S4 chain tensioners and guides

s4mark

Reaction score
Well after lots of consideration I've given up with the idea of changing to a B7 RS4 and thinking of keeping with my s4. My question is has anyone had their chain guides and tensioners changed and if so how much did you pay and any recommendations for who to use. Have been getting a few quotes and they are varying so much I'm unsure how much I should realistically be looking at.
Cheers

It is an extremely expensive job, £1k is miles out, just one genuine upper tensioner is £650 and there are two of those and one more cheaper tensioner at the bottom. I would suggest between £3500 and £5000 is what you should expect to pay. JHM Racing in the states supplies a complete cam chain service kit which is $3975.00 USD which is £3000 but that does not include a clutch and DMF which you might as well replace whilst the engine is out. I'm also looking for a second hand engine with a guarantee Which may be a cheaper option but most low mileage engines I've seen are £4500. I'm planning on doing it myself over the winter as I now have a van to use daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an extremely expensive job, £1k is miles out, just one genuine upper tensioner is £650 and there are two of those and one more cheaper tensioner at the bottom. I would suggest between £3500 and £5000 is what you should expect to pay. JHM Racing in the states supplies a complete cam chain service kit which is $3975.00 USD which is £3000 but that does not include a clutch and DMF which you might as well replace whilst the engine is out. I'm also looking for a second hand engine with a guarantee Which may be a cheaper option but most low mileage engines I've seen are £4500. I'm planning on doing it myself over the winter as I now have a van to use daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found a place that gets good reviews near to home that will do it all including clutch, dmf and sort out my leaking rocker cover gasket for 4500 Inc Vat. Might be a lot of cash for a car that's 13 years old now but I've spent lots on it and it's a great car. Why not get it all done and continue to enjoy the car without that issue at the back of mind. Have seen s4s that have had this issue at 40k miles so at 107k I don't think I've done too bad

I've found a place that gets good reviews near to home that will do it all including clutch, dmf and sort out my leaking rocker cover gasket for 4500 Inc Vat. Might be a lot of cash for a car that's 13 years old now but I've spent lots on it and it's a great car. Why not get it all done and continue to enjoy the car without that issue at the back of mind. Have seen s4s that have had this issue at 40k miles so at 107k I don't think I've done too bad

Your not wrong, everybody thinks I'm mad to spend so much money on a car that's only worth £6k but I love it to bits. Mine has just started to get the tiniest rattle on start up and it's at 116k, so if it does another 100k before needing it the chains doing again I'll be happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: THQuattro
Well after lots of consideration I've given up with the idea of changing to a B7 RS4 and thinking of keeping with my s4. My question is has anyone had their chain guides and tensioners changed and if so how much did you pay and any recommendations for who to use. Have been getting a few quotes and they are varying so much I'm unsure how much I should realistically be looking at.
Cheers

How did the job go, is it running perfectly now? Would you mind sharing with us where you got the work done please, if not can you PM me please in case I need it in the future,

many thanks,

Hi. I'm picking the car up on Saturday as can't get away from work early to get it before. They have done some decent road tests and the guy who has done the job said that it's all running and driving how it should now and inlet runner all free and operating as it should however it's still suffering with a vibration from 2000 to 3000 rpm which we thought was the flywheel. He now thinks potentially prop shaft related or a mount so waiting to hear back.

Work has been done at The Phirm in Camberley, Surrey. Found out about them on forums such as this and their reviews were fantastic. Took the car to them initially for complete diagnosis and within 5 minutes I knew that they know exactly what they're doing and lots of knowledge on the S and RS models unlike some other independent garages out there.

Once I have had chance to drive the car on Saturday I will post the outcome of £5000 worth of work. Hopefully all positive

Anyone experienced the eBay timing chain kit?
The febi-bilstein kit priced at £392??

Planning to do mine myself, timing tools are cheap and already got an engine crane and garage. And can drive my S4 b5 instead.

Well just got back from picking the car up and wow. I really didn't realise how down on power the car had become over time. The engine sounds brand new and power delivery is excellent now. New clutch and DMF has also made a huge difference. Parts came in at £2k and labour just below £2k. I agree a lot of money to spend on a 2003 car but I'm so glad I have and don't regret it one bit.

Reactions: DrStrange and THQuattro