S4 Brake upgrade

Neil_S

Reaction score
Thanks to james0808, who prompted me to have a look on ebay last night for S4 brakes and I came across somebody selling calipers and carriers.

As I was only 20 miles away and on the travel today I dropped by to take a look and bought them.

All in all, I am really chuffed, they are off a 2004 S4 which has only covered 28k miles. They are in excellent condition, only a little rust which is easily addressed.

Only £100 too!

The plan is to really prepare these well and paint them with epoxy paint.

I will be buying new lines, discs and pads to fit sometime in spring.

S4BrakeOrigCond2.jpg

S4BrakeOrigCond3.jpg

S4BrakeOrigCond1.jpg

Good find.You will be really impressed with the performance and looks when fitted.
Dont forget the pics.:icon_thumright:

can you get nice discs for these that dont cost a bomb?

pablo said:
can you get nice discs for these that dont cost a bomb?

Going to be having a dig about, on the surface of it, I haven't found many aftermarket discs and pads for the 4.2 S4 at all :(

May have to be Audi discs and pads.

Just took the brakes apart and the seals are looking great, the pistons virtually spotless, all looking good so far.

S4BrakeInitApart.jpg

Good Find guys.

Do you have the back plates too?

I went for Audi discs in the end after trying to source elsewhere.

It's a top mod and boy do they work!!!

S4_Fr.sized.jpg

I bare metal finished mine with a belt sander. Smoothed all the casting marks and used Folia Tec 2 pack paint. Top job :)

BUB :thumbsup:

How much for you to refinish my brakes like that? :p Maybe in silver or black though...

Just like the crown jewels dude, priceless!!

BUB :beerchug:

Hi Neil, just OE S4 pads.

If they're good enough for a 4.2 V8, then they're good enough for a 1.8 four pot!

BUB :thumbsup:

A small update, the cast iron bits of the caliper and the carriers have now been derusted :D

I machined both calipers and one carrier and finished them all with Bilt Hamber Deox-C, one of the carriers being treated with that alone (apart from a little finishing off with a dremel).

S4DerustedCarrier2.jpg

S4DerustedCarrier1.jpg

S4DerustedCaliperIron2.jpg

S4DerustedCaliperIron1.jpg

The cast iron sections are now at a local finishers for powder coating in gloss black.

****** 'ell, You done a good job there, How long did they take you??
Im after some S4 brakes now too...

I spent about 1 1/2 hours machining each cast iron bit, I could have spent much longer, but the key in getting the finish really was the Deox-C which is a derusting solution.

It ate away the final bits of corrosion to really give a super finish.

You could of course shot blast to do the same, but if you don't have access to this or don't want to, then the Deox-C is great.

You mix the powder up in water and leave the item in it overnight, scrub the surface when it comes out and it eats away the corrosion.

This is what it did to the carrier in 5 minutes...

from...

DeoxCDip.jpg

to...

DeoxCDuring2.jpg

Wow. I seriously need to have one of you guys hit my brakes up some time. :) I have a set of B7 A4 front calipers that I'm selling, and they were cleaned up very well and then sprayed with a black ceramic high temp coating, but they aren't as glossy as the Folia Tec pics I've seen, and powdercoating would be nice. How much to get them powder coated?

I found a local family run finishers and they showed me an example of the gloss black powder coating on a frame they are doing and it looks brilliant!

They are going to lightly shot blast to clean off the thin film of corrosion that forms through contact with air and then powder coat, all this and they said £25 should cover it! Bargain.

Cheeeaaapppp!!

Im going to have to take notes for when I find some myself...on the hunt now!!

nice1 neil- been following the progress on DW mate. looks cracking cnt wait to see them on the car!

J7USS said:
Cheeeaaapppp!!

Im going to have to take notes for when I find some myself...on the hunt now!!
Good luck finding them cheap. I paid $500 US for mine from Germany, and I ended up needing new pads and rotors, so there was another $350. Still need to get the SS lines and maybe some slotted rotors.

Theres been a few people on here that have got them Cheap luckily so hopefully Ill be the next one to also grab a bargain!

Eyes Wide open....:huh:

Well that wasn't bad, I ordered the rest of the bits for the upgrade from Southampton Audi today and the total came to just over £350, I'm pretty pleased with that price.

The remaining parts being Discs, Pads, Splash Shields, Brake line from caliper to wheel arch link and clips and bolts.

I have a POR-15 paint kit coming to paint the outside of the discs and the hubs with and should be hearing from the powder coaters soon as my carriers and cast iron parts of the caliper should be completed.

Planning to install this at easter.

Neil_S said:
I spent about 1 1/2 hours machining each cast iron bit, I could have spent much longer, but the key in getting the finish really was the Deox-C which is a derusting solution.

It ate away the final bits of corrosion to really give a super finish.

You could of course shot blast to do the same, but if you don't have access to this or don't want to, then the Deox-C is great.

You mix the powder up in water and leave the item in it overnight, scrub the surface when it comes out and it eats away the corrosion.

This is what it did to the carrier in 5 minutes...

from...

to...

great work there mate and what a bargain. By the way Diet Coke works well on derusting. Cant wait to see end product on car

Look what I picked up from the powder coaters today!

Absolutely thrilled with the finish, exactly what I was after and all for £25, bargain of the century if you ask me.

S4BrakePowderFinish5.jpg

They even did the pad clips too...

S4BrakePowderFinish4.jpg

S4BrakePowderFinish3.jpg

S4BrakePowderFinish2.jpg

S4BrakePowderFinish1.jpg

S4BrakePowderFinish6.jpg

Wanna' ask what they'd charge if I mailed them the exact same pieces and wanted them silver, red, or some other color?