to get even preasure on the nipple.
How many people have used VAG COM to bleed the ABS unit??