S3 Rear brakes on 2wd?

Can you post some pics of the caliper from various angles? I'm guessing those caliper adaptors (where you bolt the capliper to the supension) are not from a S3...
Did the system came with that little plate saying S3?

Post pictures of which caliper? The S3 caliper? Yes, the anti-squeal plates had S3 on them (I sanded them back, painted, and have new decals to go on).

Yes S3 caliper so i can compare with the ones i previously had on mine...

I thought I already advised there are 2 hub sizes, approx 49mm & 54mm, I reckon you have the difference in sizes as thats the only thing I can see that will make the difference here.

Ahh, by "hub sizes" do you mean the length of the caliper mounting lugs? If so, then yes, that would definitely account for my problem. It is a very small margin (at the time, I said under 10mm, but didn't measure) stopping the caliper bolting on properly. Typical that I would have one of a minority that can't accept the ****** S3 caliper!!! If you ARE referring to caliper spacing dimensions differing by 5mm, this would certainly explain this problem. How very ****** annoying. Did my VIN show this up as being so?

Havnt had chance to check tbh fella.

I thought I already advised there are 2 hub sizes, approx 49mm & 54mm, I reckon you have the difference in sizes as thats the only thing I can see that will make the difference here.

Yes i know, but 2.0 TDi all have 54mm sizes...
Only 1.9 tdi and 1.6 fsi have 49mm hub sizes...

Well something is amiss, so wouldnt discount this just yet, either somethings wrong size/fitment or he's not fitted correctly.

If the hub didn't fit the disc wouldn't also fit the wheel mount...

I'm guessing the problem is on the caliper holder (the part tha bolts onto the suspension).
I'm at work. Later i'll see what ELSA/ETKA can show regarding those parts so we can solve this mistery... :)

Thanks Mr micasb, that would be brilliant. With the disc on the hub, and wheel bolts in to locate it, and then with the caliper slotted over the disc, and one caliper bolt tightened 98% of the way in...for the disc to hit the inside of the caliper, I really can't see what I could have done wrong. Unless, as I say, some foreign body was lurking up in the top of the caliper that I managed to miss. I had the pads in and out, so it would be highly unlikely that something got in, and it was a hard clunk at the top of the caliper. I inspected it all for five minutes or more, and just can't imagine I would've missed something. I'm almost sure I remember witnessing the caliper body making direct contact with the outer edge of the disc - you're making me think I've lost the plot! LOL

If you mean the caliper carrier, stupid question, heeman you did get s3 carriers & not use old ones, hey have to ask as some do make these mistakes.

Ah can see from your pics carrier already attached.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr micasb, that would be brilliant. With the disc on the hub, and wheel bolts in to locate it, and then with the caliper slotted over the disc, and one caliper bolt tightened 98% of the way in...for the disc to hit the inside of the caliper, I really can't see what I could have done wrong. Unless, as I say, some foreign body was lurking up in the top of the caliper that I managed to miss. I had the pads in and out, so it would be highly unlikely that something got in, and it was a hard clunk at the top of the caliper. I inspected it all for five minutes or more, and just can't imagine I would've missed something. I'm almost sure I remember witnessing the caliper body making direct contact with the outer edge of the disc - you're making me think I've lost the plot! LOL

One more thing... Were you using those little dust shields tha had the S3 logo? Because if you don't use it or it's not correctly assembled i think the caliper holder doesn't stay in the correct position wich can take it to touch the disc border...

If you mean the caliper carrier, stupid question, heeman you did get s3 carriers & not use old ones, hey have to ask as some do make these mistakes.

Ah can see from your pics carrier already attached.

X2 :)

Yeah the spring clips hold the caliper in the correct position, so you must use these.

Funny thing is i seem to remember the holders (regarding the susp mounting holes) were a bit longer on mine... I can be mistaken...

Yep, the caliper wouldn't stay anything like assembled for me to fit it had the spring clips not been fitted. As I remember, fitting the spring clips and fitting the caliper couldn't REALLY be done wrongly, but with all this mystery revolving around us, I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility of something being out of place. I am willing to accept that I might have overlooked something, or done something wrongly! If ELSAwin/ETKA searches (which hopefully take three minutes instead of the necessary borrowing/annoyance of me getting the car into a workshop so I can remove things and trial fit again) suggest that there is no alternative but for the brakes to fit, I will have no option but to attempt fitting them again. Thanks for all your replies and input guys, I would be overjoyed if the brakes will fit.

