S3 Starting Problems ???? I Need Help !!!!

jamieface

the only S3 in the villiage
Reaction score
Hi once again guys n gals.Got a new problem with my X reg S3 Im having trouble starting the car wether the engine is hot or cold.I takes 2 maybe 3 attempts when cold and gets worse when it hot can even take upto 10 attempets to start ! This is getting embarrasing now when i have to stop to fill up !!

Well hope someone somewhere out there can help

cheers
j

do you think this could be a problem ?? it seems fine the car turns over ok just wont fire up. i was wondering if the MAF sensor would be at fault ?? im lost TBH all suggestions greatly recieved !

I'm thinking temp sensor if you are having problems starting the car, maybe a scan with Vagcom might show something up? If it turnsover, and you can even do it for 10 times in a row, I doubt it's your battery and I'm not sure if a duff MAF can effect starting the car.

that sounds more like it to me ive just had the rad and cooling fan replaced also the air con heat exchanger
is it an easy job to change temp sensor ?? where can i get a vag com read out ??
sorry for all the questions but im very very new to this only had my S3 for a couple of weeks !!

cheers guys

j

jamieface said:
that sounds more like it to me ive just had the rad and cooling fan replaced also the air con heat exchanger
is it an easy job to change temp sensor ?? where can i get a vag com read out ??
sorry for all the questions but im very very new to this only had my S3 for a couple of weeks !!

cheers guys

j

Vagcom is a diagnostic tool, you need someone with it to scan the car for faultcodes, knackered temp sensors usually shows up as a fault if it's broke, best to get it scanned to be sure though, I'm making a wild guess...

could be crank case sensor had the same problem on my S3 x reg aswell.started after a few turns of the key then wouldnt.if you wonderd were it is its above the casing were the oil filter scerws into and slightly to the right. £20 euro car parts

Have you tried something simple as letting the fuel pump prime?

Turn the ignition on and wait a couple of seconds till you hear the whirring pump noise stop then turn it over...

EDIT : Just read your post again about worse when hot so you can forget the above.

Where can i get a VAGCOM check performed ?? Is the crank sensor easy to change ??
Many thanks guys for the suggestions Ive gotr a little more to go on now !

cheers
j

took me about 20mins once i located the sensor as you cant see it from under the bonnet.it better if you can get the car up in the air.remove the plastic under tray and just above the casing were the oil filter screws into you should see a little black plug thats bolted to the block with a 10mll bolt.GOOD LUCK

actually when I bought my car, i had exactly the same problem. Breakdown guy who came to rescue, tested and advised a new battery. He started the car for me using jump leads, drove to Halfords, bought a new battery, borrowed some tools with the guys there, fitted new battery and problem sorted..:)

I had the same problem a few months ago (Y reg S3). Turns out it was the crank angle sensor (which funnily somehow has some bearing on the fuel pump as well.). Got it changed, and everything is perfect again.