1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saloon with Pano Roof

snakehips Dec 18, 2013

1. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

While I was picking up my car today they had a saloon in the showroom with its roof open. I thought it looked rather ungainly, I suppose because the roofline is shorter than the SB. Anyway, here's a pic of it for those of you considering saloon with pano. What do you think?
    IMG_0399.jpg

2. cpettigrew

cpettigrew Member

Not a fan of that! I think it wrecks the look.

3. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Looks better on 3dr and Sportback.

The 8V Sportback now has a single larger roof whereas the 8P SB had a smaller sliding roof and a fixed rear roof which may have been better for the new 8V Saloon. At least they open fully unlike the A/S5 Coupe that only tilt!!

4. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 S-line owners group saloon

Looks better closed, but it is the design of the saloon, with its coupe sloped roof, not the length, combined with Audi's design of the sunroof. One wonders why they bothered with it on the saloon, did not a german designer stand back and go 'mmmm'?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    TDI-line likes this.
  5. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Nien!

6. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member Team Mythos Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group TDi

I think this falls under the "Just because you could doesn't mean you should" category.....

The saloon has a very sleek profile front to back and in my opinion the pano roof ruins it when open. Not a fan lol:notme:

7. Fragup

Fragup Member

I really like the looks of pano open or closed on my sport back (pics of both on pic thread), probably my favourite option, but on saloon it looks like a poor after thought. Shame as is a great option to have.

8. J6YAK

J6YAK Well-Known Member

Got to say that looks rubbish, pano only looks good closed so not worth the money in my opinion.

9. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

I must admit I was surprised by the flycatcher thing that pops up at the front. Not sure that could look good on any car.

10. cuke2u

I actually agree with you there for all of the A3 models. I also think it really isn't much better inside than a sunroof which are also, these days, a bit of a waste of money and will give issues...

11. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Sorry I think you are all wrong.. Have had Pano roof?open sky for years makes the inside a far nicer place to be and it tilts and opens too. Great option we think.

Not so shallow as only to consider looks.. it's what they do that matters.. and maybe that applies in other walks of life too ;-0

12. Joetidman

Joetidman Well-Known Member

13. J6YAK

J6YAK Well-Known Member

It's not a case of being shallow, it looks c**p!! Totally ruins the look of a very nice car.
    I've never owned a car with a pano roof but had plenty with sunroofs and I always closed the blinds on them as I prefer a darker interior.
    Just my opinion of course......each to their own

14. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

When you are in the car you do not see it.. It looks great from inside and lightens up a small and doomy interior IMHO.. especially with Black headlining.

15. J6YAK

J6YAK Well-Known Member

I agree it does look good from the outside (Closed obviously), but for exactly the reasons you gave for liking it are the reasons that I don't.
    You see I like a dark interior, the darker the better, I don't like driving a fish bowl.

But I can see why people like it as it must let in a lot of light, each to their own bla bla bla

I'm sure you and many others will enjoy your fish bowls.

16. Cumbrian_bob

Cumbrian_bob Member

I dont like the look of that. Might be ok for just letting light in and possibly look really good in the tilt mode. But the slide mode looks odd

If I wanted the sky that much I would buy the convertible

17. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Had an A4 and 5 cabriolet and we also have a convertible currently too. They are a different animal and don't have glass roofs. Living with a Pan roof is great even when shut .

18. cuke2u

You obviously don't suffer from the same 'bird strikes' as we do living on the south coast. Those flying rats get their 'present's everywhere...

19. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

I don't understand ! Are you suggesting birds strike pan roof more than other cars ??
    I am in south too and too many seagulls here to count.

20. cuke2u

No but one could be paranoid. I parked on the seafront the other day and when I came back two of the 'em were having a right old scrap on the bonnet :( Over to Eastbourne tomorrow to pick up the loan'er..

21. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

You must have old and incontinent seagulls in Eastbourne ;-)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    cuke2u likes this.
  22. cuke2u

It has that reputation ;-)

23. cuke2u

The loaner has a pano roof lol!!!

24. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Don't leave it open if you're in Eastbourne !! ;-)

25. cuke2u

With this weather I am unlikely to open it at all :)

26. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Nice to look up through???

27. cuke2u

At a seagulls bum?

28. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Whatever floats your boat in Eastbourne!!

I was thinking more blue sky and sunshine we have here in the SW.

29. cuke2u

Yesterday it just poured down with rain all day, today it is sunshine and showers but I'm too hung over to go out in it and tomorrow its going to be wet again. I've had cars with sunroofs before, they came with them, and they've always had issues. If I want some fresh air I open the window but that's a rare occasion these days. I would never spend a grand on something I can live perfectly without...

30. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Advanced Key cuke??

31. cuke2u

Yes a very useful aide, unlike a sunroof they have a practical use, when you have had them you will know..

32. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

I do know and they aren't that great! I have had advanced Key on x2 A5's and an A7.

First A5 and A7 were factory order by someone else that had it already. Second A5 was a Cabriolet and you had to spec advance key for remote roof lowering and raising..

In total I have had Advanced Key for over 5 years and 100,000 miles of driving and to be honest I would not pay £425 extra for it hence not having it on the S3.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  33. cuke2u

Whatever, the pano has no practical use in my book and I'm not about to get one as my car is in production...

34. PilotAudi

PilotAudi New Member

Pano roof is a great relief from dark headlining in S Line/S model Audis.. It also is great to let in light and enjoy sun and blue skies (easy to hide snow, and rain with the blind) Although it costs c £1000 reckon on getting back a fair chunk of that when you sell it. Pano roof option is becoming more popular! The latest version is even better than the 8P and I for one would rather have a PAno Roof than Advanced Key.. The lifetime cost being very similar.

35. cuke2u

I'd rather Audi offered a choice of headlining, whether you want black or cream and for free like the suspension changes...

PilotAudi likes this.