Nigel - I can't remember the diameter of my rear discs compared to the 288mm front discs. Is the front:rear diameter ratio smaller on the S3 braking setup than on the standard setup? If there is a major imbalance, it would probably be sketchy fitting my rears. At the time, I didn't fancy leaving the back end under-braked. Granted, the rear does far less work, but if the front's going to provide more, I'd like to keep the front:rear balance close to factory.

P.S. I'll get to work on a scale voodoo model!

Last edited:
Funny thing is i seem to remember the holders (regarding the susp mounting holes) were a bit longer on mine... I can be mistaken...
By "susp mounting holes" do you mean the caliper mounting lugs that protrude from the hub carrier?

Well, I have some news, the S3 rear disks and calipers are indeed just bolt on! I think I was over-thinking the installation theoretically as opposed to just doing it. The only "issue" is the S3 shields that woun't fit on the standard hubs but I will drill these to fit.

My setup is now complete. Thanks guys! :icon_thumright:

I can only suggest to try again with your install, I used S3 hubs for the fronts, the dealer did say there are two sizes for the hubs with a 5 mill difference between them for the shock sizes.

So the diameter of the damper differs between the S3 and other models? If that's the case, I can't just fit S3 hub carriers, as my dampers will rattle around in them.

looking at ETKA says all the 49.6mm versions have the carrier built in and the 54.6mm just says housing.

Last edited:
So the diameter of the damper differs between the S3 and other models? If that's the case, I can't just fit S3 hub carriers, as my dampers will rattle around in them.

Apparently it should differ, (according to ETKA anyway) it can either rattle around or, not fit altogether. As I said your car's a year older than mine so should be similar. My damper PN ends 031 DC, what's yours?

I will have to take a look, where is the number located?

There seems a few carriers:

345mmx30mm S3 - 8E0 615 125 C
345mmx30mm (im guessing V6?) - 1K0 615 125 B
312mmx25mm -5N0 615 125
288mmx25mm - 1K0 615 125 D

There is indeed a dif between suspensions...
But if you have sport suspension (as yours is a sport version) you shpuld once again have no problem assembling the brake system...

My 2 cars are both sports, considered 05 as yours & both have the brakes fitted, using stock hubs & 345 dust shields & although I have uprated shocks they fit the existing hubs exactly as stock shocks did, same size, so atm I think maybe you have made a mistake fella in fitment as nothing seems to make sense why you cant fit.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll ask the difference between your car & mine interms of stock parts, as if none then tells us where the problem lies :p

****** off! :p

I take into consideration what you're all saying above. I haven't mentioned again recently that my dust shields didn't fit my hub carriers either. What do you buggers say to THAT?

BOSCH%20ANGLE%20GRINDER.jpg

I will have to take a look, where is the number located?

The PN can be found on the sticker on the stem of the shock, might have to clean the sticker a little.

****** off! :p

I take into consideration what you're all saying above. I haven't mentioned again recently that my dust shields didn't fit my hub carriers either. What do you buggers say to THAT?

Well ****** you! One CANNOT fit S3 shields onto the standard hubs, only only S3 hubs. :moa:

Dean's A3 said:
Well ****** you! One CANNOT fit S3 shields onto the standard hubs, only only S3 hubs. :moa:
In the same way that S3 brakes can be bolted onto ANY 8P2 A3 2.0 TDI Sport? :p Will get a peek at my damper part number when I can!

NHN - I was hoping that my differing bolt pattern might explain why the calipers and discs don't go on, if everyone else can bolt their dust shields straight onto their poncy perfect hub carriers.

In the same way that S3 brakes can be bolted onto ANY 8P2 A3 2.0 TDI Sport? :p Will get a peek at my damper part number when I can!

NHN - I was hoping that my differing bolt pattern might explain why the calipers and discs don't go on, if everyone else can bolt their dust shields straight onto their poncy perfect hub carriers.

We can only on the front... As i said stop drinking too much... :moa: