S4 1998 Central Locking Pump

tonybolony

Reaction score
Just got a pump replacement on ebay from an A4 , mine just does not work. Anyway fitted replacement, and first time i did it it worked, and the alarm armed also (via key) , then try to unlock and was ok, but now , try lock or unlock driver door with key and nothing, except maybe the fuel filler locks and unlock, then tried key in boot and heard pump make noise but no door action.

I am now stressed, confused etc etc.

Any help is really appreciated

ok here is the update, never thought a car could wind me up so lol.

Turn key, central locking activates, also activates alra it seems, turn key to open doors, only door that unlocks is the one i use the key on, then the indicators flash like mad and the pump makes a clicking sound (guessing a relay for the indicators) , i am really stuck now and have no idea what to do :(, feel like i just wasted £70

Did the part number match exactly?

Some pumps (facelift?) wont unlock the doors from the key, they will only unlock the doors from the remote.

If you unlock with the key, and open the door, the alarm will go off (ie flashing lights, not sure why you not getting honking, but the siern could easily be fubar)

Open the door and turn the ignition on, and the alarm should stop and all the doors should unlock.

i did try that, and the flashing kept going even though the engine started, i dont know if its and exact part number match as the original non working pump doesn't have the base on it with the part number (great hey!). I have put my original non worker pump back in now, also my window are no longer working, and my CD / Trip display has vanished (though pressing reset has brought that back). Part Number on the replacement pump is 8LO 862 257 P

Whole thing is going from bad to worse!

Last edited:
OK that part number is listed against a 1998 S4.

Is it possible the door microswitches are faulty? Craigs S4 will only unlock from the passenger side if you use the key, as the microswitch in the drivers door is dead. Open the drivers door and the rest of the car stays locked and the alarm will go off.

Have you tried scanning the unit for fault codes?

8L0 'P' is a late a3 pump (but exactly the same as facelift a4 pump)

correct part number for a 98 a4/s4 with remote locking would be 8L0 'G' (or 'H' without remote locking)

if you have a remote fob? it can be coded to work with the pump and in theory would unlock all the doors (but wont work alarm siren)
at the moment the pump is operating correctly as far as i can tell from your description but its in the wrong car and designed to be used with a remote fob

how do i recode the pump? , yes i have 2 remote fobs, and also the master key. Do i need any special hardware to code the pump?

if you have 2 keys then its easy

remote fob coding

1. insert key into ignition and turn on (turn one notch do not start car) does not matter what type of key as long as it is coded to the immobiliser i.e capable of starting car

2. insert second key (fob type) into drivers door lock and turn to lock car

3. press unlock button on fob once (indicator may flash), wait six seconds press unlock button again, car will unlock, remove key

4. open door and remove key from ignition, close door and press lock/unlock buttons on fob, car should now lock/unlock

to code a second fob

follow steps 1 + 2 using second fob to be coded to lock drivers door then press unlock button twice, wait six seconds and press unlock again, then go to step 4

up to four keys can be coded to the pump, for third key you would press unlock 3 times, wait 6 seconds etc.... if you code key two but only press once it would replace key one as you would be storing it in position one

just wanted to say thanks for the help, my car is now full operational on the CL etc.

When the Alarm goes off though its just flashing lights, no horn, is there a way to get the siren going?

if you have 2 keys then its easy

remote fob coding

1. insert key into ignition and turn on (turn one notch do not start car) does not matter what type of key as long as it is coded to the immobiliser i.e capable of starting car

2. insert second key (fob type) into drivers door lock and turn to lock car

3. press unlock button on fob once (indicator may flash), wait six seconds press unlock button again, car will unlock, remove key

4. open door and remove key from ignition, close door and press lock/unlock buttons on fob, car should now lock/unlock

to code a second fob

follow steps 1 + 2 using second fob to be coded to lock drivers door then press unlock button twice, wait six seconds and press unlock again, then go to step 4

up to four keys can be coded to the pump, for third key you would press unlock 3 times, wait 6 seconds etc.... if you code key two but only press once it would replace key one as you would be storing it in position one
hey, i can't figure out whats going on with mine. i got a problem with my power windows and locks and sunroof. i checked all the fuses and i tryed to check the relays. i'v switched the around can't still can't seem to find the problems, i just can't see this all not working at one time. please give me some kind of idea with this. i'v tryed to look at books, but it just gives me the wiring, i can't seems to figure it out. i just need someone who know's about audi's and i'm not the person that know's, so please and ideas on this.

hey, i can't figure out whats going on with mine. i got a problem with my power windows and locks and sunroof. i checked all the fuses and i tryed to check the relays. i'v switched the around can't still can't seem to find the problems, i just can't see this all not working at one time. please give me some kind of idea with this. i'v tryed to look at books, but it just gives me the wiring, i can't seems to figure it out. i just need someone who know's about audi's and i'm not the person that know's, so please and ideas on this.

Last edited:
Have you checked the pump in the boot ?? Whip it off and check for any corrosion on the circuit board etc or any signs of something thats frazzled, or any signs that waters got in it !!

all the above is controlled through the CL Pump in the boot also check to see if you have any power supply at the pump !!

As above, either the fuse has blown or the pump is dead. The pump provides an "OK" signal to the window and sunroof motors to allow them to open.